Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 05:03 PM

5 posts, read 16,565 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I are moving from Seattle to Utah, and we’d like to hear your opinion about Sandy/Draper areas.

I am kind of LDS (not super active), but my husband and kids are not. We basically want to move to a place where there are 4 seasons, fairly conservative, not too expensive (houses around 300K), and where I can bike or walk to a grocery store and gym (not be car-dependent).

I've heard Alta High School is excellent. My 15yo daughter is not LDS, so I was wondering if that would be a problem there.

Thanks for any advice or comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 07:21 PM

550 posts, read 2,169,193 times
I can tell you not being LDS won't be a problem first hand. I was fifteen three (scratch that, it's four now! the time flies...) years ago at Olympus High, and no one gave a damn what religion you were. So don't have your daughter worry, she'll be just fine.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 4,636 times
Check out daybreakutah.com. A great community in South Jordan Utah with a mix of nice people!

Old 03-19-2009, 03:51 PM

74 posts, read 129,293 times
Honestly, I would recommend Jordan high over alta. I grew up in this area and have many close friends who went to alta and have been told that it is a very snoody school. You get judged on what car you drive or what kind of jeans you have on. I went to Jordan and loved every minute of it!! Plus alta is very over crowded with students!

Old 03-22-2009, 07:08 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
I think you'll fit in fine and you have just the right idea!

Old 03-24-2009, 10:37 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,239,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMegan View Post
Honestly, I would recommend Jordan high over alta. I grew up in this area and have many close friends who went to alta and have been told that it is a very snoody school. You get judged on what car you drive or what kind of jeans you have on. I went to Jordan and loved every minute of it!! Plus alta is very over crowded with students!
that is any high school..

I love sandy and draper, draper a little more because it tends to be a bit newer and there are some insanely nice views up on the hill in draper. Although being up on the hill makes your walk to the grocery store a bit of a challenge haha

Old 04-08-2009, 04:31 PM

5 posts, read 17,454 times
We moved two years ago to Draper area and we love it!. Our kids of course are not in Highschool yet, but I can say that so far I have not heard but great things about both Jordan and Alta Highschool. You can always make it the best if you approach either place with a positive attitude.You will find good and bad in all places. We have friends that have kids going to school in both places and they love it! Good luck! I recommend you visit both before you make a final decision!

Old 04-11-2009, 02:34 PM

347 posts, read 1,567,540 times
I would second the idea of being on the west side near daybreak. Lots of kids. Being a part-member family is pretty normal in Utah.

The Salt Lake valley is not nearly as Mormon as everyone expects. Utah Valley sure is, though (that's the Alpine-Provo area)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah