Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 04:29 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,852,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
I have to wait till next July to sell our home. I'm investigating land costs and a nice manufactured home dealer with the move and location details. I didn't recommend Spokane for no good reason
Hope you can do it !
I will not believe it until I see it next year ...

When you will do your *investigation*, you may find that there will be too many LDS people in Spokane ... (for your standards)

Of the 34% who claim to be religious the LDS faith is second after the Catholic Faith ... You better get ready to keep murmuring about all those *nasty*, *loud*, *obnoxious* kids that are there !

Last edited by irman; 08-30-2017 at 04:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 04:52 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,030,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Hope you can do it !
I will not believe it until I see it next year ...

When you will do your *investigation*, you may find that there will be too many LDS people in Spokane ... (for your standards)

Of the 34% who claim to be religious the LDS faith is second after the Catholic Faith ... You better get ready to keep murmuring about all those *nasty*, *loud*, *obnoxious* kids that are there !
I've gotta say in dcisive's defense, your posts are **consistently** snarky and condescending. And I can't escape the conclusion that you're exactly the type that gives rise to the Utah-haters that you seem to hold in such contempt. How about keeping it constructive and on point?

Old 08-31-2017, 06:15 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,666,543 times
Chicken or egg, chicken or egg...

Old 08-31-2017, 08:56 AM

163 posts, read 318,271 times
IMHO, it would be nice to avoid these weird little off-topic exchanges...

What colleges would someone go to in Spokane? Gonzaga?

Old 09-10-2017, 01:29 PM

534 posts, read 1,532,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
I am still trying to figure out the vehicle thing. Husband, wife, baby, and three vehicles. Hmmm, maybe a friend is driving one.

It seems like Utah State U in Logan or Weber State U in Ogden might be cheaper options for housing. Or Southern Utah U in Cedar City. Depends upon the major. General business studies, for example, can be done just about at any school.
There are practically no rentals in Cedar City for SUU. My kid and fiancee ended up buying a condo because the one place they found to rent is much higher than a mortgage will be. The problem? He got a good job, but it's so remote that there is nothing for her in her field that she just got a degree in.

Rentals are so bad in Cedar City for SUU students that I found a newspaper article from a couple of years ago asking residents in town to rent out rooms to students.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:45 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,295,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
I've gotta say in dcisive's defense, your posts are **consistently** snarky and condescending. And I can't escape the conclusion that you're exactly the type that gives rise to the Utah-haters that you seem to hold in such contempt. How about keeping it constructive and on point?
No one here holds all the truth and wisdom. Some posters though are consistently negative about virtually every aspect of living in Utah. I'm sure there are people like this from all over the country.

I have lived in Utah my entire life and I find much that is both good and bad about it. I think, overall, Utah compares well to most of the country. I can see though how seemingly small things could make a big difference. If you aren't a fan of organized religion or if you belong to a minority religion and end up in a neighborhood that is almost entirely made of solid Mormon folks you could feel ignored and very unhappy. If you don't have small children, you might be irritated at a state with a birth rate that is the highest in the country. If drinking and hanging out in clubs or bars with your friends is a big deal to you, than Utah is probably not a good place for you to live. If you aren't a fan of the outdoors, Utah may be a poor choice as a place to live. If you want the very best education for your kids in America, but cannot afford private school, Utah may be a bad choice because our public school system is underfunded. If you hate conservative politics and have reached a point where you just want to tune it all out than Utah is probably not a good state for you.

No one likes pure negativity. If Utah isn't your cup of tea (herbal or course http://pics3.city-data.com/forum/ima...lies/smile.gif ) than its time to find greener pastures. Life is too short to suffer in a place you don't want to live in.

Its important to remember though that you maybe no happier in your next location. Succeeding in any area of the country requires some ability to adjust your attitudes and expectations.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:37 PM

317 posts, read 651,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

No one likes pure negativity. If Utah isn't your cup of tea (herbal or course http://pics3.city-data.com/forum/ima...lies/smile.gif ) than its time to find greener pastures. Life is too short to suffer in a place you don't want to live in.

Its important to remember though that you maybe no happier in your next location. Succeeding in any area of the country requires some ability to adjust your attitudes and expectations.

I drink wine, coffee, don't belong to a specific relgion and am not a hardline conservative -more Libertarian I do my thing, you do yours, as long as no one is hurting anyone, it's no one's business- and I do fine here, so YMMMV.

An ability to blow off the judgemental/nasty while not dishing it out oneself is helpful.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:00 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,757,641 times
I have to say that personally, I haven't really had a particular focus on dislike of Mormons. Frankly they've typically treated me with respect so I don't have an issue with THAT. What I DO have an issue with however is the complete seemingly lack of consideration of the Legislature to take a bit of the tax burdens OFF of seniors who are less capable of dealing with an ever increasing tax burden. Which is of course levied upon ALL the taxpayers regardless of age (which in the first place I consider wrong and lopsided). When one is in their 20's, 30's, 40's and sure even 50's they are generally on somewhat of an upward swing in terms of income (or they should be). They are also typically going to be in the middle of having, raising or taking care of children........am I wrong?

So fast forward to one's 60's, 70's or 80's (if they make it that far). Time to wind down. Consider retirement or semi retirement....enjoying life a bit more before it all runs out. What one does NOT need at that age is a government that is continuing to dig nice and deep (if not deeper each year) into one's funds left or provided at that time. Yes indeed I DO respect and further admire the States that do NOT tax Social Security at all period. It's as it should be (not the case in Utah). 2nd there are no particular deductions allowed for a Senior regarding taxation (available in many States especially out West). You can NOT argue this away regardless of your agenda. To do so is ignoring most seniors realities, perhaps not your own.

So let's talk about the Pro's and Con's. If I may......
Pro's. Salt Lake has the following. Ton's of great restaurants, some of the finest health care you can possibly get (make sure your insurance is up to date and great coverage however this I can tell you from my direct experience). In my opinion thus far IMC (Intermountain Health Care) has the finest hospital (superior to University or Jordan Valley) for both care, technology and oh man the food is superb. Tons of great car dealerships where you can if you know what you're doing, get a great deal on a new vehicle (one reason there is such a nice high percentage of newer vehicles on the roads around here). Some of the easiest roads to get where you need to go (although of course I-15 is a nightmare and can easily be avoided for moderate and shorter jaunts in town). Plenty of theater, music, hiking, biking, skiing and more (one of the obvious reasons people came here in the first place). If you have the $$$ there are nicer areas you can live. So let's move onto the negatives.

Welcome to big city life. Like it or not due not so much just to the population boom but the types of individuals that have migrated here, there is a significant increase in our crime. Yeah, we have gangs (several imports from So Cal) as well as Tongan gangs which won't hesitate to use their guns. There have been numerous drive by's and robberies from this wonderful group of folks, and it's been slowly getting worse. The GOOD news is this activity IS in a fairly isolated group of areas. I won't be starting a new thread over it, and it has offended a number of forum members that seem to love the areas of interest, but we have what we call "West Valley City", Taylorsville as well as "South Salt Lake" which are without a doubt THE areas if you have the $$$ avoid. Sorry, I CAN support it with facts but as I said won't go into that once again, we've argued that before in this forum.

OK with that negative covered, with the increase in population you know one gets worse traffic. Yep, it's happening and gradually getting worse. Constant re do's of the Interstate and primary roads causes one after the other backups, so if you commute to your job.....well....good luck with that. Here's yet another....Air Quality. yep lots of discussion on this one. No argument to be had. Buckle your seat belts and hand out here from November through February and note the "Bejing Like" air qualities we'll have for days on end due to the "Inversions". So if you have compromised lungs, you DON"T want to be here.

If you LOVE to be around children day in and day out.....you've found your nirvana. If you're the opposite and feel there are places FOR and NOT for children to be hanging out, you won't want to be here. Parent's here take their kids EVERYWHERE and do I mean EVERYWHERE. Yep the noise levels come with it. Just try to go to a Texas Roadhouse or GoodWood any evening at 5pm on (what I like to call the "witching hour"). You won't be able to hold a conversation without yelling. I say this as I happened to live in the Bay Area back in the 80's for 10 years and my wife and I were easily able to enjoy restaurant after restaurant that were delightfully devoid of children it seemed, for whatever reason I don't know. Just guess there parents had babysitters

I'll end this discussion with the final subject of "Taxes"........ah yes. Maybe not the utterly absurd levels of California, but by NO means the reasonable levels of Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Wyoming and Colorado. If you're a young couple and you're making well over 60k-80k a year you begin to have a chance. If you make much less than that don't plan on getting far ahead.. If you are a senior put your tax helmet on. Property taxes go UP each and every year without missing a beat. The largest of them all of course good old schools. With the highest birthrate of the country guess what that brings, subject closed. Ahh yes the drivers. If you are not a professional level DEFENSIVE driver that is a bit of a psychic mixed in, you won't find the driving experience here much fun. They are to coin a phrase "NUTS". Much of it comes from a "Me First" mindset as they always want to be in front of you no matter how fast you're going. 2nd turns without signals is standard as is blowing red lights. So keep both eyes open and alert and assume NOTHING. Red to them does NOT mean stop.........it only means "think about stopping". Tailgating is also quite standard and if you're smart you'll avoid mommy loaded vehicles such as the big SUV's and MiniVans loaded with the wonderfully distracting kiddies keeping mommy's mind off of driving. Ok I'll let it all go with that. If you feel you're a fit for moving here go right ahead. Just have both eyes open.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:51 AM

91 posts, read 149,582 times
I’m a Utah native getting ready to move back after 5 years in Colorado...and we still visit 4 times a year and all my family lives there. I am not LDS and never felt it was a problem growing up...and I grew up in Brigham City. Wages in Utah are honestly not that much different than COS. I think the OP would also do well to consider Weber State and the Ogden area. Ogden is really starting to gentrify. I graduated from WSU in 2001 and the difference in the city is amazing. Ogden is also less “Mormon.” I have to agree with the hospital system. I am a nurse and the hospitals in Denver and Seattle are no where near as good as Utah. The outdoor life is second to none. Yeah the inversion in the winter is gross, but drive above the tree line and you will be fine! Utah is beautiful! National parks, world class ski resorts, fantastic hiking... the pros so outweigh the cons! Even my non native tattooed evangelical husband loves Utah more than anywhere else!

As for the traffic, the OP is coming from Seattle...nuff said. Traffic is nothing in UT compared to that. Drivers suck everywhere people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah