Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 08:45 PM

5,442 posts, read 7,737,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
That's a bummer about WSU-V. We've seen and heard about much better results from UW's satellites, especially Bothell which is the fastest growing U. in state. In Bothell's case, its so close students can actually take some classes at the main campus if they want to. And some professors teach at both locations. There seems to be a lot more synergy there with the local companies partnering with the school. I'm kinda surprised there isn't more from Portland companies wanting to partner with WSU-V. Maybe they are focused more on Portland state and other local schools. Even for school without fantastic reputations, I've seen 'proximity' to certain industries push the school and their students forward into job training programs in the form of internships and eventually careers.

Derek
The UW branch campuses have an entirely different dynamic. The UW main campus in Seattle is frankly over capacity when it comes to undergrads. The main UW hierarchy came up with the branch campus plan to prevent the establishment of an entirely new state university in Tacoma or Everett as there was growing pressure for that to happen. So they went all in with two substantial branch campuses north and south of UW and have been pouring a lot of money into them to make them a viable alternative for undergrads who would otherwise want to go to UW. It is a way for the main big wigs in UW Seattle to expand their influence rather than see it bled off by having to compete with a new independent state university.

The WSU branch campuses are really far flung from Pullman so they really don't get the same attention from the main campus. Out of sight, out of mind so to speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 08:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
There is the rub... Oregon companies are VERY Oregon loyal / focused (obsessed with Oregon schools / grads /employees)

(worked with and for many Oregon Companies, we had NO WA interns (but several from Eastern U's and CA))

WA companies have had no issues with hiring Oregon interns / grads. (IME)

(We just had this discussion with a Vancouver employer this afternoon)

Old 06-01-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
There is the rub... Oregon companies are VERY Oregon loyal / focused (obsessed with Oregon schools / grads /employees)

(worked with and for many Oregon Companies, we had NO WA interns (but several from Eastern U's and CA))

Pretty true. I've lived in both Seattle and Portland and I attended schools in both OR and WA. In Oregon, especially the UO there is intense hatred for all things UW and WSU. Especially the purple and gold. In Seattle and at the UW, no one much thinks of the UO. They are more likely to see CA schools (Stanford, Berkeley, USC) as the competition. This attitude stays with the alumni.

Last edited by texasdiver; 06-01-2018 at 09:57 PM..

Old 06-01-2018, 09:38 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Quote:

So is it like some kind next door neighbor/sibling (little brother/big brother) rivalry or bias with Portland not hiring WA interns? What's your theory or impression? That sounds kind of ridiculous especially if they hire from other states including CA, et al.

Derek

Old 06-01-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Pretty true. I attended schools in both OR and WA. In Oregon, especially the UO there is intense hatred for all things UW and WSU. Especially the purple and gold. In Seattle and at the UW, no one much thinks of the UO. They are more likely to see CA schools (Stanford, Berkeley, USC) as the competition. This attitude stays with the alumni.
Interesting how biases are formed within OR toward WA. I wonder if that comes from college sports rivals?

So how does this play out for Vancouver local kids who attend WA U's? Apparently not so well for internships. But what about once they have real world experience? It seems like a lot of folks live in Vancouver and commute to Portland. Maybe that strong bias diminishes with more seasoned professionals?

Derek

Old 06-01-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
The UW branch campuses have an entirely different dynamic. The UW main campus in Seattle is frankly over capacity when it comes to undergrads. The main UW hierarchy came up with the branch campus plan to prevent the establishment of an entirely new state university in Tacoma or Everett as there was growing pressure for that to happen. So they went all in with two substantial branch campuses north and south of UW and have been pouring a lot of money into them to make them a viable alternative for undergrads who would otherwise want to go to UW. It is a way for the main big wigs in UW Seattle to expand their influence rather than see it bled off by having to compete with a new independent state university.

The WSU branch campuses are really far flung from Pullman so they really don't get the same attention from the main campus. Out of sight, out of mind so to speak.
Thanks for that historical background regarding the forming UW branches. UW Bothell is actually our top pick in WA for our oldest son based on his interests. It seems well connected with local companies and has good reputation regardless of being a 'satellite' campus. Unfortunately the WSU branches are a bit orphaned without the same scholastic or corporate support. I haven't looked into their funding yet.

Speaking of funding UO and OSU have the lion's share of funding for research within the state. PSU seems quite a bit behind (endowments, budget, research).

Derek

Old 06-01-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Interesting how biases are formed within OR toward WA. I wonder if that comes from college sports rivals?

So how does this play out for Vancouver local kids who attend WA U's? Apparently not so well for internships. But what about once they have real world experience? It seems like a lot of folks live in Vancouver and commute to Portland. Maybe that strong bias diminishes with more seasoned professionals?

Derek
A huge percentage of Vancouverites are migrants from Oregon so frankly you see more Ducks and Beavers stickers on the cars and license plates and more Ducks and Beavers stuff in the local stores than for UW or WSU. I teach at a Vancouver area HS and even though it is in WA it seems like more kids are into UO and OSU but I think that is partly because it is more likely that their parents went to one of those schools. Perhaps also because all the local TV stations are Portland-based (Vancouver doesn't have any of its own TV stations) so all the local sports coverage on TV is tilted towards Oregon. Portland TV stations cover the Ducks and Beavers like home teams.

Frankly I would not let this enter into your decison-making. No one is going to question your kid's credentials if they go to a good WA state school. And frankly WA is double the size of OR with a lot more regional cities and economies. Your kids are perhaps more likely to end up in Puget Sound anyway.

My family goes back 5 generations in OR (my kids are 6th generation). My great great grandfather came across from Ohio and built a farm near Albany in the 1890s. So I have dozens of cousins and extended family all over the region. When I was growing up in the 70s everyone lived in the Willamette Valley between Eugene and Portland. In the past decades there has been a steady migration north by the most educated and ambitious of my extended family to the point that there are perhaps as many or more in the Puget Sound area as the Willamette Valley.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:49 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
So is it like some kind next door neighbor/sibling (little brother/big brother) rivalry or bias with Portland not hiring WA interns? What's your theory or impression? That sounds kind of ridiculous especially if they hire from other states including CA, et al.

Derek
It's an Oregon thing (they seem to have an axe to grind), not just schools, but politics and business. When I arrived on the left coast, WA residents had to pay an additional out of state surcharge to use OR state parks (more that other states). It is very Oregon... +/-. You learn how to deal with it (passive aggressive) there are sociological studies around this unique behavior (to the PNW). Just don't rock the boat (or disagree with anyone in OR). Let them live in their bubble and they are very content (the passive side). Raise a counter opinion and you will be ostracized for life (don't do that if you plan to stay LT in your OR neighborhood). It is very simple. Smile, agree, let it go. They will be happy as clams.

Old 06-02-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
It's an Oregon thing (they seem to have an axe to grind), not just schools, but politics and business. When I arrived on the left coast, WA residents had to pay an additional out of state surcharge to use OR state parks (more that other states). It is very Oregon... +/-. You learn how to deal with it (passive aggressive) there are sociological studies around this unique behavior (to the PNW). Just don't rock the boat (or disagree with anyone in OR). Let them live in their bubble and they are very content (the passive side). Raise a counter opinion and you will be ostracized for life (don't do that if you plan to stay LT in your OR neighborhood). It is very simple. Smile, agree, let it go. They will be happy as clams.
Interesting situation. Yes, we've got some odd ones here in CA as well politically and educationally (one-sided curriculum, protests, etc...). There is the notion of free thinking and tolerance as long as you don't disagree with certain agendas/political slants... Then it becomes very intolerant. But this doesn't *normally* trickle into business especially as it relates to the hiring process. With so many large companies and CEOs from other states and nations, its very impractical to favor certain states over others. Though we have companies like Google with employees protesting in large numbers and even quitting when Google began working with the gov't and military. There's some definite hostility and bias there.

I've also heard that this can vary in Oregon just like any state depending on 'where' one lives (e.g. more rural vs. large cities). For example, I've heard OSU can have a greater mixture of students being more rural. That of course is relatively speaking to other OR campuses. Whereas the larger cities like PDX are more group think, stay within party lines as you mentioned above.

In WA you have some similar things going on in places like Olympia with Evergreen State College's debacle, 'whites stay home day' and complete unraveling. Though generally speaking WA may be more willing as you mentioned to work with college interns from other states. It also sounds like Vancouver is more eclectic in this way as well.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 06-02-2018 at 11:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area