Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 08:08 PM

317 posts, read 652,219 times

Advertisements

The wages were low in Utah long before it became a trendy place to move to. The cost of living, on the other hand, has gone up considerably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 08:58 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,282,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKracken View Post
Hi! My wife and I currently live in the seattle area and our lease ends october 1st. We also have our baby due any day now.

We are low income and young (21&19).

Staying in seattle is not an option, it is way too expensive. We are not very familiar with utah but we did visit and loved it, especially SLC and provo.

My wife is a Nanny full time at the moment and I was going to school full time and no job.

Anyone have any advice on where to live and job hunting in these areas? We are moving october 1st and have 3 vehicles and a cat. Budget is probably 1k a month max. We have over 6k in savings and no secured jobs in utah.
Why 3 vehicles for 2 people? Vehicles are expensive to maintain.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:03 PM

8 posts, read 14,459 times
We have a prius for road trips, my wife has a minivan for Nanny work and then we both have our truck. I would consider putting the truck in storage if it is cheap enough. Can't seem to find a place that allows 3 vehicles.

We started looking at Logan and it is indeed cheaper. We would be more than willing to move there, I just hope there is work to be found.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:03 AM

914 posts, read 973,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcee499 View Post
Sorry, but that's a bunch of nonsense. Besides, OP wants to attend BYU. I think that's a clue...
Not true at all, spent 2 years there and huge social life ! We were back there for a few weeks on vacation this summer and not only have those friends kept in touch but lent us camping gear, met with us and actually felt like I needed a rest when I got back to Europe. Kids were constantly meeting up with their old school friends and did sleepovers and hikes with friends

Our friends are a mix of mormon and non. We went camping with them , dinner, concerts and they have all kept in touch since we left. Some are due to visit next year so sorry that doesn't ring true for me. I never go to any place of worship, am not religious and we live our life the way we always have

Met lots of people through meet up site , work and other areas. My meet up friends after a couple of times met up all the time as traded numbers and we met outside the group in the end and not needed

Old 08-29-2017, 07:40 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKracken View Post
Hi! My wife and I currently live in the seattle area and our lease ends october 1st. We also have our baby due any day now.

We are low income and young (21&19).

Staying in seattle is not an option, it is way too expensive. We are not very familiar with utah but we did visit and loved it, especially SLC and provo.

My wife is a Nanny full time at the moment and I was going to school full time and no job.

Anyone have any advice on where to live and job hunting in these areas? We are moving october 1st and have 3 vehicles and a cat. Budget is probably 1k a month max. We have over 6k in savings and no secured jobs in utah.
I always recommend that anyone moving to Utah or anywhere else land a job before moving.

As others have said, jobs in Utah generally don't pay a lot. People without job skills are not going to earn much money. That is true elsewhere and is true here too. On the other hand, it is not cheap to rent along most of the Wasatch Front.

Understand what you are getting into.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:19 PM

8 posts, read 14,459 times
I wish we had the luxury of having a job before we move, but unfortunately that is not the case. Our lease ends October 1st and we have to be out by then. We couldn't afford to live here in seattle so we need to move somewhere we can hopefully afford. We both really like Utah. Also yes we are both LDS converts.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:48 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,759,259 times
I'm really surprised you folks didn't take a serious look at Spokane Washington. From all I've seen lately a decent job market, lower cost of living overall and nowhere near the vast move you have planned. Also college potential as well. Something to consider if you haven't already. I've even considered a move there myself from Salt Lake. Tons of rentals up there and even the possibility of owning as well. Check it out.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:05 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,855,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
I'm really surprised you folks didn't take a serious look at Spokane Washington. From all I've seen lately a decent job market, lower cost of living overall and nowhere near the vast move you have planned. Also college potential as well. Something to consider if you haven't already. I've even considered a move there myself from Salt Lake. Tons of rentals up there and even the possibility of owning as well. Check it out.
So why are *you* not up there already ?

Old 08-30-2017, 09:05 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,759,259 times
I have to wait till next July to sell our home. I'm investigating land costs and a nice manufactured home dealer with the move and location details. I didn't recommend Spokane for no good reason

Old 08-30-2017, 12:33 PM

914 posts, read 973,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
I have to wait till next July to sell our home. I'm investigating land costs and a nice manufactured home dealer with the move and location details. I didn't recommend Spokane for no good reason
sure will sell quick at Utah property market crazy at the moment !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah