Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2010, 11:50 PM

4 posts, read 17,693 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Just had a question for the locals. This is my first summer in Vancouver, and I am alarmed at the presence of mosquitoes. I cannot go out into my yard at any time of the day right now without seeing mosquitoes flying around me and biting me. I realize that everyone's saying the problem is especially bad this summer because we had such a wet winter and spring. But how much worse is the problem really? I mean, is it normally not noticeable at all, or are there always mosquitoes, and there are just more of them now? I grew up in the Seattle area and we did not have this problem at all. It saddens me to think that the one time of the year when the weather is nice and you might want to spend some time outdoors, that there would be this mosquito problem preventing you from enjoying it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 12:15 AM

26 posts, read 89,525 times
I grew up in Portland/Vancouver and I have never seen it so bad in 30 years! I carry bug spray everywhere this year. It's truly worse that its ever been.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 7,056 times
I've lived in Vancouver for six years now, and this is the first year that I've even noticed mosquitoes around my house.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:17 PM

118 posts, read 419,030 times
It's because of the extremely mild winter that's causing the massive amounts of mosquitoes. I heard this on the news.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:43 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
Much worse than the previous four years I have experienced.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:34 PM

4 posts, read 17,693 times
Thanks. So glad to hear it's not the norm.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:21 PM

189 posts, read 564,568 times
mosquitoes love me and i do travel around a lot. when i was going to move from roswell,nm to fergus falls,mn (now in spearfish,sd ) i heard the mosquitoes were huge. when i was growing up in nc, we used oil of citronella to repel mosquitoes. i went to store in roswell and told clerk i wanted oil of cit. for mosquitoes in mn and she suggested also oil of eucalyptus. bought both . when i got to mn, i used a lot of both oils. mosquitoes smart. figured out i am extra delicious with all the oils on. it was a great people repeller. everytime i got near someone, they gasped, covered their mouth and backed away. so much for that experiment. i moved elsewhere. giggle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area