Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2012, 09:32 PM

5 posts, read 25,846 times

Advertisements

I live in portland now (havent lived around here too long), and I am self employed. I would like to move across the river for various reasons. My question, is where would be good areas in, around and just outside town that would be good to rent a house on at least an acre or so of land? more is fine. not looking to move completely outside of civilization but enough for some yard and privacy. scenery is always nice.Anyone have any suggestions? price will need to be about 1800 or less. If i can get to portland about 30 min(with little traffic obv) that would be best (not for a commute but personal) is this doable? I have driven through a couple times, but not too familiar with the areas to look at. Looking for suggestions for next time.

edit: doesn't need to be a rural place with tons of land, a nice neighborhood with spaced out houses and a good sized yard is mostly what im looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 01:15 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Plenty of places to suit your fancy w/in 30 min of Portland.

I rent out 5 acre places for under $1000 w/ Terrific views and small houses w/ NICE shops.
I usually look for single guys or gals who are older (done partying and vandallizing, and interested in being a good neighbor and PAYING their rent.)

I would look at the following regions.
Pleasant Valley (near NE 72nd AVE and NE 109th Str, up Andreson From Home Depot @ Padden Express
Also Fern Prairie
and East of Washougal 98671 (Not up Washougal River Road, poor commute), but south of there (Between Washougal River and Columbia River) and east on SR 14 to Prindle / Salmon Falls Road. . Belle Center Rd. Sunset View Rd. Mt Norway. Nichols Hill ...

There are a quite a few nice BIG lots in Orchards area, but... You need to be REALLY careful, as high % of renters there.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:37 AM

5 posts, read 25,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Plenty of places to suit your fancy w/in 30 min of Portland.

I rent out 5 acre places for under $1000 w/ Terrific views and small houses w/ NICE shops.
I usually look for single guys or gals who are older (done partying and vandallizing, and interested in being a good neighbor and PAYING their rent.)

I would look at the following regions.
Pleasant Valley (near NE 72nd AVE and NE 109th Str, up Andreson From Home Depot @ Padden Express
Also Fern Prairie
and East of Washougal 98671 (Not up Washougal River Road, poor commute), but south of there (Between Washougal River and Columbia River) and east on SR 14 to Prindle / Salmon Falls Road. . Belle Center Rd. Sunset View Rd. Mt Norway. Nichols Hill ...

There are a quite a few nice BIG lots in Orchards area, but... You need to be REALLY careful, as high % of renters there.

Wow, thank you very much This already helps me a a lot. Will finish mapping out the rest of those areas and then maybe check craigslist and drive out there this week. What do you mean by be careful because of the renters?

Old 09-16-2012, 10:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brometheus55 View Post
.... What do you mean by be careful because of the renters?
Orchards nickname = "dogpatch"... Very transient, crime (petty theft to more serious). LOTS of rental places in one area often = POOR maint / quality of neighborhood / junk cars / animals and kids roaming the streets. Teen renters (first time away from home... Party Central). Increased Police activity, drug houses, late night raids, slashed tires, broken car windows (even when you leave the door unlocked for them to steal stuff...). As mentioned SOME of Orchards is OK.

I would also avoid 4th Plain from I-5 to I-205. and regions adjacent (hwy 500 to Burnt Bridge Creek)

If you go rural, you SHOULD be ok (space), but... look the neighborhood over and come at various times of the day. Kids might get home from school and run dirt bikes till dark. Some areas are less welcoming.

ALWAYS get a house with LOTS of NATURAL LIGHT, not nestled in the forest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area