Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 11:45 PM

112 posts, read 136,313 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I've been seriously thinking of moving back to WA at the end of this year from LA. I'd lived in Seattle almost 20yr, and the lack of income tax is drawing me back. The COL in Seattle has gone through the roof since I last lived there (~4yr ago), though.

But I recently started thinking about Vancouver WA as an option, given the proximity to Portland as well. (I've spent a decent amount of time in Portland, when I'd lived in Seattle.)

I'm a software exec and work from home, so can live pretty much anywhere - and looking for a cheaper option than LA. Also, I'm 49/divorced and my kids are all 18+ and are doing their own thing, so it's just me and the dogs moving.

I've read the whole 'hipster city' thread about Vancouver, and I do lean that direction - enjoy seeing live music, have tattoos, enjoy a craft cocktail now and then - but I'm obviously out of the core age bracket.

I don't mind a slower pace of life, since I work a lot, and am somewhat of a homebody. Our main office is in San Diego, so being close to the airport is a positive.

For those that have relocated to Vancouver from a larger city, can you give any feedback on how the transition has been? (Since Seattle I've lived in Austin, Chicago, and now LA.)

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

Last edited by deadpukka; 07-07-2018 at 12:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 11:39 AM

5,447 posts, read 7,740,196 times
I've lived in Seattle and Central TX but not Chicago or LA.

We are about the same age but I'm married with 3 kids, two still at home.

From an Austin perspective, living in Vancouver is basically like living in Round Rock. The more upscale town of Camas to the east of Vancouver would be more like living in the Lake Travis area.

From a Seattle perspective, living in Vancouver is basically like living in say... Bothell. You are part of the metro area but not at the center of it. But all the shops and restaurants and actitives in Portland are 15-30 minutes away depending on traffic as long as you aren't trying to get there during commuting hours. I live in Camas which is east of Vancouver and getting into central Portland is about 20-25 minutes on weekends or evenings when traffic is light. It can push 45-60 min during weekday commuting times. Since we only go into Portland on weekends and evenings we never really notice the traffic but it is commuting hell for those who work business hours in Portland.

Vancouver, has especially good access to PDX as does Camas to the east. In fact, much of Vancouver has better access to PDX than much of the Portland area, especially all the western suburbs like Beaverton. We live in Camas and are 10-15 minutes from the airport depending on traffic. PDX is the first exit when you cross the I-205 bridge from Vancouver into Portland. So MUCH MUCH more accessible from Vancouver than say Beaverton or south Portland suburbs which would force you drive all the way through central Portland to get to the airport.

The downtown Vancouver area is rapidly becoming its own urban center with perhaps a dozen or more breweries and new apartments and condos going up every week. There is an absolutely MASSIVE new development going up on the Vancouver waterfront that will have multiple apartment/condo towers and all manner of new restaurants and shops and such. If you are looking for apartment/condo life that is one area to keep an eye on. Most of the construction is perhaps a year or two away from being ready to occupy. It is the Columbia River shoreline directly west of the I-5 bridge that used to be all industrial land. Here's info: https://thewaterfrontvancouverusa.com/ That area would probably be 15-20 minutes from the airport. If you wanted closer then look at the Fishers Landing area in East Vancouver but that is more suburban. If you like walkable older neighborhoods, the uptown neighborhood of Vancouver just to the north of downtown is quite nice with lots of shops and restaurants along main street surrounded by residential housing. Perhaps a bit like Wallingford in Seattle. But it is in high demand and houses go quickly.

Honestly the more suburban areas of Vancouver such as East Vancouver and Camas are pretty family centric. Lots of families with school age kids. Most people are moving into the area for the quality of the schools which isn't really your thing. You would probably be happier in the downtown Vancouver area where there is more nightlife and that sort of thing. Although you might want to check out Camas as well. New breweries and restaurants are opening there all the time although it's more of an older upscale suburban vibe rather than hipster. More antique shops and clothing boutiques rather than tattoo parlors and live music venues.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:40 PM

Thank you! This is a great breakdown of pros/cons, and much appreciated. The comparisons to Seattle and Austin area towns makes a lot of sense.

I like the easy access to PDX from the north, for my monthly trips down to San Diego.

I typically end up living in walkable neighborhoods, wherever I've been, so the uptown neighborhood of Vancouver sounds appealing. (I found a list of the "Brooklyn" of each state, and I've already lived in 4 of them.)

I'm paying $2800 for a 2BR duplex apt in LA, and would prefer to rent a house in WA for around $2000-2200. Given the extra take-home from no state tax plus saving about $500 in rent would be my preference. If I could find a small house with yard for the dogs, backyard for grilling, and can walk to a beer/coffee, it would be perfect.

For live music (or tattoos, etc. , going into Portland for those would be fine. My day-to-day during the workweek is pretty mundane and don't leave my current neighborhood much. I just want to avoid being in a purely suburban area which is all younger families. (I'd lived that life up in Seattle, when we moved to Kingston to raise the kids.)

I can handle a grittier, up-and-coming area, and don't need malls, chain restaurants, etc. I actually loved my Chicago (Avondale) neighborhood feel, with the local tavern where you got to know everyone.

Last edited by deadpukka; 07-07-2018 at 01:04 PM..

Old 07-07-2018, 12:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpukka View Post
Thank you! This is a great breakdown of pros/cons, and much appreciated. The comparisons to Seattle and Austin area towns makes a lot of sense.

I like the easy access to PDX from the north, for my monthly trips down to San Diego.

I typically end up living in walkable neighborhoods, wherever I've been, so the uptown neighborhood of Vancouver sounds appealing. ...
For live music (or tattoos, etc. , going into Portland for those would be fine. My day-to-day during the workweek is pretty mundane and don't leave my current neighborhood much. I just want to avoid being in a purely suburban area which is all younger families. (I'd lived that life up in Seattle, when we moved to Kingston to raise the kids.)

I can handle a grittier, up-and-coming area, and don't need malls, chain restaurants, etc. I actually loved my Chicago (Avondale) neighborhood feel, with the local tavern where you got to know everyone.

I think Downtown Vancouver, WA would suit you, several of my co-worker friends have relocated there. There are quite a few Walkable venues, but limited housing. I did enjoy Avondale last week.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:25 PM

Thanks, the area along Main Street looks like there's everything I'd need.

Problem does seem to be very low inventory, as you mentioned - some really nice houses around $2500, but more space (3-4BR) than I'd need. I'd prefer that over an apartment, though. Doesn't seem like much in between $1200-1500 apts and the $2500 houses, so I'll have to keep an eye on the market.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:30 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,576,007 times
We made this exact move. From San Diego to Vancouver WA. Based on what you say, you'll like it here. Quite a bit I'd say, especially if you like your alone time. It's an ideal place for urban hikes, quiet alone time, good weather most of the year, low humidity. Just need to get through the winter, generally November through early February. January is when you should vacation, it's the worst month up here weather-wise. That's good, because January flights and rentals are very cheap, it's ideal for PNW residents. All the annoying families are back in school, meaning lower prices and no crowds for us.

I'd put Camas on your list. Yeah, lots of families and property taxes are a bit higher. But there are some nice view homes, and you have very fast access to both the airport and to Portland. Good urban hiking, absolutely can walk around here. You will need a car, but accessible shopping is just minutes away, minimal traffic.

Also consider selecting a home that has access to broadband fiber through Frontier FIOS. We have it, it's great. It's available in Camas, and likely other areas as well. Will make those GIT commits super-fast. Also, Verizon. Get Verizon wireless. We've found Verizon has the best coverage up here; T-Mobile and the others still have some dead spots (though Clark County right now is negotiation for the mini cell towers to blanket the entire area, and this area needs it).

Wherever you land, look to be close to Interstate 205 and the 14, because these two lead directly to PDX Airport. It's the first exit off the 205 after you cross the bridge/river. Very convenient and one of the best airports in the U.S. Also, this gives you proximity to the east side of Portland, as well as sales-tax-free shopping in Oregon. I think the entire Cascades shopping complex that sits right across from us on the river exists to serve Washington residents who don't want to pay sales taxes. It will start to add up when buying iPhones and iMacs or PCs and SSDs tax-free, let me tell you.

Try not to be too far north of the Columbia River, because then you'll have to deal with north-south rush hour traffic, and it can be a nightmare during work commutes. Plus for someone like you, you'll appreciate the Portland proximity; if there's no traffic, you'll be able to sprint into Portland in around fifteen to twenty minutes. If there's rush-hour traffic, however, and you're going into the heart of downtown, it could take an hour. Traffic is the big negative, don't underestimate it.

Finally, it will be very easy to get down to San Diego. Have taken that flight many times. It's fast. Lots of Bay Area refugees are buying properties up here, I swear I think every other recent transplant is a San Francisco cash-out. Make sure you get your TSA Precheck or Global Entry traveler number. For some reason, many people up here do not have it. That means the PreCheck security line at PDX takes thirty seconds, and maybe a few minutes during peak holiday travel.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:48 PM

This is awesome feedback, thanks. Not looking to be a hermit, but I don't mind having a slower pace of life. Still will want to make new friends, and have some local haunts to hang out at.

I'll have to compare weather between Seattle and Vancouver. I was a bit over the rain/grey in Seattle (although summers were gorgeous), and it's probably going to be similar in Vancouver, I'm guessing? That said, it's a balance - no snow like Chicago, or heat like Austin.

Good points about FIOS and Verizon - yeah I have AT&T now, and some cities are terrible for it.

Having that quick access to PDX for flights would be perfect. Great hint about Precheck!

One concern is very low rental inventory, from what I saw on Zillow. I'll have to time it right to make sure there's something decent available, when I'm ready to move.

Old 07-08-2018, 01:47 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,576,007 times
Quote:
I'll have to compare weather between Seattle and Vancouver. I was a bit over the rain/grey in Seattle (although summers were gorgeous), and it's probably going to be similar in Vancouver, I'm guessing? That said, it's a balance - no snow like Chicago, or heat like Austin.
It's similar, but we do get a bit more sun and probably a little less rain than Seattle. But in winter, there will be many continuous days of thick clouds and no sun, similar to Seattle. If you can get away for two to three weeks in January, come back in February, spring is right around the corner.

As for snow, it's minimal. But it does happen. The last couple winters we have had one or two snows a year. Also, ice. There will be icy streets once or twice a year, and it is dangerous. Best to stay parked on those days. But it usually gets above freezing quickly, and all of it melts away by noon or so. This is a common pattern. So, you could have years of no snow, and then the next year, there will be snow and ice for a couple or few days.

So this is ideal for us, because we like to travel during winter, when prices are cheapest and families are stuck in their school/work routine. Especially true starting right after Christmas through February, so we are usually gone all of January. It's the perfect home base for a single person or a pair with no kids with minimal responsibilities or ones that can be done remotely. You've got no income taxes (huge), reasonable cost of living (though housing is high), good to absolutely superb weather 75% of the year, clean water and green surroundings with tons of wildlife, some of the best outdoors views, hikes, skiing, activities anywhere in the United States, and usually nice people. It's a hard combo to find anywhere else, and anything coming close is usually in a desert community with 110 degree temps.

Old 07-08-2018, 03:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
This is awesome feedback, thanks. Not looking to be a hermit, but I don't mind having a slower pace of life. ...
I'll have to compare weather between Seattle and Vancouver. ..
Having that quick access to PDX for flights would be perfect. Great hint about Precheck!

Weather is very similar, yr to yr varies a few days better in one spot or the other.

Culture is VERY different (Seattle - upwardly mobile (think Coffee), Vancouver Portland = Docile in comparison (think brew pubs / brew your own) (plenty of opportunities with less competition / daily pressure))

PDX is a DREAM compared to SEA-TAC (in and out in a few minutes)

For Precheck![/b]... get your Sentri (Cheaper and ezr to get(available appointments) than Global Entry) and will help for Canada visits. (I consider my $280 WA Enhanced DL pretty worthless (Don't bother if you get Sentri). I have to keep a CDL with Port access, so need my WA E DL I will get a South Dakota (income tax free) DL/ domicile ASAP. <$50 for much longer renewal. (WA requires every 24 months renewal with a CDL Haz Mat)

Old 07-08-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
It's a hard combo to find anywhere else, and anything coming close is usually in a desert community with 110 degree temps.
Agreed, I've been casting a wide net on potential cities, and had looked at Summerlin/Las Vegas.

It has a ton going for it, but seems like living in an outdoor mall. I could get a 3BR house w/ pool for way less than I'm paying now, but it seems so vanilla and boring there esp for a single person.

I've been contemplating heading back to Austin, possibly Nashville, or maybe Chicago or Pittsburgh. There's not one place yet that checks all the boxes - although Vancouver is now very high on my list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area