Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 12:11 PM

14 posts, read 27,423 times

Advertisements

Good day, everyone!

I have visited Utah five times in the last three years and I have to say, I’m impressed with the state. The scenery, snow, dry climate, and robustness (for their sizes) of places like SLC and even St. George all speak for themselves, but what has most impressed me about Utah is the polite, congenial and laid-back nature of Utahns overall. People still give the friendly wave on country roads, deliver polite and even friendly customer service in stores and restaurants, those good things (and they aren’t unique to Utah, but I notice them more there). It also helps that my job market is slowly making inroads and growing there—a prime opportunity for me to move to Utah and maybe grow a career there, and maybe buy a house and build a more stable life.

To be honest, Utah is my top choice, though I’m also open to Colorado, Nevada and New Mexico. All different, I realize.

For context, previously, I’ve lived in Tennessee (still love, but also overstayed my welcome as a native), Illinois (love Chicago, but the taxes and politics are as bad as you hear about them being), California (amazing state, actually great people overall, but incompetent governance), and, currently, Texas (great business climate, but terrible summers and unpleasantly odd culture, I actually find people here to be friendly and prickly at the same time). I’ve also lived in Singapore and Denmark, and enjoyed those, though they were only supposed to be stepping stones/temporary stops anyway. I’ve never married, and I’m mid-approaching-late 30s, childless, inactive Christian, straddle the line of introvert and extrovert, right-libertarian/moderately conservative politically.

I guess...why shouldn’t I move to Utah, namely the Wasatch Front area, sometime in the next 3-4 years, or ever? For example, I’m already aware of the seasonal inversions, but then air pollution can be much worse in L.A., California’s Central Valley, and even the most industrial parts of Houston, to provide examples. The cost of living may be going up around SLC, but it also is around Texas’ big cities.

Thanks, y’all.

Last edited by wackyafterfirstglance; 04-25-2019 at 01:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 03:12 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,553,607 times
You seem to have a positive impression. Utah is a popular relocation destination, and it is a growing state. If you like it, have a good opportunity, and can support yourself, why not?

Old 04-25-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
You seem to have a positive impression. Utah is a popular relocation destination, and it is a growing state. If you like it, have a good opportunity, and can support yourself, why not?
That’s the thing. What I have right now in Texas is something that can position me to excel pretty quickly in my career, even more. I just want to be sure I stick around long enough to make my resume really shine with what I accomplish here, but I just don’t want to be in Texas any longer than necessary.

I already acknowledge that my income-to-cost-of-living ratio will likely decrease a bit in Utah as compared to many states these days, including Texas. I’m not worried.

Old 04-26-2019, 03:12 PM

325 posts, read 963,415 times
You mention your career. It would help if you expand on that. You don't need to be specific, but it will help people to get a feel for your ability to earn the money needed to fully enjoy what Utah has to offer.

Old 04-27-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altajoe View Post
You mention your career. It would help if you expand on that. You don't need to be specific, but it will help people to get a feel for your ability to earn the money needed to fully enjoy what Utah has to offer.
My work basically involves a marriage of architecture, urban planning/design, and public policy thereof.

It seems that the Wasatch Front is a growing market with regard to this type of work.

Old 04-28-2019, 04:22 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
It’s great.. We moved from FT -> UT -> CO -> TN (Knox) -> upstate NY -> Ut and won’t be leaving. My ashes will be spread here...

Old 04-28-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
It’s great.. We moved from FT -> UT -> CO -> TN (Knox) -> upstate NY -> Ut and won’t be leaving. My ashes will be spread here...
Yeah, that's quite a variety of states you've lived in...

That you've left the most desirable state on the East Coast for one of the more sparsely (for now) populated states in the West says something about how much you like Utah (or maybe how much you don't want to go back to Florida, I don't know which...)

You've lived in Colorado, too, I see. As I mentioned, I'm interested in Colorado, but most interested in Utah.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:13 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,279,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackyafterfirstglance View Post
My work basically involves a marriage of architecture, urban planning/design, and public policy thereof.

It seems that the Wasatch Front is a growing market with regard to this type of work.
I find this curious, as I find nearly the entire Front to be one long strip mall. Maybe you can improve it?

Are there really any areas that aren't already built up around SLC? I'll admit I'm less familiar with that area currently. I grew up in UT, and only come back for the occasional visit, so am more current with Provo and areas south of there.

For me, I moved to the East when I was 18, and fell in love with it. As much fun as we have visiting home, I'm staying out here until the day I die. Unless someone is offering me a job that pays boatloads, I guess. Then I'd move back upon retirement.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:15 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,553,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I find this curious, as I find nearly the entire Front to be one long strip mall. Maybe you can improve it?

Are there really any areas that aren't already built up around SLC? I'll admit I'm less familiar with that area currently. I grew up in UT, and only come back for the occasional visit, so am more current with Provo and areas south of there.

For me, I moved to the East when I was 18, and fell in love with it. As much fun as we have visiting home, I'm staying out here until the day I die. Unless someone is offering me a job that pays boatloads, I guess. Then I'd move back upon retirement.
I think the East Bench area, Holladay, and Cottonwood Heights have an established and balanced feel. I also feel that the Alpine and Highland area, while pretty bland, is still bucolic terrain. Otherwise, I agree with you, much of the Wasatch Front is very poorly done.

Old 06-30-2019, 12:36 AM

255 posts, read 219,556 times
While the outdoors are beautiful, the real major problem I have here is the power and influence the LDS Church has over the political landscape. Some people say there is a separation of church and state. While that is generally true, it is far less so in Utah and SLC in particular.

In the last 12 months (I don't recall exactly when) a bill was put before the state legislature to legalize all forms of marijuana, not just allowing it for medicinal use. The vote went to the people and it passed by a huge margin. That same week the Church went into the legislature and completely supplanted the will of the people in a POLITICAL matter. Using their influence over members of the Church in office to revise the bill to reverse that decision and limit access to cannabis to medical-grade only.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...asses-medical/

If you are a member of the LDS faith, then Utah is your Shangri La. If not, it can be a trying place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah