Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2014, 04:14 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,574,591 times

Advertisements

Hello all. Writing to seek specific housing/subdivision recommendations for Vancouver, WA. Yes, I've looked at much of the available information here on these forums, as well as others. Yes, we are doing significant research. We are visiting Vancouver shortly.

We are moving from Southern California, sick of it here. Don't be put off that we are from CA. You want us as neighbors: very quiet couple, no kids, no noise, no problems, no debts, pay our bills on time, pay in cash because we hate credit cards and interchange fees, don't stick our nose in people's business, don't care what people do, and we will be gone for stretches when we travel.

Who we are: 40s couple, no kids, no liabilities, no attachments. Business owner and retail manager. A year or two away from very early retirement.

What we need: Most likely a single-family home. Prefer either new construction or built after 2011, if possible. Would like to get a quality home, 3 on-suite bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, preferably a large master bedroom and the other two bedrooms will be used as home offices.

Quiet and no road noise is a must. Want at least some distance between our place and the neighbors, i.e. I do not want the postage stamp crap you get here in California where people live on top of one another. Can't stand it. Don't need massive acreage, but a sensible layout is important.

Ideally, we'd have a mid-to-upscale home, but hopefully at reasonable prices, $400k or less. If what we want can't be had at that price, we'll pay more, especially if it can be on or near one of the bodies of water or on the river. Bottom line, will probably want a 2,000+ sq. ft home that is upper-tier, modern, with quality rooms and good kitchen. Paying cash.

ISP and natural gas: internet is important, we'll be using it a lot. My research shows we'll likely want Comcast wired broadband. Didn't see any fiber-to-the-premises or FIOS options in Vancouver, if you know of one let me know. DSL or satellite internet is a no-go. Also, will want natural gas for kitchen, and perhaps water and fireplaces as well.

What we do not need: anything related to schools or kids. Don't care at all about good schools or amenities for children, and frankly would prefer not to pay high taxes for it. Also don't care too much about immediate recreation. If we have to drive a bit for food or fun, that's fine. My thinking is maybe we can get a superior house for less money because we don't need or want to pay for good schools or high taxes.

Areas we are considering: Camus, Felida, Salmon Creek, and Fisher's Landing. More particularly, we have been advised to check out the Mill Plain and Westridge Place neighborhoods, and maybe the Orchards neighborhood.

Where else do you recommend? Is there a standout upscale neighborhood or area/division that costs a bit more, or even considerably more, but has quality new homes, views and amenities? Are there some "estate" subdivisions we should examine that are gated but offer quality living? Please respond, because I am certain to put them on my list of places to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 06:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
I would stick with Camas (very EZ access to PDX and the Gorge)
Look in the area between Lacamas swim and sport to Lacamas lake. (about 1/2 mile circle)

Also Columbia Ridge (off Crown Road) for CHEAP huge houses over looking the Columbia River and Camas industrial park .

In Washougal, there are 3 areas of 'Parade of homes' (nice neighborhoods) up 32nd Ave to the north of east Washougal.

All lots on new homes are pretty dinky, due to the high Left Coast Property valuations. Brought to PNW and CO / MT, ID by fleeing Californians since the 1970's (When I was chased from my CO ranch by high taxes). Get a 'rural home' for best views and potential capital gains.

While you don't NEED schools yourself... If BUYING a larger home, you will be well served by buying it in a quality district. (Big homes are not ez to resell, especially BIG NEWer homes. You can get some screaming bargains on 'California Special' homes in this market. (and in future, as demographic downsizes). There are plenty of newer rural bargains, as the 'sweet spot' is no longer big houses (big taxes). Consider the 'Market" / resell when buying. There are an absolute TON of $500k - $650k homes that builders have been sitting on for over 5 yrs. The area is well overbuilt for those.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:39 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,976 times
Agree with everything Stealth posted.

If you want to be "out" a little more you may also want to check Autumn Hills in Camas on Livingston Mtn. It's a way from town (and it snows up there a bit) but new homes on acre plus lots. Westridge is nice too for smaller lots closer in. Lakeridge in Camas has some nice newer homes as well, some have ok lots.

Stealth is right that large lots aren't the norm here close to town, we have just under 0.5 acres and people here think our lot is huge, on the east coast where we're from it would be a typical to small lot.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:36 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Westridge is right on the border of Camas and Vancouver, if I understand this properly. It is a nice subdivision, with some nicer homes. In Vancouver, off NE18th St, West of NE 162 is First Place. Very nice, newer home in there.

It is my understanding that there was not a lot of construction going on here in the last few years. Some of the construction that was done is of more modest homes.

For a really nice subdivsion with older homes, some of which have been updated, there is Cimarron in Vancouver, off NE 162. This is a beautifully laid out, aesthetically pleasing subdivision. Homes have tile roofs, and beautiful landscaping. But they date from the 1980s. The two we saw in our price range (below your price range) had not been updated.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:18 PM

Great. Going to check all of these out on our visit. Any other advice greatly appreciated.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Washougal is wired with Fiber (as far east as Jemtaguarrd School) AFAIK.

I'm a few miles beyond, and stuck with ONLY dial-up,... no cable, no dsl, no satellite dishes allowed (Scenic Columbia Gorge area) They ran fiber right in front of the house 3 yrs ago... Libraries and school ONLY, not allowed as residents, and not allowed to tap in Clark County (Not eligible for USDA Rural 'last mile' zone).

Autumn Hills (above Camas / Fern Praire on Livingston Mtn is quite exclusive. A Comcast boss / director lived there, so they got 'wired'. It is a gated community and nice views (if you like to look at lights / distant city / river).

I'm not keen on the commute (2 lane back roads for 20 minutes) or looking at a city... so I will stay in the Gorge on dial-up

Old 02-01-2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Washougal is wired with Fiber (as far east as Jemtaguarrd School) AFAIK.
Cool, didn't know that. I'll search the posts to see how it is.

Quote:
Autumn Hills (above Camas / Fern Praire on Livingston Mtn is quite exclusive. A Comcast boss / director lived there, so they got 'wired'. It is a gated community and nice views (if you like to look at lights / distant city / river).
What price range are we at in Autumn Hills? $500k and above? I'm going to put it on the list.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:33 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
Cool, didn't know that. I'll search the posts to see how it is.

What price range are we at in Autumn Hills? $500k and above? I'm going to put it on the list.
Yes, Autumn Hills is 500k and up generally. There's quite a bit for sale up there right now though so you may be able to get a good deal. I think it's nice community and we have several friends that live up there but with kids the up and down the mountain constantly would drive me nuts. However, if you're not out constantly then it's a very pretty area with trails, wildlife, and I believe some residents even keep horses. Stealth is right that some views are of the city but others are of the mountains and foothills.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:39 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
You may (or may not) want to consider that there are a variety of micro-climates in the area so weather will vary across the area some 15% of the time. East and near the gorge can be very windy and colder where NW can be calm and sometimes foggy. Elevation changes of only 600ft. can make a difference in temps and frozen precipitation. I actually passed on a nice property in the east near the river after witnessing a week of inclement weather and sometimes wonder if I made the right decision on beautiful days.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:10 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
Frontier at least used to offer FIOS in Vancouver/Camas AFAIK, but in that battle I think I'd still have to recommend Comcast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area