Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 01:54 PM

449 posts, read 195,699 times

Advertisements

....I was wondering what the situation is like in Clark County, Washington.

Being of Asian-American descent and still interested in relocating there in the future, how would I balance this article
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-a...-week-n1169821
with what might be occurring there in Clark County.

Having a wife and toddler who are also Asian.... there is some concern from our side as to the tensions that exist there and how welcomed we may or may not be.

While lurking here in this forum I have found most of you very tolerant, warm and engaging people but I wonder if that is the realistic environment that we would realize if we were transplanted there.

I welcome all of your opinions, recommendations, observations etc.... as to the expectations, good or bad that we may be confronted with there.

If you are offended by me posting this question here, I apologize.... that was not my intent...
Just seeking honest and real answers that may have a direct affect upon our family...
Thank you for your understanding....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2020, 02:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,759 posts, read 58,170,577 times
It is remotely possible for slight racial bias in CC WA, but very easy to avoid by picking the correct neighborhoods, businesses, jobs, and schools. (we are happy to assist with that when / if needed).I highly doubt you would ever have an issue, and certainly your rights and safety will be protected by police and local neighbors and friends. PNW is generally very open and accepting and encouraging of others regardless of personal posture.

I have a lot of Asian friends and coworkers living in / near Clark County, WA (since 1980). I have spent nearly 1/4th of that time working in or commuting to Asia, so am somewhat familiar with cultures (since I am a 'foreigner' myself when living in Asia or Europe). We purposely raised our kids with exposure to different cultures, and being seen as 'different' themselves +/-. (They never attended American Schools when we lived overseas, and we stayed in regions where we could live with locals, rather than expats (wealthy whiners)).

When the borders re-open... Vancouver BC is a wonderful place to get more diverse cultures (quick plane trip, or 6 hrs by car or bus, tad longer by train.) Wonderful place to go for long weekends immersed in other cultures 1-2x / yr.

PNW is very handy for Asia flights too! (I go often!) Healthcare, friends, PT jobs, Festivals, weather...

Old 05-10-2020, 02:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,759 posts, read 58,170,577 times
RE: Asia contribution (blame) for Covid-19

Unfortunate
Shouldn't have happened.
nearly everyone miss calculated and responded incorrectly.

Ironically...(not unexpected) Asia and Oceania got their response nearly correct
Taiwan, Singapore, Thailand, Philippines, S Korea...NZ, AU...

USA and UK got it dreadfully wrong, and only have their 'closed minds' and casual sense of urgency and danger to blame. (And poor / inaccessible / non-affordable(USA) healthcare)

The Netherlands stats look bad, but they are doing a more accurate job of tracking deaths specifically related to CV-19.

Italy, Spain, and France were hindered by their intimate social behaviors and early outbreaks.

Not Asia or China's entire fault. Everyone could have done much better at recognizing and reacting.

Terribly sad it has cost lives, jobs, economy.

Could have happened in USA or another country. But did not HAVE to happen in any countries (hope we have learned something!)

Old 05-10-2020, 03:10 PM

449 posts, read 195,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
It is remotely possible for slight racial bias in CC WA, but very easy to avoid by picking the correct neighborhoods, businesses, jobs, and schools. (we are happy to assist with that when / if needed).I highly doubt you would ever have an issue, and certainly your rights and safety will be protected by police and local neighbors and friends. PNW is generally very open and accepting and encouraging of others regardless of personal posture.

I have a lot of Asian friends and coworkers living in / near Clark County, WA (since 1980). I have spent nearly 1/4th of that time working in or commuting to Asia, so am somewhat familiar with cultures (since I am a 'foreigner' myself when living in Asia or Europe). We purposely raised our kids with exposure to different cultures, and being seen as 'different' themselves +/-. (They never attended American Schools when we lived overseas, and we stayed in regions where we could live with locals, rather than expats (wealthy whiners)).

When the borders re-open... Vancouver BC is a wonderful place to get more diverse cultures (quick plane trip, or 6 hrs by car or bus, tad longer by train.) Wonderful place to go for long weekends immersed in other cultures 1-2x / yr.

PNW is very handy for Asia flights too! (I go often!) Healthcare, friends, PT jobs, Festivals, weather...
Thank you StealthRabbit...

You have rendered an open arms response to all my questions, inquiries and anything else I've had some confusion about.... and I'm sure it would be the same if I were your next door neighbor...
I appreciate you and your willingness to give and share of yourself with information and the insights you have....

My fears are mostly for my wife and daughter. My wife still has that Filipino accent and is not real fluent in English though much improved and while her comfort level is okay here because of the strong influence of Filipinos, her confidence and growth may take a slide in a distressed environment.

She may need some "Winston Churchill" encouragement.... but she's soft and sweet inside and would get discouraged I believe...

It's like Derek posted in another thread about purchasing a "home" has so many different factors involved than just the physical home itself... that's what we need to learn more of with CC, Washington and what part it could play in becoming "home" ....

Old 05-10-2020, 03:14 PM

4,038 posts, read 1,887,398 times
Stealth did a nice job of not responding to you at all.

I wouldn't fret over that kind of response - I don't know anyone that has somehow become racist now that wasn't racist before. Anyone that takes it out on you, personally, or your family - would have made up some other excuse if times were different. Idiots and racists exist everywhere.

Meantime, stealth tried to hijack your post, but I'll respond:

That's a lot of speculation with zero ammo.

The USA numbers are mile better than England's - we have 6x the population and not even 3x the dead people. No comparison, and to say their responses were the same is nonsense with zero data to back it up. If New York had closed a week sooner, we'd have less than them in real numbers, not just per capita.

The "early outbreaks" of Italy, Spain and France are another way of saying They Locked Down Late. Same as NY. Same results. Same intimacy in NY apparently.

Asian countries had a huge advantage in surveillance methods and containment tracking that does not and will never exist here in the USA. Yes, worked to limit their cases - but left their entire Island (in all cases, an Island) completely vulnerable to future infections. Almost no one is immune.

NZ and Australia - Islands. Can't replicate that response here. And no one immune.

Netherlands? 5400 dead, population 17 million - puts their per capita the same as Sweden, and quite a bit worse (20%) than the USA. But if you're saying they count "better" somehow - then we have a lot more deaths than we're reporting to make us somehow "worse" than them. Lots more. Maybe we do. But at the moment, I can only play the team that's in front of me - I use the facts as they're reported, nothing more.

Anyway - if you have a reasonable REAL response that would have worked here - knowing, now, that the citizens in general will not wear PPE or tolerate a quarantine - we'd all love to hear it. Use just the tools that the USA has.

Old 05-10-2020, 03:15 PM

22 posts, read 23,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakadinhi View Post

She may need some "Winston Churchill" encouragement....
That might be a bit difficult. I don't think he's very good at speeches anymore

Old 05-10-2020, 04:32 PM

5,469 posts, read 7,766,740 times
That's a 2-month old article.

I would not be one to say that Clark County or Vancouver are perfect paradises. But there is a large Asian-American population here and in Portland. Not as high a percentage as Seattle or San Francisco. But still sizeable.

My kids have lots of Asian-American friends and my wife and I hang out with lots of Asian-American friends and colleagues from work. I haven't sensed any issues from any of them and it would probably come up on Facebook or in conversation if there was.

If you have a wife and child then you'll no doubt be picking neighborhoods based on schools which will most likely lead you to the more affluent areas like Camas, East Vancouver, or Felida/Salmon Creek were you will find the most highly rated schools. And were you'll also find many many other Asian-American professionals (mostly in tech and medicine) who have settled in the area for the lifestyle and schools.

There are also redneck areas in the more rural fringes of the country. But even out there is is mostly just a few bad apples mixed among people that are largely decent, just more libertarian and conservative then in the more rural parts of the county.

Vancouver isn't going to be like parts of the Bay Area or Los Angeles that have huge Asian-American populations. But it is probably as good of a place as any for what you want.

Old 05-10-2020, 06:44 PM

220 posts, read 154,681 times
Lololololol if you're in a nice neighborhood in Vancouver like half the neighborhood is Asian and the other half is white

So many Asians here

Try to be in south east Vancouver

I

Old 05-10-2020, 06:45 PM

220 posts, read 154,681 times
no worries about being Asian especially in fishers landing area like everyone either works at HP or they are a doctor or something

Old 05-10-2020, 07:56 PM

8,220 posts, read 16,723,942 times
This is an interesting question. The funny thing is my wife wanted Thai food for mother's day. So we picked a highly rated Thai place near us. When I called to place the order, the gal who answered did not sound Asian 'at all.' I immediately had a suspicious reaction and joked with my wife that I didn't trust them since an Asian didn't answer the phone. Sure enough, when I picked up the food, a young, Caucasian, blond girl was at the counter. Although I didn't look too much, I was almost sure I say Asians working in the kitchen. The food was fine, BTW.

The reason I bring this story up is that we live in North East Vancouver on the edge of the country. While the area works for us, I must admit there is *not* very much diversity here. After growing up in LA and then living in Monterey, we're very accustomed to living among many cultures and this isn't it. I still work remotely form Monterey with a very diverse team including many Asians. Some our best engineers are Asian with a great work ethic and attitude.

For selfish reasons, I would like you to move where we are because we need more diversity. However, in the country areas, diversity has more to do with how Big the wheels are on your truck and the length of one's beard. Honestly, if you'll looking for more Asians, this is not the place. I would check other places that Texasdiver mentioned. The demographic will vary depending on neighborhoods and school districts.

As far as racism, it's really hard to say from our experience since we haven't seen much variety. I may notice it more than others since I'm 1/2 Hispanic with a Hispanic surname. Our kids are only 1/4 Hispanic and look very Caucasian. I don't think anyone really notices or cares.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area