Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2019, 03:26 PM

30,494 posts, read 19,255,042 times

Advertisements

We saw 2 of them just on the Whidby Island side of Deception Pass a couple weeks ago...cool.

We had friends from the UK with us and he went crazy photographing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2020, 10:53 AM

23,591 posts, read 17,269,743 times
Be on the lookout, a female eagle banded in Nj in 2017 has been reported in Cromwell, CT.

Nj uses green bands. Two aluminum bands are affixed, one is a state band of unique color, the other is silver and represents a federal band. Each state uses a different color.

noted an osprey down here with a blue band, reported number and found it was born in Maine, Portland harbor 5 years before. Banders sent me a photo of the bulkhead where the chick was born and banded.

Always report banded birds, get an image if possible. Banders will celebrate the news. It is akin to being stranded on a deserted island, tossing a note in a bottle out to sea and hoping someone will find it.

Old 04-13-2020, 12:22 PM

467 posts, read 528,128 times
We see bald eagles almost daily in Ridgefield. They nest in the green space beyond our property. We are not far from the Wildlife Refuge.

Old 04-13-2020, 02:25 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,975,204 times
I live on the salmon river greenbelt and see the eagles reqularly. They perch on top of a doug fur behind my house.

Old 04-14-2020, 02:56 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,445,072 times
They fly over my house pretty often, gliding on the current & circling. I think maybe they are a mated pair in the trees not far from my place. I see them pretty frequently since I’m near the water.

There was one on a fence post on an isolated road. I parked a little up from it and just watched it from my truck for about 20 minutes.

The most surreal experience was driving on a country road and seeing a guy posing for photos with a big, white cockatoo on his arm, then seeing a circling bald eagle on the other side of the windbreak.

Old 04-14-2020, 03:30 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,092,268 times
We see them often.
While I really like them, seeing a golden eagle really does it for me.
I haven’t seen many golden eagles so they are special for me.

Old 04-14-2020, 11:10 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,445,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
We see them often.
While I really like them, seeing a golden eagle really does it for me.
I haven’t seen many golden eagles so they are special for me.
Did you not see any goldens in CA? I remember seeing quite a few through the years.

But bald eagles...I'm always excited to see them.

Old 04-16-2020, 12:40 PM

89 posts, read 186,453 times
The greatest number of bald eagles I've ever seen was in the islands in southern Alaska...

But they were a common sight around Lake Washington when we lived in Seattle.

My most surprising sighting of a bald eagle was in a tree on Catalina Island in California. They were common before 1960, but were wiped out by DDT. But they've been re-established and breeding freely since 2009; there are at least seven nesting pairs on the island now!

Old 04-17-2020, 03:57 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,092,268 times
For me it is hard to tell the difference between golden eagles and red tails unless I’m up close.
Our CA place in near the edge of a state park but I don’t often get to see them close.
At our WA place we get to see eagles up close.
There is this one spot right out our kitchen window that the eagles perch from.
Once a baldie sat there and then a few minutes later a golden sat there.
The Golden was a solid 33% larger.
I was just in awe of its beauty.

Here is a kitchen pic from this morning.
Please don’t mind the dirty dishes .
Attached Thumbnails
Bald eagles - do you see them often?-2d629d25-9670-4f48-a725-62e1d548ca92.jpeg  

Old 04-17-2020, 09:38 PM

5,471 posts, read 7,766,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrsusMinor View Post
The greatest number of bald eagles I've ever seen was in the islands in southern Alaska...

But they were a common sight around Lake Washington when we lived in Seattle.

My most surprising sighting of a bald eagle was in a tree on Catalina Island in California. They were common before 1960, but were wiped out by DDT. But they've been re-established and breeding freely since 2009; there are at least seven nesting pairs on the island now!
I spent a decade working up and down coastal Alaska. They are as common as sea gulls in every part of coastal Alaska from Ketchikan to Dutch Harbor in the Aleutians.

The biggest concentrations of bald Eagles I have ever seen is in Haines, which has an eagle festival every year in the fall. You can see hundreds of them congregating in the trees along the Chilkat River during the late salmon runs. People come from all over the world for the eagle viewing:

https://www.google.com/search?q=haines+alaska+eagles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area