Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 03:07 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times

Advertisements

What does this restaurant do best?

Thanks for the rec, although we don't hit Washougal all that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 10:15 PM

104 posts, read 175,196 times
I don't know if it fits, but I was in Vancouver this past weekend for their marathon, and I loved Torque Coffee.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:40 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
For Pizza, I am liking Bellagios. Better than average crust, good pepperoni, tangy taste and not too much sauce, especially that sweet stuff. I went there for lunch, and I am going back with DH to see if he likes it. After Pizzicati, now closed, this is the best I've found. Bellagios is in the shopping center where Home Depot is, off 192 Ave. on the border of Camas.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:22 PM

3 posts, read 6,227 times
For Mexican, we like Tapatio Catedral, out on 164th and Mill Plain, but the best we've had in Vancouver is El Rancho Viejo in Ridgefield. It's worth the drive.

Best breakfast we've had here is at Cameo, up near the 205/Padden exit. We've tried almost every breakfast place in Vancouver.

For crying out loud, ALL of you go eat at the Low Bar in downtown Vancouver! I've not had anything off of the menu that wasn't delicious. Their drinks are pretty tasty, too.

I'll second the recommendations for Vancouver Pizza and Jerusalem Cafe. My GF doesn't like Middle Eastern food, but she raves about Jerusalem.

I like Lapellah, down at Grand Central.

The one thing that Vancouver is missing is a really good steakhouse, on the level of Ringside. I think there's a market for such a place over here, but I'm not aware of any such place. Anybody want to open one?

Do not trust the restaurant reviews in the Columbian. I've never seen them give a review that was even remotely negative. In their eyes, ALL Clark County restaurants are good. It's just not true.

If you're looking for Louisiana food, there's a good place on Jantzen Beach called Norma's Kitchen. It's across the street from the Safeway and the Hooters.

There's definitely good food in Vancouver, much moreso than Portlanders would imagine is available here, but it does seem like a lot of the restaurants here are "well-kept secrets." I can't decide if that's good or bad.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:31 AM

318 posts, read 629,164 times
The problem with the restaurant scene in Vancouver is the lack of breadth. As noted in a recent article in the Vancouver Business Journal, Multnomah County (Portland) has 14.3 full service restaurants per 10,000 residents. Clark County (Vancouver) has only 5.7 per 10,000.
Just means you have to look harder to find a good restaurant in Vancouver.
Jazzy John's in Hazel Dell has excellent BBQ, including several different regional styles, although it's pricey.
As noted previously, Farrar's in Felida has very creative and tasty food, although the service is spotty.
Beaches and McMenamin's on the waterfront have pretty good 'big chain restaurant' style food although they are almost always crowded.
People rave about Carol's Corner for breakfast, but a couple of trips there seem to indicate the raves are for the mammoth portions rather than taste, and they come from lots of, ahem, rather large customers.
If you want decent Asian food, go to Portland. Chinese in Vancouver is pretty awful, Americanized chop suey.
If you want an upscale dining experience, go to Portland.
What constitutes good food and good restaurants is subjective. We moved here six months ago and wouldn't categorize the restaurant scene in Vancouver as awful, but it's certainly not exceptional either.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:19 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,962,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDavid View Post
... Chinese in Vancouver is pretty awful,
We have been pleased with Great Taste Chinese over by the mall...

Great Taste Chinese Restaurant | Great Taste Chinese Restaurant in Vancouver WA

Old 07-27-2014, 10:39 AM

36 posts, read 71,991 times
No sales tax in Oregon either so if your meal is 26 buckeroos, that's what you get on your bill (plus tip, of course).

Old 08-26-2014, 05:11 PM

338 posts, read 421,456 times
Chinese Garden; NE 2nd and 3rd Avenues, Camas. (http://openstreetmap.org/#map=17/45.58595/-122.37109) This underappreciated gem's building looks old (it is) and is a bit musty, but the service is good and the food always hot, plentiful and relatively cheap. Been going there since I was still in nappies (I'm 30 now) and have lots of memories there. It's also along the C-Tran #92 line, which makes it easier yet to get to.

Geta Gyro driveup (NE 164th Avenue & 1st Street, Vancouver; on the #30 line adjacent the Village Vendor car wash) is a good place to get cheap Greek chow, and I'm not saying that just because I know the guy who runs it. It really is good. Try the "50-50" gyro.

Last edited by ratchetjaw; 08-26-2014 at 05:25 PM..

Old 02-07-2015, 12:37 AM

17 posts, read 35,201 times
Finally got to eat at Farrar's yesterday with a couple of friends. We all liked it very much and plan on going again.

Some small improvements started in Hazel. The new Panera is open and seems to be doing well. Someone told me that the E A T letters on the Panera ceiling actually came from the old Steakburger that was torn down. A new Taco Bell will be added in the same area. I think the old Salvation Army will be demolished soon and will be replaced by a Fred Meyer gas station. I understand that there will be an auto museum opening on 78th St. in the old Webb Motors. Supposedly they are planning to have food trucks in that location as well--there is a sign out asking vendors to apply.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:32 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,742 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazziecat View Post
Finally got to eat at Farrar's yesterday with a couple of friends. We all liked it very much and plan on going again.

Some small improvements started in Hazel. The new Panera is open and seems to be doing well. Someone told me that the E A T letters on the Panera ceiling actually came from the old Steakburger that was torn down. ....
Guess I need to get out more... Beef and Brew was my last decent dining in Hazel Dell... I think it has been gone for 20 yrs. I will miss the Steakburger summer nights... so I won't bother coming back to town (except when I have to come to town to check email (No HS at home).

I note the NEW replacement Restaurant that went into EX-Tommy-O East (QFC on 192nd Ave) is GONE already < 8 months.

The FIRST place spent too much on the building and didn't have the capital to open their Restaurant, then Tommy, and a Japanese (I think), now.. empty (again)

Carol's Corner seems to be an old 'stable' breakfast place (for ~ 20 yrs).
Carol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area