Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 06:18 AM

3 posts, read 13,769 times

Advertisements

HI we are thinking of relocating to LUND or BERYL and it seems that the area is without water, power and work! Are there any folks from there who can give us some advice ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 11:25 AM

2 posts, read 7,217 times
There is underground water everywhere in the valley. In the Lund area the water stands static in my well at 20 ft. Dixie Escalante Power serves the area, but there are many places they don't have lines. The SunValley Estates Subdivision near Lund has power from Rocky Mountain Power on the east side, and Dixie Escalante Power on the west. The area is ideal for wind and solar power. See "www.lundutah.com". Work is where you find it. The valley's economy is mostly agriculture, with no factories that I know off. There is a large green house operation in New Castle, and the Lund area is almost too close to the large Milford pig farms that hire a lot of people. I would like to start a commercial adobe brick manufacturing operation in Lund. The clay and sand are there, along with the railroad. Some day someone like Walmart will put a Rail Distribution Center out there.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:24 PM

281 posts, read 1,185,098 times
chuck is very informative. We live four miles north of Newcastle on twenty acres of sage tucked among the afalfa fields. That's about 7 miles east of Beryl. We got our well in a year ago, water at 153' we went to 200', and are finally starting a house in a week or so. If your looking at land I will suggest a couple things. Be absolutly sure the land INCLUDES water rights. There is a huge hubub going on in the valley with the state water engineer trying to limit water usage. To be safe get water rights with an appropriation date of 1940 or earlier. Also as chuck mentioned it would also be wise to have land that already has a power line strung nearby. This is rural living and you want as many things in place as possible. A well will run, ballpark, between $12-15,000 for 200'. Less if the water is not as deep. But you'll need power to run the pump, 240vac, first. Jobs in the area are scarce. There just isn't anything going on here beyond farming. There are Wal-Mart type jobs in the closest city, Cedar City, but it's an 80 mile round-trip from Beryl. A typical scenerio is people buy land and put a trailer on it to live until a house is built. Sometimes it is and sometimes not. There are quite a few properties where you can see the trailer was just added on to for years. And a few with abandoned trailers. I'm not trying to discourage anyone. Just trying to lay out the facts. Winter can be rugged in a trailer. We're fortuneate that we also have a large barn that we moved the trailer into for winter. And for employment I drive to Vegas. It's a pain but to have this out here it's worth it.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:42 PM

239 posts, read 952,180 times
Lots of good info, maybe not such a rural spot if we have 3 responses from locals so quick!
I live in Beryl, yes, there is cheap land for sale all over. Not so cheap for water, last I heard water rights, if you could find one,5-7k! Then you have to drill a well. Lots of issues.
It is a great place with great people.
Here is an old thread with more info
http://www.city-data.com/forum/utah/...tion-area.html
Let us know if you have any questions!

Old 03-22-2008, 04:17 AM

Cool Lund and Beryl

Hi Guys, Thank you very much for this information and sorry to be so long replying. We have not settled water rights yet but it seems that some people buy in water to a subterranian tank. Without water it ap[pears that the Cedar City authority can deny a build permit. Anyone have any feelings about this ?

Old 03-22-2008, 01:09 PM

281 posts, read 1,185,098 times
Here's what you must have in place before applying for a building permit. Besides the plans of course. You must have power to a meter on the property. Preferably to 200 amp service. You must have a well in place to show you have the water for the house. And you must have a permit for putting in a septic system from the health department. In addition you must get a certified person to perform the percolation test where the septic lines are going in and you must get a certified engineering company to test the compaction capibilitys of the soil so you can build the foundation to it's specs. Even if your thinking of a modular keep in mind that EVERYTHING listed here is still required. Modular salespeople don't nessesarily tell you that. All told, you can easily have $25,000 invested just to prepare for a house before you can pour one ounce of cement. Not trying to discourage anyone. Just want to share what we've learned.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:20 AM

Thumbs up Thanks

Hi, Thanks for this, I am finally understanding what it takes. I own a timber frame ecological load bearing frame and will want to build in that - infilled with adobe bricks.
In the meantime we are going to camp on the land for vacations this year. We would like to stay in touch with you all you've been great.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:19 PM

4 posts, read 9,917 times
I see that these posts are very old, 8 yrs plus. I have 2 separate parcels in the iron county/modena area and someday would like to build a cabin style home for my wife and I and to leave for our kids and grand kids enjoyment in the future. I'd like to know if anyone has a good reference for a contractor that can help from start to finish. I live out of state and will be camping on the land a few times over the next few yrs before we even break dirt for the 1st time. However, I don't want to end up with being in court trying to get my money back from a contractor that really doesn't work lol. I need someone who can get me solar energy, I'd like to get a natural rain water bucket to use nature's gifts of water without having to build a well, if allowed in iron county. I'd like my house as much off grid as possible. Any referrals or info would be very much appreciated. Thank you. PS, we're trying to get this done so we can be closer to my father in-law who resides in Cedar city but has health issues and is declining. Thanks again for your help.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:15 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
If you were in Grand County, I could offer some suggestions, but I don't even know where Iron County is. I know where Cedar City is though. There is a great solar contractor down in St. George we could recommend. He goes all over. We were on solar for over 30 years in Utah and it was great.

I hope someone else responds for you...

Old 03-07-2017, 03:24 PM

4 posts, read 9,917 times
Thank you so much. I was told that it's near beryl rd or something like that in Modena. It's about 35 NW of cedar city off hwy 56 I think it is. I'd have to check my deed and paper work as that has the directions which i haven't looked at since i bought it lol. Thanks again and my wife's dad lives in Cedar City, and her 1/2 brother is friends that build log homes in the duck creek (?) Area and that they'd be able to help when we're ready. I hate being on permanent disability and living on a fixed low income as I can't do what I want like I used to. Thanks for anyone's help or referrals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah