Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2009, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 13,608 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this is a wrong question to put in this forum, but this is the only good Utah forum I could find.

I'm currenty 15 years old looking to earn some cash (and of course it's summer so why not), and I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a job in Ogden, Utah? Please post stores/places where I can/could find a job around where I live {(Ogden, Utah) Where I can get minimum wage (or more), work for (I don't know) around 4-8 hours (if you can work for 8, that would be nice), etc.}. Does anyone know any places that'll hire at 15, I'm kinda hoping for some type of grocery store where I can stock shelves or something around there. And if you know a website of the store, where I can get an application, that would be great!

Well just name as many stores/places that'll hire at 15, in Ogden, Utah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 10:05 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Kc, I thought I would offer you a reply. The labor laws are such that it is hard for an employer to hire young people under age 16. In short, they have an entirely different set of rules they have to follow. Unfortunately, you have also picked a bad time to be looking for work since the economy is in a recession right now. In the future, I also have this suggestion. You need to begin your job hunt long before school ends. By June, you are competing with a whole lot of kids competing for a limited number of jobs.

I don't know of anything in Ogden, but I will make this suggestion. If you can find transportation (the buses and the commuter rail run there) apply for work at the Lagoon Amusement Park in Davis County. (801) 451-8000. I know that Lagoon does employ some fifteen year olds.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:17 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,972,575 times
Along those lines, I wonder if Cherry Hill resort would hire 15 year olds, too....It would be closer for him. Other than that, is there an area where you live that is mostly senior citizens? Many would be very willing to pay someone to mow their lawn, walk their pets, do yard work, or some house work for them.
You really just have to be a bit creative in your thinking. Are there some stables near you? Would you mind mucking stalls? Start pounding the pavement and putting yourself out there. Jobs won't come banging on your door. That is true no matter how old you are.
Good luck!

Old 06-12-2009, 10:51 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,157 times
I live in Davis Co, and I know of a few 15 yr olds with jobs. They work at non-chain grocery stores (Bowmans is one), and I think at a non-franchise craft store. I've also been told that the snow-cone kiosks hire 15. Good luck!

Old 06-13-2009, 06:56 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,515,132 times
I would think you'd have better luck trying to find odd-type jobs around your neighborhood (mowing lawns, yardwork, etc). My neighbor's son had a riding mower that he would ride around to peoples houses and cut their lawns, charging less then a landscaper would. People are looking to cut costs and may be willing to pay you to cut their lawn.

Also...you should be commended for actively looking for work. Much better than just wasting the summer away! Good for you...that initiative will serve you well!!

Old 06-02-2014, 09:16 PM

2 posts, read 7,921 times
i am 14 and i have the same problem

Old 06-02-2014, 11:07 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,720,997 times
Ariah, type in web searchbox your state name followed by child labor laws. It will likely say what types of jobs 14 & 15 year olds can do.

Federal labor laws likely apply to hours. 14 & 15 year olds may not work more than 3 hours on a school day, & may not work past 7 pm Labor Day-June1. 14 & 15 year olds can work until 9pm Jun1-Labor Day.

If you go to city-data.com/ (access with click at top of forums) & go to your city, it will give you (near the bottom) a list of businesses, with # of locations for each. If you go to Google map & use maximum enlargement, you can see which businesses are near your home. If you go to a company website (probably the name of the business followed by .com) it may have a click-on for jobs by location indicating positions open & qualifications. But many businesses like restaurants may be franchises, so you may need to call or visit those locations.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:02 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,811,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
I would think you'd have better luck trying to find odd-type jobs around your neighborhood (mowing lawns, yardwork, etc).
I made a lot of money doing that as a teen (and my kids are doing it now). Simply go door-to-door inquiring if people want their lawn mowed or have other chores to do. In the Fall, it's raking leaves. In the Winter, it's shoveling snow. I continued to do this type of yard work all through college as well. After I was doing it for about a year I had to start turning people down who wanted their yards done - I had more work than I had time. And, the way I saw it, I got paid to work out and was in great shape.

Bill

Old 06-05-2014, 12:05 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,595,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
I would think you'd have better luck trying to find odd-type jobs around your neighborhood (mowing lawns, yardwork, etc). ... People are looking to cut costs and may be willing to pay you to cut their lawn.

Also...you should be commended for actively looking for work. Much better than just wasting the summer away! Good for you...that initiative will serve you well!!
I would also suggest jobs around your neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTES View Post
I made a lot of money doing that as a teen (and my kids are doing it now). Simply go door-to-door inquiring if people want their lawn mowed or have other chores to do. In the Fall, it's raking leaves. In the Winter, it's shoveling snow. I continued to do this type of yard work all through college as well. After I was doing it for about a year I had to start turning people down who wanted their yards done - I had more work than I had time. And, the way I saw it, I got paid to work out and was in great shape.
I would recommend that you create a flyer to hang on doorknobs rather than knocking on doors--unless you know all your neighbors. I seldom answer my door if I'm not expecting anyone. Don't want to be bothered. But would love to receive a flyer from a motivated teen to help me with various projects.....but I live in SL County.

Focus on senior citizens with minimal mobility. The might need help with changing a light bulb, changing batteries in smoke alarms, dusting cobwebs, doing their laundry, lifting something heavy, minor repairs, weeding a garden, figuring out their electronics, picking up their prescriptions (using your bike or walking), reading to them, companionship, etc.

These odd-jobs would look good on a resumé when you're old enough to be employable at a business. Plus, you might get some letters of recommendation too.

Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: