Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2006, 05:17 PM

5 posts, read 25,932 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about retiring and moving to Utah. I don't mind a mild winter and small towns don't bother me either. I am wondering what the Ephraim/Manti area would be like. Can you raise fruit trees there like in other parts of Utah? How long does snow stay on the ground there? Are the fundamentalists out of control there? Any other information is welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2006, 08:20 PM

212 posts, read 791,705 times
Ephriam has a walmart. (I could live anywhere there is a walmart).

Old 08-01-2006, 04:28 PM

378 posts, read 1,906,122 times
My wife and I recently began shopping at Target for all our groceries. We used to be all about the Wal-Marts, but all the crazies wore us down. My wife can't go into Wal-Mart without being leered at and virtually undressed by men (some women) who are with their families! Target seems a lot cleaner, less crowded, and way more hot moms! Haha! I turned to my wife and said we should shop here more often...I don't mind spending an extra $50 on groceries!

Old 08-17-2006, 03:18 PM

61 posts, read 275,750 times
What defines a "mild" winter for you? They generally have warm-ish days and cold nights in the area. Yes, you can grow fruit trees there (well, many kinds). The fundies are a presence in Manti, but not really elsewhere in Sanpete Co. Maybe in some nonincorporated areas of the valley too.

- Chris

Old 04-10-2008, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,150 times
I'm not sure about fruit trees. Last year all the fruit tree blossoms were frozen with an unexpected June frost. This is not unusual. We had an elephant plum tree but it died - and the parts of it which didn't die were eaten by deer. We planted three beautiful Austrian Pines which the deer are not supposed to like, but they nipped off the branches and ate the bark right off.They are all dead. The deer also ate all my daffodil and tulip bulbs as soon as the leaves started coming up. It got to -14 degrees at our house last winter and the snow was on the ground most of the winter. There was lots of snow and it's still here in some places. If you like cold, cold winters, Manti is the place. I heard it got to as low as -20 in some parts of Manti. If you do decide to move here, make sure your house is well insulated or your energy bills will be sky high. Manti is a nice place to live if you like your one and only real store to be Wal-Mart. There is one in Ephriam. Ephriam also has a McDonald's and a Subway. If you like ATV's rodding up and down your street, Manti is your town, and the neighborhood dogs love to use your yard for a bathroom. Sure there are leash laws, but they are not ever enforced that I know of. The fundamentalists are around, but we hear about them more than see them. I heard they were a lot more prominant a few years ago, but not right now. They are a lot more prevalent in the St George area which is close to Hillsdale and Colorado City. In spite of everything, I like Manti because it is close to the LDS temple. That's what brought us here and that's what is keeping us here.

Last edited by Pensive; 04-10-2008 at 05:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: