Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2016, 10:08 AM

472 posts, read 526,865 times

Advertisements

I’ve only been here for two years and absolutely love it! Relocating from the big C has been an easy transition. My decision to move here included many factors. The main one was the cost of living.

Obviously housing in California is much more expensive. Seattle area would have been my first choice but Seattle housing is very comparable to California so nothing but income tax benefit would be gained. I actually considered Longview/Kelso, but after a quick visit I realized how far it was from any major airports and how rundown it seemed with a high number of unsavory characters.

I landed in Vancouver due to its proximity to a large airport, the income tax benefit and affordable housing in relation to where I was coming from. Portland is a nice perk for weekend visits but that traffic is brutal so I tend stay away. I ultimately chose the downtown area due to its walk-ability and village like feel. One important thing to note is I’ve been isolated on six acres for the past eighteen years so city living was important to me.

Since I’ve lived here I’ve met so many great people. A large number of people in the downtown are new. Most I find are from Portland, and chose Vancouver because it’s “the way Portland used to be.” Others work from home like myself and chose Vancouver for the same reasons I did (Cost of living/Airport/Income tax/location)

I wanted to share with prospective new residents that Downtown Vancouver seems to be in a huge growth and development mode.

Obviously there is the huge Waterfront project
C-Tran (vine) upgrade

Multiple mixed use buildings
  • The uptown
  • VW1
  • VW2
In addition to the big projects we are getting new restaurants, businesses and pubs on a weekly basis it seems. It was interesting to hear how run down main street used to be just a few years ago (Van-Talks) it sure isn’t that way now.

The downside of living in downtown is the fair number of homeless. Its nothing compared to Portland or San Francisco, as with any city its expected. With the homeless and housing crisis I think petty theft and car break-ins seem to be on the rise. With that said it’s not a utopia but I hope I’ve provided a little color of what I’ve seen in downtown.

If you know of other big changes post them up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 05:26 PM

379 posts, read 339,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberous View Post
I’ve only been here for two years and absolutely love it! Relocating from the big C has been an easy transition. My decision to move here included many factors. The main one was the cost of living.

Obviously housing in California is much more expensive. Seattle area would have been my first choice but Seattle housing is very comparable to California so nothing but income tax benefit would be gained. I actually considered Longview/Kelso, but after a quick visit I realized how far it was from any major airports and how rundown it seemed with a high number of unsavory characters.

I landed in Vancouver due to its proximity to a large airport, the income tax benefit and affordable housing in relation to where I was coming from. Portland is a nice perk for weekend visits but that traffic is brutal so I tend stay away. I ultimately chose the downtown area due to its walk-ability and village like feel. One important thing to note is I’ve been isolated on six acres for the past eighteen years so city living was important to me.

Since I’ve lived here I’ve met so many great people. A large number of people in the downtown are new. Most I find are from Portland, and chose Vancouver because it’s “the way Portland used to be.” Others work from home like myself and chose Vancouver for the same reasons I did (Cost of living/Airport/Income tax/location)

I wanted to share with prospective new residents that Downtown Vancouver seems to be in a huge growth and development mode.

Obviously there is the huge Waterfront project
C-Tran (vine) upgrade

Multiple mixed use buildings
  • The uptown
  • VW1
  • VW2
In addition to the big projects we are getting new restaurants, businesses and pubs on a weekly basis it seems. It was interesting to hear how run down main street used to be just a few years ago (Van-Talks) it sure isn’t that way now.

The downside of living in downtown is the fair number of homeless. Its nothing compared to Portland or San Francisco, as with any city its expected. With the homeless and housing crisis I think petty theft and car break-ins seem to be on the rise. With that said it’s not a utopia but I hope I’ve provided a little color of what I’ve seen in downtown.

If you know of other big changes post them up!
What kind of rent are you paying? Hopefully you bought a place, I truly regret not buying one when I moved here 3 years ago. Another couple years of 20-30% annual increases and I'm done.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:13 AM

472 posts, read 526,865 times
I own my home.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:29 PM

379 posts, read 339,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberous View Post
I own my home.
Very wise decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area