Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 12:10 AM

15 posts, read 49,333 times

Advertisements

i always tip 20-25. not because im a big spender or anything like that, lol. i just feel better about all the things i ask for during the meal if i know im going to leave a decent tip. more bread please, more water please, more sauce please, and all of my minute questions about the menu.

the weird thing about tipping is that you reward (or whatever), in an almost anonymous way (ive never seen a server come to the table while im putting on my coat and say WOW, 22%!), after the job is done. how often do you really see that same server agian? it just seems backwards. tho, before ordering, laying your cash on the table with a flourish and a wink in order to get that 27% tip service you are willing to pay for seems a bit weird to me.

basically, i go for the food, not to pretend im a king for the day.

butter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 02:35 PM

27 posts, read 95,174 times
I start at 20% tip and work up and down from there. It's rare a server gets less than 20% but it happens. I expect to get service and if the service isn't there, I deduct. That's life...

Old 07-24-2008, 09:31 AM

3 posts, read 7,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanenlori View Post
Wrong!!! My kids have a favorite and we go again, and again, and again............
I also have favorite servers,one's that treat us right and get rewarded for it.

Shawn, I think telling the manager that you had great service is a wonderful idea. Maybe if these people felt a greater sense of accomplishment they woulnd't expect a handout. hummm????????

Regardless of telling a manger yes it gives a sense of accomplishment but thats not gonna pay my bills. yes we don't have to do it but we do it because who is you obviously are not. a restaurant has two options when it comes to wages 1. raise prices to cover wages or 2. Increase our tip out percentage. well they go with 2. The companies only care about keeping down labor costs so yes we rely on tips just to get minimum wage or even have an 8-15 dollar an hour job.

If a server makes 250 in one shift on an 8 hour shift which would be dinner 20% goes to bussers and the bar then another 15-20% to the Expo who is the one that makes sure your food right. oh and we are taxd if we don't report at the most 100% of our tips you do have to pay it back on our taxes. so NO its not a handout if you dont think i deserve 10-20% dont bother leaving a tip cuz im not looking for a handout from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: