Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2011, 03:11 PM

621 posts, read 1,333,363 times

Advertisements

I live in the Dallas, TX area and quite honestly hate it. My gripes are the heat, the illegals and the huge amount of people on public assistance.

I want a change and want to go somewhere with a decent economy.

Any info would be helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 09:38 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times
The area has pretty much stabilized at recession levels with high unemployment and underwhelming economic opportunities. I really like the area and am happy we moved out of Dallas five years ago but unless you have employment lined-up it would be a risk to relocate.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:22 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twincam666 View Post
I live in the Dallas, TX area and quite honestly hate it. My gripes are the heat, the illegals and the huge amount of people on public assistance.

I want a change and want to go somewhere with a decent economy.

Any info would be helpful!
Any info on your career / home / price range / pay range / desires (rural vs. urban, Schools vs, retirement, cultural, commute, travel, healthcare...needs would really assist us in giving you direction.

sounds like you might need to go to WY, SD, ND (they are about the only 'sane' economies in the USA. BUT... there are reasons they have low unemployment. The local' people can't be beat there (I was there again last week).

I helped more people move from Vancouver to DFW this yr than vs.vrsa. (3 families). I will be creating a PT place for me in the TX hill country, (got a job offer in SA today) but will likely domicile in SD and not stay in WA or TX (or TN) long enough each yr to get nabbed.

TX has by far a better economy and state gov fiscal situation than WA (tho WA is better than OR and CA (temporarily). WA is getting LOTS of illegals, as it is now ez'r to get documents here than anywhere else on West coast (lower 48). OR stiffened up so their illegals came to WA. Our Governor is spineless so WA is pursuing a CA 'wannabee' status. She (and her minions) are chasing businesses (employers) away at a very high pace. Very sad. I do Business and Economic Development advising daily (in WA and OR) and it is 'H-E - double toothpicks' to be an independent business person, especially an employer in WA.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:55 PM

5 posts, read 58,004 times
I last lived in OKC 2 years ago and quite honestly regret moving up here. I was looking for a change too but this isn't what I call positive change.

You have the heat, but the NW has 8 months of drizzle and gloom. I stay depressed most of the year.

The economy hasn't tanked here but it's sluggish. I have an MBA and great experience but couldn't find a job, which was OK because I enjoy operating my own business. That has turned out to be even MORE of a mistake. I never had a problem meeting sales projections anywhere else I've lived but it just isn't happening here. Sales are 30% below projection and nothing I do makes any difference. Stealthrabbit is dead on, it's pure HELL doing business in such a big government state. I'm miserable with this business but I've got 2 more years on my lease. SHUDDER.

We have just as many people on public assistance here too. People up here LOVE their big government scream for it. They want to be "protected". I want to ask if they're too stupid or too lazy to protect themselves.

My advice is STAY WHERE YOU ARE. You'd likely hate the left coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area