Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 11:37 AM

5,454 posts, read 7,757,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 182pilot View Post
Derek, I think Stealth was a just trying to illustrate that there are tall trees on the property not necessarily that any are actually 300' tall. Unless they are old growth redwoods/sequoias that would be world record holders, the trees on Stealth's property aren't 300' tall.
The tallest known Douglas Fir tree on the planet is 327 ft tall: https://www.oregonlive.com/terryrich..._feet_int.html I would be shocked if there are any trees in Clark County that are over 300 ft tall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 02:14 PM

220 posts, read 154,573 times
That's awesome to know that we have species of tree right in our city that can be over 300 feet tall!

Not that I'm in a tree measuring competition

Old 08-18-2019, 03:40 PM

5,454 posts, read 7,757,361 times
Douglas Fir trees are the second tallest tree species in North America after the Western Redwood and ahead of the Giant Sequoia which are bigger volume around but not generally quite as tall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_superlative_trees

The Douglas Fir is actually quite an amazing tree and old growth straight grain Douglas Fir is among the best lumber you can find anywhere. The big old trees had tight straight grain which is great for lumber. The secondary growth trees that are mostly logged today tended to be faster growing so looser grain and not so structurally strong and they have more knots and stuff. It's actually not technically a fir tree either but it's own category and more closely related to the hemlock I think.

You can find redwoods around town and they grow fine here but they aren't native to this area so there aren't hundreds of year old redwood trees around in wild groves like you see along the northern CA coast.

Old 08-18-2019, 04:19 PM

220 posts, read 154,573 times
Wow and 4th largest in the world!

Now I am starting to look into tree species. Douglas fir is really a unique tree. Sure there are some taller, but I like the giant christmas tree look of the douglas fir.

I think I am going to start growing some bonsai douglas fir trees now

Old 08-19-2019, 11:22 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,508,898 times
There is a Western Red Cedar tree in Elk River (population 100), Idaho, that is located in the Panhandle of Idaho. It is a special Western Red Cedar because its size makes it the largest tree in North America outside of the Cascade Mountain Range. It's tall but its not its size that earns it its notoreity - it's its age. It's over 3,000 years old. This tree was already 500 years old when the Egyptians were building the pyramids in Giza. This tree is over 18 feet wide and 177 feet tall.

Yes, it's no match for the height of the California Redwoods or China's 10,000 year old trees, but it is something to see. It is fed by its own stream - its own personal water source.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:17 PM

1,517 posts, read 992,849 times
I used to like Biddlewoods (talk about local!) in the Cascade Park side. I quit going when it started becoming a "safe haven" for the local underage potheads. I went back there last spring for the first time in several years and a lot of the trails further in (past the beautiful creek and ivy meadows) were pretty petered out from lack of maintenence and use.

I've rediscovered Hamilton Mountain (summited it 2 or 3 times as a kid) and have hiked the ~8mi loop four times so far this year. It gets awfully gnarly near the summit but I never get tired of the views.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
My 'double trunk' Doug fir was 212', it is not my tallest, But I see the Gifford research Crane was only 250', so... nearby I am probably similar. . I prefer the Hemlocks 60' - 80' but they are not as hearty as the Doug Firs. My biggest cedar is only 80 - 100'. I helped the neighbors take out very large Cedars via sky crane, they were gigantic with 5'-6' trunks (Our 48" Chainsaw was not long enough.)
https://www.flyingmag.com/aircraft/h...son-air-crane/

Skamania Lodge is a great place to enjoy hemlock veneer finished wood panels and beams. I can't wait to be on the list when they 'remodel' and scrap the woodwork.! I did all our trim and open beams in clear hemlock, but not my walls! or ceiling (yet)

Old 10-08-2019, 05:27 PM

49 posts, read 81,814 times
Don't know if it's too far out to be considered local but one of my faves is Ape Canyon at the base of St. Helens.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:24 AM

357 posts, read 225,718 times
We always enjoy visiting Lewisville Park.

Old 07-12-2020, 04:27 PM

8,219 posts, read 16,716,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceswithBeagles View Post
We always enjoy visiting Lewisville Park.
We finally visited Lewisville Park a couple of weeks ago. Its a nice place for a hike along the river and up in forests above.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area