Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 09:22 PM

584 posts, read 1,342,327 times

Advertisements

You need to be really selective because smaller home in Vancouver is now asking almost equally to Beaverton, Aloha, Hillsboro in Oregon due to low inventory caused asking price going crazy stupid interm of compariyion . You have to pick Beaverton, Hillsboro over Vancouver due to valuation going forward.
I predict things will peak this summer due to low inventory then start to slow and down after when the fed raise interest rate. What will sustained are cities with good schools and jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 12:25 AM

148 posts, read 178,795 times
a house in Camas averages 1.9 offers vs. Milwaukie at 3.8, anything in Oregon is a better investment

Old 04-21-2015, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizeriqua View Post
I am in the process of buying in Vancouver, WA right now. Luckily, the seller accepted my offer over several others because I am coming from out of state and allowing seller to rent back the property. Anyways, my realtor, a very experienced and fabulous agent, who has been selling in Vancouver for 15+ years, told me she was so glad that I made this choice becuase the market in the area is HOT and homes are selling same day, inmany cases, and homes are going for over asking price. I was looking in Portland and I was told to expect to pay at least $20k over asking and that I would be competing with a dozen offers everytime, many of them cash offers. Luckily for me, my office will be in Vancouver. I am so excited to get there!
Not sure about this, but I haven't noticed this going on in Vancouver

Old 04-21-2015, 07:05 AM

113 posts, read 128,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
......... It's a seller's market at the moment and the 'good' homes are taking multiple offers very quickly and selling for well over asking. I heard of one buyer in the past month who put an offer on an attractive home for $25k over list price and her offer was not accepted. ..........
It would seem that if an offer of 10% over asking price was rejected, the home was improperly priced in the first place, or there were other problems with the offer.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:44 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,507,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloyd View Post
a house in Camas averages 1.9 offers vs. Milwaukie at 3.8, anything in Oregon is a better investment
Sure. Except for that whole income tax thing. And the schools.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:43 AM

20 posts, read 34,182 times
Default Areas

Yes, we basically focused on NW Vancouver after touring schools there. I didn't check comps on sold properties in Camas after we decided Vancouver was a better fit for us. We looked in Felida, Lakeshore, and a little in Salmon Creek.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:46 AM

472 posts, read 529,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloyd View Post
Not sure about this, but I haven't noticed this going on in Vancouver
I think it has to do with location. The uptown/down town are is hot. Do a search on John L Scott for houses from Kaufman to I-5 and 39th down to the water front for $250K and below and you will see very little inventory. Houses are being purchased first day on the market if reasonably priced with a decent location.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Sure. Except for that whole income tax thing. And the schools.
I'm not sure about Camas schools since my kid is in college, but I will say Camas high school is ranked 20th in the State of Washington and there are 8 Public High Schools in the Portland Metro (Oregon side) ranked higher nationally than Camas high school. I would like some more info on Camas schools being superior to schools in the Portland metro (Oregon side).

Last edited by sloyd; 04-21-2015 at 10:36 PM..

Old 04-22-2015, 07:45 AM

20 posts, read 34,182 times
Sloyd,

The national rankings are based on the number of AP tests taken (not passed, just taken) by students, and schools across the country, including the poorly-funded schools in CA, end up on that list.

My assessment of schools in Oregon vs. Washington is based on funding and resources provided by school districts for students.

In Oregon, as in California, my research showed that most elementary schools do not have funding for credentialed art, music, PE, and library teachers. In Clark County, you'll find those to be standard, and in Vancouver you can add creative movement to the list. Class size and support services for schools in WA are also better.

My guess is those nationally-ranked schools in Oregon are in high-wealth areas with educated parents who do a lot to supplement what public schools offer. If you aren't particularly wealthy OR if you are concerned about equity in public education, Washington is a better bet.

There are good schools everywhere, because there are good teachers everywhere. Supported teachers, though, are more effective because they are less stressed and have more resources.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:28 AM

467 posts, read 528,827 times
National rankings based on AP tests are very confusing. WA offers Running Start, which many of the students chose rather than AP classes. Therefore, fewer AP classes are offered. OR does not have an equivalent to Running Start, so the high schools in some areas offer many AP classes.

I am not sure about OR, but in WA you have to be certified in the area you teach, whether it be art, music, PE, English, etc. I think this complies with federal legislation, so I would be surprised if it was different in OR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area