Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 08:02 PM

1 posts, read 4,124 times

Advertisements

we are moving from pocatello Idaho ( please don't laugh ) . to Vancouver Wa and are reading that there are some pretty bad area with bad schools? , what would be the best area with good a goord high school close to bike paths , I am retiring and close to skiing , My wife will be working at Portland Int Airport. so a quick access to the highways would be nice , any thoughts please .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 10:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
High school? You probably want to look into Academics - Running Start
FREE college instead of HS (worked great for my kids and many others...) Otherwise Camas would be my recommendation for a lower Social impact for student and better quality edu.

Fairway Village (Cascade Park)
NW Camas / LaCamas Shores

Possibly west central Washougal (Off B street, west of Washougal River Road, or near Goot Park)

There will eventually be a trail connecting Washougal to Stevenson (~30 miles) then you will be able to cross Bridge of the God's and catch a trail east to the Dalles (eventually Maryhill / Biggs Jct), or west to Portland. That will give you about 200 miles of very scenic trails to enjoy (+ the existing ones which are quite nice indeed) Columbia River Gorge Hikes - Hiking in Portland, Oregon and Washington
Northwest Hiker presents Hiking in the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area

BTW, there is a tremendous deal on 14 acres w/ house / barn / shop / view ~ 25 minutes east of PDX, in a CHEAP tax district and very close to Hike #58 Cape Horn Overlook (Cape Horn) OMG, it is gorgeous. cape horn, WA - Google Search

PS., I love SE ID, and usually spend a bit of time at Soda Springs enroute to my favorite Tetons / Star Valley WY. My boss grew up in ID Falls, so his folks took him to Jackson Dam (Tetons) and the HS kids would Kayak back to ID over the weekend. Very entertaining and good use of a weekend. Pocatello has some redeeming qualities (for some of us... I'm a prairie kid at heart. Vancouver has been a significant challenge for me)

Old 02-05-2012, 09:04 PM

23 posts, read 61,833 times
I've lived in Vancouver, WA on and off since I was 7 years old so I have plenty to say about it.
The pros are obvious: it's a beautiful place to live, the schools are decent (not great but decent), it's very close to Portland and anywhere from 1-3 hours drive to a gazillion other beautiful places and mountains. It has the best darn chiropractor I've ever had in the USA- Scott Brahmer. Personally I love the rain and overcast, I'm a tried and true pacific northwest girl. And coffee and bookstores abound. It's great to be able to hop over the river to portland for shopping and pay no sales tax over there

Negatives= oh boy! MUCH more conservative than any other pacific northwest city I have lived in. I find the people to be less intelligent on average than other WA cities (and I've lived in many). A lot of stupid young white gang-banger wannabees. As always with WA, a lot of people smoke pot, which is either a con or a so-what depending on your perspective. I would personally say the amount of libertarians and Republicans is quite agitating for me, that's the biggest negative by far. Downtown is also pretty GROSS and the judges are corrupt J*RKS. =/

I've been in Arkansas for the last year and wondering why I ever left the pnw, and want to go back but I'm looking at other places besides Vancouver. For what they charge for rent there, it's seriously not *that* nice.

Last edited by Ava_539; 02-05-2012 at 09:16 PM..

Old 02-05-2012, 09:08 PM

23 posts, read 61,833 times
There are bike paths here and there but very rarely see anybody use them. My personal experience is the schools are okay, decent but there are some hard headed administrators in the district and some backwards policies (hands behind the back or crossed in front whenever walking in the hallway, they can say no when you need to use the restroom in class, etc, just some stuff they really should not be doing anymore). I heard Washougal has better schools than Vancouver but that's one area I have not lived in yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec54 View Post
we are moving from pocatello Idaho ( please don't laugh ) . to Vancouver Wa and are reading that there are some pretty bad area with bad schools? , what would be the best area with good a goord high school close to bike paths , I am retiring and close to skiing , My wife will be working at Portland Int Airport. so a quick access to the highways would be nice , any thoughts please .

Old 03-08-2012, 03:54 PM

101 posts, read 327,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava_539 View Post
I've lived in Vancouver, WA on and off since I was 7 years old so I have plenty to say about it.
The pros are obvious: it's a beautiful place to live, the schools are decent (not great but decent), it's very close to Portland and anywhere from 1-3 hours drive to a gazillion other beautiful places and mountains. It has the best darn chiropractor I've ever had in the USA- Scott Brahmer. Personally I love the rain and overcast, I'm a tried and true pacific northwest girl. And coffee and bookstores abound. It's great to be able to hop over the river to portland for shopping and pay no sales tax over there

Negatives= oh boy! MUCH more conservative than any other pacific northwest city I have lived in. I find the people to be less intelligent on average than other WA cities (and I've lived in many). A lot of stupid young white gang-banger wannabees. As always with WA, a lot of people smoke pot, which is either a con or a so-what depending on your perspective. I would personally say the amount of libertarians and Republicans is quite agitating for me, that's the biggest negative by far. Downtown is also pretty GROSS and the judges are corrupt J*RKS. =/

I've been in Arkansas for the last year and wondering why I ever left the pnw, and want to go back but I'm looking at other places besides Vancouver. For what they charge for rent there, it's seriously not *that* nice.
If you are a liberal then Arkansas is the perfect place for you,I couldn`t take all the Liberals in portland anymore so I can understand how you feel.Say Hi to to the great truth talking Clinton for me.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:44 PM

335 posts, read 517,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VantuckySux View Post
Property crime is actually worse than reported. I've been victimized more here in one year than the rest of my life combined. The more I research it the more I find crimes that do not appear on the maps. I'm checking into why with the local authorities.

So I guess if you are looking for a generic, vanilla suburb to remain anonymous in, Vantucky is for you.
When I think of "generic, vanilla suburb", "property crime" doesn't come to mind at all...

Is it really that boring, and/or are you just an easy mark?

Last edited by Biz901; 03-08-2012 at 10:25 PM..

Old 03-08-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigolwoody View Post
If you are a liberal then Arkansas is the perfect place for you,I couldn`t take all the Liberals in portland anymore so I can understand how you feel.Say Hi to to the great truth talking Clinton for me.
I'm really hoping to find a place that is more "American" than Democrat/Republican -or- Liberal/Fascist.

Presently on the hunt for a new community of adults that can take care of business and each other, not obsess on victims to prey on...

My wife and I are established entrepreneurs, and are looking at start a new business concern, and we're getting sick of having .gov acting like mafioso in New England, and scofflaws who believe the successful are taxed for their benefit...

Born and raised in So Cal, escaped in the mid 90s when we started an Ebiz in the financial district in NYC...had enough of living in the rat race, time to pull up stake and find a final A-M-E-R-I-C-A-N community to invest/live in.

Looking forward to a scouting trip in Vantucky!

Last edited by Biz901; 03-08-2012 at 10:56 PM..

Old 03-08-2012, 11:17 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz901 View Post
When I think of "generic, vanilla suburb", "property crime" doesn't come to mind at all...

Is it really that boring, and/or are you just an easy mark?
In WA, violence isn't the norm-- but we do have a high rate of property damage/vandalism, auto theft, burglaries, et. c.

With that said, Vancouver does have more generic vanilla surburbia than areas filled with character, charm. Nothing wrong with that (of course, there are those who despise those sort of things). If one is looking for an area filled with charm, character (and good schools), usually Camas or the other small towns just to the north get recommended.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:22 AM

Well, according to this Moderator cut: link removed Vancouver is rated at 189 out of 206 cities, so is crime really that big of an issue in Vancouver?

Any idea of what group (druggies, career criminals, gangs, etc.?) is committing property crimes?

Last edited by Count David; 03-10-2012 at 04:50 AM.. Reason: new members are not allowed to post links

Old 03-09-2012, 09:56 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Given that list they define "crime" as including murder, rape, aggravated assault... of course it seems low plus it's comparing to some big city heavy-weights as well. I've said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
In WA, violence isn't the norm-- but we do have a high rate of property damage/vandalism, auto theft, burglaries, et. c.
Yes, there are high rate of property crimes... and it's usually the druggies. Up in Seattle, if your car got jacked, the cops aren't going to do anything about it. Its done. You can use City-Data's own source of how they divided up crimes. http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...ashington.html However, given that you're from So-Cal, odds are it's still a walk in a park for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area