Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 09:43 AM

8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
That's because "bridge" is the object of your sentence, not "I-5." No one says, "I'm driving over bridge."

I lived in CA for 25 years, but where I lived we never said "the 5" or "the 80." Seems like more of a SoCal thing, though it's creeping everywhere, apparently! Those dang Californians, bringing their weirdo ways to the PNW!

I noticed a long time ago that there isn't really a rule explaining when to use "the." Example: if you listen to BBC World News, you'll hear Brits say, "The victim was taken to hospital." We say, "The victim was taken to *the* hospital." Yet, we don't say, "I took my kids to *the* school." We just say, "I took my kids to school."
Another word like that is university. Some will say 'when my child goes to university' as opposed to 'a' university or 'the' university of such and such. Regarding freeways, SoCal has some of the worst traffic in the nation. So when we talk about one it is the object of the sentence. "I was driving the 5 today and it was a complete disaster." It's like a demonic entitiy or topic all on it's own. See what I mean? Though Seattle and Portland are approaching insane traffic levels as well especially at rush hour. So objectifying their highways may become thing at some point. Either that or the CA invasion.

Here's an example of this: The 10 Worst Los Angeles Freeways

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 09:54 AM

8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 182pilot View Post
With my thread coming back to life, I should close the loop. It looks like we are probably going to settle in Fern Prairie. We wanted something with acreage but not up the mountain. Without traffic you can get from the Fern Prairie Market to PDX in less than 20 mins and that definitely will be helpful since I'll be flying with some regularity. Visited the new Elementary School and was very impressed. It's obviously brand new so it will show great but even non-facilities elements were much more impressive to me.
Thanks for the update. Ferm Praire does look relatively close in for more of a country living type experience. It also doesn't normally have many listings. So you probably had to watch and wait for a good one to show up. Is that area still within the Camas school district?

Derek

Old 10-31-2018, 10:25 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Another word like that is university. Some will say 'when my child goes to university' as opposed to 'a' university or 'the' university of such and such.
Derek
That's because "university" replaces "college", as in "going to college" as a general phenom. That's a relatively new usage, so it stands out to you.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:29 AM

147 posts, read 150,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's because "university" replaces "college", as in "going to college" as a general phenom. That's a relatively new usage, so it stands out to you.
Not if you live in Canada or the U.K. it has always been used that way, same as being “in hospital” your child is “at university.”

Old 10-31-2018, 06:01 PM

103 posts, read 91,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Thanks for the update. Ferm Praire does look relatively close in for more of a country living type experience. It also doesn't normally have many listings. So you probably had to watch and wait for a good one to show up. Is that area still within the Camas school district?

Derek
It's definitely a wait and see game with listings that are close in and not directly on the highway but they do come up. I believe all of Fern Prairie is outside of the Camas city limits but within the school district. The school district boundaries head way up Livingston Mountain.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:23 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,730,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 182pilot View Post
It's definitely a wait and see game with listings that are close in and not directly on the highway but they do come up. I believe all of Fern Prairie is outside of the Camas city limits but within the school district. The school district boundaries head way up Livingston Mountain.
That's because there are really not that many houses up there and a lot of them are small older rural houses that are not going to be very appealing to most people moving in from places like CA exept as a teardown.

Old 11-01-2018, 05:43 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy2017 View Post
Not if you live in Canada or the U.K. it has always been used that way, same as being “in hospital” your child is “at university.”
or anywhere British,,, (India, Singapore, Oceania (NZ / AU))

or the newer phrase "@ U"

Much faster!,
no further need for questions... such as "at a University"... What university?

re: Fern Prairie,

Do keep us posted what you are looking for.

I have several friends who have sold (large homes + 5 - 40 acres) in this area
Stauffer / Ireland / Lessard Rd. (And Brown and Ammeter). (3) friends currently considering selling (larger homes)

We were all building homes like crazy in the early 1990's up in that area.
Most were ~2800 - 3500sf, many with daylight basements, shops, barns.

I still do some work in Autumn Hills and near Jones Creek.

My preference is to be as near to the Store / intersection as possible (but not near airport noise for those who prefer silence)

Nice flat sites near NE 38th st and 261 Ave "Y" (friends built (6 homes) near here) Looking back... we had a lot of fun as families building homes and homeschooling together. That particular tribe (area) we had 14 boys within 5 yrs age ~ 12 - 14 yrs old. They all helped and many have since built their own homes. (4) are now contractors. Most are now employed in High Tech or Finance nearby. Ironically, I cannot think of ONE 'escapee' / rebellious kid of the bunch who ran off and went south.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:33 AM

147 posts, read 150,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
That's because there are really not that many houses up there and a lot of them are small older rural houses that are not going to be very appealing to most people moving in from places like CA exept as a teardown.
We have several friends who live in Autumn Hills on Livingston Mountain as well as a few other gated developments, there are a lot of gigantic homes on Livingston, 5-7 acre lots, mostly wooded and they are building new ones. They are pricey, although cheaper than you would find in town, and I wouldn't personally want to live so far from town (Stealth's teen driver point hits hard with me), but if you're looking for isolation there is plenty up there in all price ranges.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:46 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Right, but being that this is a WA forum, it's safe to assume that most, if not all, the posters are Americans. And I happen to know Mtn Surfer, who raised the matter, and he's American, speaking about American usage, as was I, in response to him.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:36 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,730,554 times
Quote:
We have several friends who live in Autumn Hills on Livingston Mountain as well as a few other gated developments, there are a lot of gigantic homes on Livingston, 5-7 acre lots, mostly wooded and they are building new ones. They are pricey, although cheaper than you would find in town, and I wouldn't personally want to live so far from town (Stealth's teen driver point hits hard with me), but if you're looking for isolation there is plenty up there in all price ranges.
I guess it's a matter of definition. I think of the Fern Prairie area as being the cluster of homes and businesses around the Fern Prairie market on SR500 and the area around Grove Field airport. Livingston Mountain is another 5 miles further north. If everything north of Camas until you reach the mountains including Livingston Mountain and Spud Mountain is considered Fern Prairie then yes, there is a ton of new development and upscale homes up there. I was referring more to the immediate older community around the Fern Prairie Market.

There are also a bunch of brand new subdivisions going up east of there along SR500 and NE 28th St. If that is all considered Fern Prairie then there are indeed a lot of options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area