Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 08:30 AM

2 posts, read 4,810 times

Advertisements

Just arrived in Vancouver two weeks ago. Living in town, walking distance to uptown main st. area. Very active retiree in my late 70's, looking for ideas on volunteering, exercise groups, social opportunities to help acclimate myself and to meet new people and potential friends. Right now in remodel hell but anticipate being out of dust, dirt and debris by mid February and ready to really experience this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 09:23 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,505,258 times
I'm in my 30s so I'm not going to be much help. But, I actually have a group I meet with socially that I met through taking a class a Clark College for continuing education, most of whom are seniors. I am so grateful that I met this amazing group of older adults, they've been a true blessing in my life.

Anyway, Clark College offers everything from dance to creative writing to history classes. It's one way to meet people.

Also, talk to the guys at Latte Da right down the road from you. They have lots of scheduled social events there and I wouldn't be surprised at all if some were directed towards seniors. If they don't I'm sure they would be open to starting one.

Best of luck, welcome to Vancouver

Old 01-29-2014, 10:14 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,626,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
I'm in my 30s so I'm not going to be much help. But, I actually have a group I meet with socially that I met through taking a class a Clark College for continuing education, most of whom are seniors. I am so grateful that I met this amazing group of older adults, they've been a true blessing in my life.

Anyway, Clark College offers everything from dance to creative writing to history classes. It's one way to meet people.
Good suggestion. Depending on where you are in Vanc and what you have for transportation you could also look at non-credit classes via PCC across the river. In most cases they're evening or weekend, and you'd be going against traffic so potentially a pretty quick hop to at least some of them (cooking, language, art/craft, etc. etc.) PCC Class Schedule

I would wager the Food Bank is often happy to take volunteers (or would know which distribution sites might): Clark County Food Bank :: Home Likewise, the downtown (Vanc) Farmer's Market will be starting up not long after your remodel will wrap: Volunteer Opportunities - Vancouver Farmers Market

What part of town are you in and what do you like to do? There are a few birdwatching groups around, etc.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,810 times
Default Great ideas

Thanks so much for both posts with some great ideas. Really appreciate it and once remodel hell is behind me I'll be checking into most of them!!

Old 02-12-2014, 01:44 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,455,111 times
Look into Meetup.com as well. There are a few Vancouver groups, and some of the Portland groups occasionally hold events in Vancouver as well.

In addition to the Food Bank, I recommend Hands on Greater Portland for volunteer opportunities.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:03 PM

4 posts, read 8,173 times
Howdy and a very belated welcome to Vancouver. It's not nearly as bad as PDXers would have anybody believe.

In the event you haven't already found it, check into the Luepke Senior Center. It's where a lot of active folk your age hang out and party together. Tons of activities ongoing constantly there. It's right next to the Marshall Center gym, so many head over there to get some exercise.

Vancouver Parks & Rec sponsors day bus trips out and about. Sometimes they go out to the gorge, sometimes they go to Seattle for a special exhibit at the museum. Get on their mailing list.

Someone's suggestion of looking into meetup.com group's is a great one.

Cheers!

Old 05-26-2014, 07:22 AM

307 posts, read 560,740 times
Enjoyed ...and learned a lot from all of you who responded to Ismurphy's thread. I too, hope to look into possibly settling down in the Vancouver area. Just me and my wife...hopefully, this would happen soon if I succeed in convincing my wife this is the area for us. We actually lived farther up north...right on the Canadian border town of Blaine..where I-95 ends. Left the town (we still own a new house there..which we hope to put in the market by Fall) in search of a "little more" sunshine than we have been getting in Blaine. Tried high elevation Prescott, AZ...(I like it there)...but didn't appeal to my wife; went on farther east...until we couldn't go anymore (on the Atlantic coast)...and here we are, in Palm Coast, FL.

Now the weather (we're already getting hi 80s and 90s...with 98% + humidity) has gotten my wife sick and miserable. And it does rain here. Not every single day...but when it rains...it comes down like the Niagara Falls! Usually of short duration...but enough to flood the streets in minutes.

Key factor is weather. I know, it rains in the Vancouver/PDX area..but is it constant? We often got days...and even weeks of light rain..drizzle...just annoying wetness when we lived in Blaine. We can tolerate some...and even more than just "some" rain...but for my wife, she can't tolerate constant hot and humid. We've passed through Vancouver/PDX area on our way north or south a few times...but we really haven't experienced year round weather in that area.
Temperature. How hot does it usually get there in the summer? And humidity? I think, 30% to 70% would be ok. In Blaine...once it got up to 80F folks there started to complain about the heat! We go short sleeves when the temps get up to the mid to hi 60s. I'll be checking the stats also...but nothing like hearing it from folks who actually live there.

Also important is accessibility to the usual facilities elderly folks need. We're in great shape...and certainly, I am into outdoor activities (except golf...sorry, golf afficionados, not my cup of tea), and still heft 70+ lbs boxes all day and do 2-mile power walks daily. I'm 73...so far, nothing serious happening yet. Hope to keep it that way for at least until my mortgage is paid off by age 100 (or get to sell our house, whichever comes first). Don't need a job, BTW.
I have done some research on Vancouver already...so I am getting somewhat familiar with the area. Just want to get a more recent update on what's it like living there, the weather, cost of living, recreational activities, social life, etc.

We plan to stop by Vancouver when we travel back to Blaine, WA this Fall...and try to stay a few days (on the pretext to my wife...that I need a few days of rest after that long drive from Florida). This way, we can drive around and get a better feel for what's out there.

Appreciate any additional info that would be helpful. BTW, we plan to rent at first. My wife still wants to have a house built to her specs. I am not in favor of buying. At our age...I prefer not to be tied down with mortgage payments, etc. If we sell the house (not looking to make a profit on it either)...just want to get the mortgage burden off my shoulders...we could probably manage $1,500/month rent. This time, I will insist on 2-bedrooms...rather than the 3 we've been living in for many years now. We needed the 3 bedroom and a 2-car garage just to have room to store all the household stuff we've accumulated from our years of working and living overseas. We're in the process of cutting back...hopefully, at least down to 12K pounds of household stuff (we had 18K when we left WA). Thanks....look forward to hear from all. Oh yes...no pets, we don't smoke, drink...nor have expensive habits.

Last edited by FCStraight; 05-26-2014 at 07:26 AM.. Reason: Correct typos; delete lines.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:16 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,759 posts, read 58,161,153 times
Climate will be very similar to Blaine, do be advised that Clark County gets from 28"/ yr to 100"/yr. largely depending on elevation proximity to mtns (Clouds have to empty their load before getting over mtns). Lots of micro climates, but no Palm Springs (that I have found), But Palm Springs is only 2 hrs by air. and sunshine is only 10,000 ft (up). or 2 hrs east by car. (The Dalles, OR).

Try this newspaper for info.
The Messenger Home | City of Vancouver Washington

CoL, We are able to Eat and pay full utilities for $100/ month each.
We use the colleges for free entertainment and culture. Many great volunteer venues and parks. (most in Portland / 10 minutes). Eat HOT Breakfast at Ikea ($0.99) on our way to volunteer. LOTS of hiking, biking trails. Portland has plenty of variety of things to do, but far enough away to avoid when necessary.

Ft Vancouver is a great place to volunteer. (as is Heritage Farm.. 78th ave)
78th St. Heritage Farm
WSU Clark County Extension

Old 05-26-2014, 11:30 AM

307 posts, read 560,740 times
Default About Vancouver, WA

Thanks for the informative..and encouraging reply, StealthRabbit...and everyone else who chimed in. Have read your other informative postings as well. Appreciate all that. That's precisely what I've been trying to convince my wife about that region: diversity. Lots of opportunities to enjoy more places in such a small area. The glimpse on cost of things is reassuring. All the desired factors are in place: A major airport hub...for quick get aways when you want to get away. A major interstate...I-5, gets you in and out quickly to almost anywhere (barring commute traffic during certain times). Excellent places to shop (we particularly enjoyed shopping at a big mall we went to in PDX ones...forgot what's it called)...and as you and others mentioned, lots of places for me and my wife to go to socialize, meet people. And there is a large VA medical facility in Portland. Was seen there once. Very pleased with the service. We have kinfolks farther south in Oregon...and another just south of Seattle. Most of our relatives, son & his family, old friends...are all on the west side of the country. The +++'s are stacking up!

Keep the good info coming...and the encouragement. I'm compiling them all in my Vancouver Area Studies file...for my wife to read. Good thing I kept my WA license and vehicle registration...in fact, I recently re-registered my car and just received my 2015 sticker. And to think I almost registered my car here...until they told me it's going to cost $400! I only paid $60 in WA to re-register.

One more thing...down to the nuts and bolts. It's been eight months since we left WA...am sure the cost of living has at least kicked up a notch or two. We will only need a 2-bedroom...a garage would be a big plus...condo, apartment, or house, pref in a gated community...but not an absolute requirement. We are hoping to find one to rent right around $1,200/month...plus utilities. We don't have other big expenses...don't smoke, no pets, don't drink, no expensive hobbies.. we occasionally like to eat out to good restaurants. No car payments to make, and only small payments for credit card use. We have full medical/dental coverage and no major health issues. You think we will be able to manage on $5K...take home, income?

Old 05-26-2014, 02:35 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,685,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStraight View Post
Thanks for the informative..and encouraging reply, StealthRabbit...and everyone else who chimed in. Have read your other informative postings as well. Appreciate all that. That's precisely what I've been trying to convince my wife about that region: diversity. Lots of opportunities to enjoy more places in such a small area. The glimpse on cost of things is reassuring. All the desired factors are in place: A major airport hub...for quick get aways when you want to get away. A major interstate...I-5, gets you in and out quickly to almost anywhere (barring commute traffic during certain times). Excellent places to shop (we particularly enjoyed shopping at a big mall we went to in PDX ones...forgot what's it called)...and as you and others mentioned, lots of places for me and my wife to go to socialize, meet people. And there is a large VA medical facility in Portland. Was seen there once. Very pleased with the service. We have kinfolks farther south in Oregon...and another just south of Seattle. Most of our relatives, son & his family, old friends...are all on the west side of the country. The +++'s are stacking up!

Keep the good info coming...and the encouragement. I'm compiling them all in my Vancouver Area Studies file...for my wife to read. Good thing I kept my WA license and vehicle registration...in fact, I recently re-registered my car and just received my 2015 sticker. And to think I almost registered my car here...until they told me it's going to cost $400! I only paid $60 in WA to re-register.

One more thing...down to the nuts and bolts. It's been eight months since we left WA...am sure the cost of living has at least kicked up a notch or two. We will only need a 2-bedroom...a garage would be a big plus...condo, apartment, or house, pref in a gated community...but not an absolute requirement. We are hoping to find one to rent right around $1,200/month...plus utilities. We don't have other big expenses...don't smoke, no pets, don't drink, no expensive hobbies.. we occasionally like to eat out to good restaurants. No car payments to make, and only small payments for credit card use. We have full medical/dental coverage and no major health issues. You think we will be able to manage on $5K...take home, income?
Vancouver has a great location due to the closeness of a very large city over in Portland, or, you can kick back and enjoy the burbs of east Van and light traffic on the many large throughways going east to west and north to south. The old part of town has developed nicely in the last few years, nice little restaurants, bars, movies, and scenic walking trails. I'm a person who finds high humidity areas hard to breathe in, the weather here today is high clouds, sun and around 67 degrees, just right for anything in or out of doors.

I looked around for nice little towns when I retired in 07, I passed on Vancouver because it was too far south from family, then I met a woman here in town and got married, so, Vancouver is now home and I'm loving it. Seattle Tacoma area is about two hours depending on traffic and the trips out to the beach are those slow scenic drives on the Oregon (I-30) or Wa side (Wa-14) of the river, either way it's a nice ride and the weather there is so much cooler that we go there on those very hot days (over 100) that we've got the last few years in August. Overall, this area is a little warmer than Seattle and a lot warmer than Blaine. Come on up and explore for a few days, if you would like a little tour let me know when you would be arriving, Im retired so it isn't an inconvenience for me at all.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area