Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 01:17 PM

472 posts, read 527,247 times

Advertisements

The big difference you will find here is things grow big. In CA you have to heavily water anything you want to grow, with some exceptions.

For example, a cherry tree in CA will do fine in a residential neighborhood. Here they destroy sidewalks and streets, same for those beautiful birch trees. (I wanted to plant both and was strongly advised against it and was shown several examples of the damage they do) In CA we had several, and they were beautiful spindly things, here they grow to be giant destructive monsters. Rain makes things grow, even when you don't want stuff to grow!

Like others have said, I too miss my citrus and avocado.

I've found that produce is cheaper for the most part here. For example, Salad from the Salinas valley is more expensive when buying in Salinas than it is here even though it has to be truck up. Its crazy but all about supply and demand and California has a higher tolerance for the higher cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 10:00 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberous View Post
The big difference you will find here is things grow big. In CA you have to heavily water anything you want to grow, with some exceptions.

For example, a cherry tree in CA will do fine in a residential neighborhood. Here they destroy sidewalks and streets, same for those beautiful birch trees. (I wanted to plant both and was strongly advised against it and was shown several examples of the damage they do) In CA we had several, and they were beautiful spindly things, here they grow to be giant destructive monsters. Rain makes things grow, even when you don't want stuff to grow!

Like others have said, I too miss my citrus and avocado.

I've found that produce is cheaper for the most part here. For example, Salad from the Salinas valley is more expensive when buying in Salinas than it is here even though it has to be truck up. Its crazy but all about supply and demand and California has a higher tolerance for the higher cost.
That makes sense with all the water the PNW gets. It's sort of like all those smaller ornamental trees in CA with leaves that turn color in fall. I could imagine them growing huge in WA. Many of the more mature neighborhoods we drove had large trees. Though they look nice, we talked with one local who happened to also be from CA originally. He warned about all the raking he had to do which is especially difficult when the leaves are damp most of the year and tend to clump together. Whereas they would be much drier in CA. In addition, those big trees can block sunlight to the point of homes always being in the shade. So that is something we're thinking about while look at various homes/neighborhoods. We need to get 'some' sunlight exposure when it comes out.

Regarding higher prices from our backyard (the Salinas Valley), yes, I can believe it. Almost everything is more expensive here... until you visit HI. Our water bills are insane. And don't get me started about the premium prices we pay for healthcare because we're on the Monterey Peninsula. It's like highway robbery! Ok, a bit off topic there. Sorry about that.

Derek

Old 01-24-2019, 06:59 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
...In addition, those big trees can block sunlight to the point of homes always being in the shade. So that is something we're thinking about while look at various homes/neighborhoods. We need to get 'some' sunlight exposure when it comes out.

Find out if you have AC before taking out those shade trees.... many older houses don't.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,725 posts, read 58,067,115 times
You only need extra dose of sunlight in WINTER.

Stick with TALL trees with leaves for shade! (leaves that fall in Neighbor's yard, not your own.)
*hint... tress on WEST property line, so east wind blow leaves to neighbor's yard.

or better yet... trees on your west neighbor's EAST property line. They deal with the trees and the leaves!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area