Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 03:04 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,707 posts, read 58,042,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberous View Post
We have been trying to convince them of a smaller footprint like we did so they can escape for a few months during the winter as we do (two/three smaller homes vs one large one.)

I want to have a list with each option to give them while driving them around to the different areas. All this info is very useful, thanks!
Small foot print is very useful in managing Clark County Property Taxes (very SF intensive).

The assessor has several ways to apply 'Best Use / Highest tax value'

In my case they love to use $250 / SF replacement cost. I built for $38 / sf (including land). I could REBUILD for $70 SF (EZ, since well / septic / foundation is in place)

I 'rebuy' my home ... every 7 yrs from Clark County...100% of the cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 07:38 AM

103 posts, read 91,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I 'rebuy' my home ... every 7 yrs from Clark County...100% of the cost.
Ugh... One of the few big negatives about our move from California. However, I currently pay an equivalent amount in prop taxes to what I would in Camas based on what we are looking at. It's just the yearly increases that are going to hurt. That being said, who knows how long it will be before prop 13 goes away anyway. A restoration of a prop-13 benefit was on the ballot and failed and there's been lots of talk about ballot measures paring it back further.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:08 AM

5,442 posts, read 7,737,640 times
Our property taxes here in Camas are almost exactly the same to the dollar as they were in Texas even though our Camas home is assessed at 85% higher value than our home was back in Texas. So honestly they don't feel out of line. How else are you going to pay for schools and infrastructure with no income tax. There are certainly much higher taxed jurisdictions than Clark County when you look at the whole picture. Especially for professional working families.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:46 PM

467 posts, read 526,617 times
Quote:
Looks like the in-laws want to move north.

They want new construction on 1/2-1 acre. Looking for smaller house/single story, price point 400k but this is flexible. Location is flexible as long as its not too far from services (groceries/hospitals.) Walk score is not important to them.

I can't find anything on zillow or John L Scott so I'm going to ask you all (sorry, I don't pay much attention to housing unless its in the Downtown area) :P

Where should I look?

Thanks!
All the new developments in Ridgefield are on smaller lots than 1/2 acre, but there are some in the 400s. However, the oldest development, Wishing Well, is on 1/2 acre lots. They are nice homes, 15 or so years old, and sometimes you can find one in the 400s, but more likely in the 500s. There are some single stories. When we were looking almost 4 years ago finding a single story was a challenge. We changed our parameter to master on the main, but even that was a challenge. We eventually did find a single story on a small lot, and now we wonder what we would do with a larger lot. All our kids in Portland have smaller lots, and they have our grandkids living with them.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:57 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,245,675 times
We’re about to close on a $440k 2400sqft house on a ~5000sqft lot which is pretty typical. But what I was actually looking for as I despise lawn care.

To get much bigger than that you’d have to bring your own lot.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:28 AM

472 posts, read 526,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane917 View Post
All the new developments in Ridgefield are on smaller lots than 1/2 acre, but there are some in the 400s. However, the oldest development, Wishing Well, is on 1/2 acre lots. They are nice homes, 15 or so years old, and sometimes you can find one in the 400s, but more likely in the 500s. There are some single stories. When we were looking almost 4 years ago finding a single story was a challenge. We changed our parameter to master on the main, but even that was a challenge. We eventually did find a single story on a small lot, and now we wonder what we would do with a larger lot. All our kids in Portland have smaller lots, and they have our grandkids living with them.
I agree, we had 5 acres for 16 years with a 4,000 sqft house just too much work, now (WA) we have 5,500 sqft lot with a 1800 sqft house and could not be happier! They say they don't want to see the neighbors, (reason for a big lot.) This is just the preliminary search so everything can change :P

Thanks for the tip on Wishing Wells, going to add it to the list!

Old 11-16-2018, 12:58 PM

77 posts, read 62,029 times
I second Jane on Wishing Wells. We didn't buy there, but it was definitely on our list. Also you might add Highlands at Pleasant Valley (Barberton/Mt. Vista area) to your list. Large, half-acre lots with lush, mature vegetation, so many of the homes there feel pretty private. Some single stories (those sell fast). Homes were built in the early 90's, so some need updating and the more expensive ones have been updated.

Example: https://www.redfin.com/WA/Vancouver/.../home/14623160

Old 11-16-2018, 01:58 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Regarding WA property taxes... it was a huge shock to see my assessment increase 80% in one year... and I was paying taxes based on what I paid for the place 18 months prior.

I-747 was tossed out and it was open season on homeowners...

The then $6800 property tax was manageable... now it is pushing 14k... there was a slight reduction a few years back and now it is back with a vengeance...

I identify with other Washington Property Owners and it certainly has made me appreciate Prop 13...

As taxes increase... I have also been down zoned... so where I originally had the home and two additional building sites now I have the home and land without the possibility of building.

I love WA but not sure I can afford it in retirement... my home with the 14k property taxes is currently rented for 2k... just enough to pay taxes, insurance and stay on top of yearly maintenance...

Old 11-16-2018, 02:24 PM

472 posts, read 526,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Regarding WA property taxes... it was a huge shock to see my assessment increase 80% in one year... and I was paying taxes based on what I paid for the place 18 months prior.

I-747 was tossed out and it was open season on homeowners...

The then $6800 property tax was manageable... now it is pushing 14k... there was a slight reduction a few years back and now it is back with a vengeance...

I identify with other Washington Property Owners and it certainly has made me appreciate Prop 13...

As taxes increase... I have also been down zoned... so where I originally had the home and two additional building sites now I have the home and land without the possibility of building.

I love WA but not sure I can afford it in retirement... my home with the 14k property taxes is currently rented for 2k... just enough to pay taxes, insurance and stay on top of yearly maintenance...
WOW!

Are you a senior? Could this help?

https://www.clark.wa.gov/assessor/pr...sabled-persons

Old 11-16-2018, 02:35 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
WOW!

Are you a senior? Could this help?

https://www.clark.wa.gov/assessor/pr...sabled-persons
No... I don't meet any of the requirements as to 40K income max, age or disability...

I did run my projected Social Security and it is just enough to pay current property taxes, insurance and maintenance... of course I will stop eating, traveling, or have money to buy gas or pay for car insurance... and will have to spend my days gathering firewood to stay warm.

Just venting...

Stealth has posted similar and I can say my experience mirrors his...

I did think WA would be my forever... but that was based on voter passed I-747.

It is not just WA... my California sellers were paying $1200 annual property tax for 1725 square feet of original 1957 construction and the day I bought it went to $8800 and is now 12k...

So higher taxes are a fact of life... and taxes are by far my biggest expense... and yes... I have a day job where I punch a time clock...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area