Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 10:46 PM

15 posts, read 39,430 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Vancouver Wa area this summer from Houston Tx. Im wondering what a local would consider a bad area and why. The bad areas in Houston are extremely noticeable, is it the same in Vancouver? You are not even safe walking from a store to your car without the risk of being robbed or shot so it seems in houston. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 12:07 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
East 4th plain from Grand Ave to I-205 and area near main post office is one of the worst in Vancouver, but you are very likely to be plenty safe there. Few robberies and very few armed altercations.

Area near Mill Plain Walmart is a bit shady too. (For housing)

Old 04-27-2016, 12:13 PM

17,306 posts, read 12,228,591 times
The "bad" areas here are nothing compared to what you find out east.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
East 4th plain from Grand Ave to I-205 and area near main post office is one of the worst in Vancouver, but you are very likely to be plenty safe there. Few robberies and very few armed altercations.

what exactly makes those areas bad? junky yards and crackheads?
Good to know about few robberies, thanks! We live in a nice area (Katy, Tx) 15 mins outside of Houston and the ghetto still finds its way over here to break into homes

Old 04-28-2016, 01:17 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Petty crime, burglary, car theft.... High rental / section 8 population.

You are very safe in 95% of Vancouver.
99.5% of Camas or Ridgefield.

Just stay out of high rental population areas

No safety issue with junky yards... I have a neighbor in my Texas home who has over 200 cars in his pasture. I keep at least 10 cars laying around my PNW house for spare parts, and to keep the tax assessor away.

Only issue is METH heads would like to steal my junky cars and sell for scrap money. That is why we have guns and mean dogs (in TEX and WA).

Old 04-28-2016, 10:44 AM

17,306 posts, read 12,228,591 times
In Vancouver proper it's mostly just that you see panhandlers at every major intersection. Like the 205 off ramp onto Mill Plain. They seem to work in shifts and share the same sign(just trying to raise $x for a hotel for my family). Some look legitimately homeless and some it looks more like a lifestyle choice to just exist as an urban camper. As well as outright scammers who have their Lexus parked around the corner.

There was a spree of package thefts off doorsteps and other such petty crime. The more widespread adoption of homeowner security cameras is at least getting those who do that caught quicker.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:57 PM

102 posts, read 325,670 times
Quote:

Those are big area from grand blvd

Old 04-28-2016, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Petty crime, burglary, car theft.... High rental / section 8 population.

You are very safe in 95% of Vancouver.
99.5% of Camas or Ridgefield.

Just stay out of high rental population areas

No safety issue with junky yards... I have a neighbor in my Texas home who has over 200 cars in his pasture. I keep at least 10 cars laying around my PNW house for spare parts, and to keep the tax assessor away.

Only issue is METH heads would like to steal my junky cars and sell for scrap money. That is why we have guns and mean dogs (in TEX and WA).

Not bad at all. unfortunately we will most likely end up in a high rental area since we will be renting at first I hope we can score a decent house or townhome in the salmon creek or camas area. Even if we do end up in a "bad" area, we have a gun for every room haha.

Let me now if you ever need someone to stop by and feed those mean dogs of yours while you are on holiday, I am moving my pet/house sitting service with me to WA.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
In Vancouver proper it's mostly just that you see panhandlers at every major intersection. Like the 205 off ramp onto Mill Plain. They seem to work in shifts and share the same sign(just trying to raise $x for a hotel for my family). Some look legitimately homeless and some it looks more like a lifestyle choice to just exist as an urban camper. As well as outright scammers who have their Lexus parked around the corner.

There was a spree of package thefts off doorsteps and other such petty crime. The more widespread adoption of homeowner security cameras is at least getting those who do that caught quicker.
wow thats nothing compared to down here. we recently started to get panhandlers on interstate 10 but they are mostly gypsies or war vets (so they say). crackheads havent found their way this far yet.

i checked crime reports for some of the areas and suicide attempts seem to be popular. Is this a "thing" up there?

Old 04-29-2016, 08:02 AM

472 posts, read 525,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattcatt View Post

i checked crime reports for some of the areas and suicide attempts seem to be popular. Is this a "thing" up there?
Funny you should ask, I was riding my bike across the St. Johns Bridge (in Portland) the other day and every twenty feet was a suicide hotline number. My guess is yes with the countless days of gray skies, I know its pretty bad in Seattle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Johns_Bridge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area