Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 04:48 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,962 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on coming back out early to mid January, will be at Alta and Snowbird four days and Park City five. From what I see so far snowfall seems to be behind schedule, but I am assuming conditions will be fine by the time I arrive. Is this assumption correct?

P.S...I would like to see some powder conditions, it does not have to be epic.

Any input most appreciated.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 05:38 PM

498 posts, read 1,455,900 times
There's no way to tell what the snow will be like in January, but it's a pretty safe bet that it'll be good. It's well into the season anyway, unless you come on a really bad week, you'll be fine.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the conditions, I took a leap of faith and booked the trip.

However, as I am not staying at one of the downtown or suburban S.L. hotels I do not qualify for the discounted "Superpass" for four days of lift tickets at Alta/Snowbird (can still get a Superpass, but the four day rate without qualifying accommodations is about $245.00)

Canyon Sports sells discounted tickets, but all locations are in the valley and I will be taking shuttles that only go to and from resorts. Will also be staying in Park City for about four days. I have heard some of the shuttle services sell discounted tickets when you use them, do you know of any services that are better than others, or any other venue for savings on lift tickets...?

Old 12-01-2009, 12:27 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
I've skied all over Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and Utah, and the best powder skiing I ever experienced was at Alta in January. There should be plenty of snow then; powder depends on luck. I wish you the best. The one day I got into deep powder there was FANTASTIC!

Old 12-01-2009, 07:13 PM

97 posts, read 220,257 times
Well, at the moment, the snow conditions are minimal. But, by January, things should be 'normal' Depends on MA-nature
If'n it ain't, a lot of folks around here will be a hurtin

Old 12-02-2009, 12:07 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
I've purchased discount tickets for my nephews before from Harmon's Grocery store. Can't remember which resort they were for but they're snowboarders. Looked on Harmon's website and didn't find any info regarding this.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I've purchased discount tickets for my nephews before from Harmon's Grocery store. Can't remember which resort they were for but they're snowboarders. Looked on Harmon's website and didn't find any info regarding this.
Thanks for the tip, the problem with the discount tickets and the least expensive Superpass is you have to go to the locations (i.e. Harmon's Grocery or Canyon Sports) to purchase the tickets or stay in a qualifying S.L. Valley hotel for the pass. The idea being if they get you in the store you'll buy something else while there, and the hotels get the booking.

Behavior Modification has marketing uses and does not solely exist in the realm of therapy. Although many consider shopping therapy...LOL

As I will not be renting a car and going fom place to place by shuttle, I will not be able to stop at these locations. Hopefully I can find a ticket discounter that will discount for pre-paid tickets that the can send in the mail or give me a printable voucher of some sort. The Park City hotel I am staying at has a concierge service, but have not been able to reach them yet.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:31 PM

835 posts, read 2,076,770 times
Where are you stayin in Park City? The ski shop that I work for sells discount passes. No place in PC has discount passes for DV-keep that in mind..Let me know by DM if I can help with anything as I love to ski and want others to love it too!

Old 12-03-2009, 04:39 PM

Thanks skibarbie, sent you a DM...

Old 12-06-2009, 12:37 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,029 times
You do not have to stay in a qualifying hotel to get the SL Super pass. I have purchased this on my own when I used to come here for ski trips before I moved here. Ski Salt Lake Super Pass

I was out skiing last weekend - and its pretty bare-bones, man made, well at least at Solitude. From what I have heard from others who have skied at Alta this week, it is also pretty bare there. There are some storms coming through this week, so that will hopefully add some much needed snow.

I traveled here once early January and the conditions were not so great (not to scare you). That is not to say we won't start getting storms and have a great January. It is definitely a slow start this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah