Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2022, 02:07 PM

12 posts, read 20,687 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm going to be driving through the Vancouver area soon. I want to spend a day exploring Vancouver as a possible place to move in the future. I would not choose a place based just on a one-day visit, but it will help me narrow down places to seriously explore.

Can anyone recommend where to visit in order to get a sense of what it would be like to live in Vancouver?

Also, can anyone recommend good neighborhoods to live? If I move to Vancouver, I would be renting an apartment. My ideal neighborhood to live in would be walking distance to walking paths/trails. It also would be very nice to be walking distance to things like coffee shops as well. (To me, walking distance is within 10-15 minutes walk.)

Also, can anyone share with me their sense of what the significant differences are between Vancouver and other Portland suburbs other than the commute (I will be working from home) and taxes? I would like to live someplace that has access to good health care and cultural opportunities in a city but still have its own identity and community.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2022, 03:55 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
The most walkable part of Vancouver would be the uptown and downtown areas which I circled below. They are also the most "Portland-like" part of Vancouver. I circled the business districts but any apartments within 10-15 min radius of those points would be good

A more suburban part of Vancouver that still has lots of apartments and the potential to walk to shopping and restaurants/coffee shops would be the Cascade Park and Fisher's Landing parts of East Vancouver. Especially along 164th, 192nd and Mill Plain between those two streets which I circled here.

And if you are heading to East Vancouver you might as well check out Camas right next door which would also appear to meet your requirements

Old 10-10-2022, 09:00 PM

Thanks @texasdiver! I will check out these neighborhoods.

Are any of these neighborhoods within walking distance of walking trails? If so, are there any particular trails? (Preferably safe for a single woman to walk during the day.) When I visit, I would like to not only see the apartments and coffee shops, but also check out the walking trails that are available.

Thanks again. This is very helpful.

Old 10-10-2022, 09:19 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Camas also has some of the best walking trails in and around Round Lake and Lacamas Lake. We go there often as a family.

It's going to really come down to how big of an area you want to live in and how urban it feels vs. a small town vibe. Camas is a very small town with a smallish downtown and lots of nice amenities 'for its size.' If you're ok with that small town vibe, it checks the other boxes. Only you can say if it fits what you're really looking for. I don't find the downtown that interesting or compelling to want to visit more than the few times we have. But if we lived there, maybe a bit more, perhaps. By contrast, Lacamas Lake is one of my favorites spots to recreate - paddle, hike, etc... It really comes down to personal interests. I don't antique, quilt, like fancy smelling soaps, candles or the other trinkets you'll find in many small downtowns like Camas. I've endured it for my wife's sake and that's about it until bored to tears. lol

Most of Vancouver is a huge sprawling suburb which is fine if you're ok with driving more than walking and lots of big box stores. It works for us as a family of five. But that doesn't sound like what you want. So, check out those other areas Texasdiver shows in above. Here is a link to the hiking trails in Camas. https://www.alltrails.com/explore/us...34148971666646

We also enjoying walking down by Wintler Park. But I'm not sure it has all those other things you're looking for (shops, etc...), probably not. Still, its a nice place to walk and check out the river. https://www.alltrails.com/explore/tr...enway-trail--2

Also, Waterfront Park is nice with more of the shops you're thinking of.
https://www.visitvancouverwa.com/thi...t-development/

In the end, Portland may be more what you're after. Though there are some cautions you'll need to take due to some of the social unrest in the more urban parts. It comes with its own societal issues. If you're young and 'hip' Vancouver may seem too slow for you or 'older' feeling even though we have lots of young people throughout. If you're somewhat older, it may be more to you're liking. Not saying it can't work for a young'ish' person. Portland does have more cultural event, concerts, art galleries, museums, botanical gardens, etc... All the things a larger city and cultural center brings. We're fine with driving over there for those things when we want to experience them. But you're apparently focused on walking more than anything. So, not sure what all of that really entails for an ideal location and environment. It honestly sounds a lot closer to where we moved from in Monterey CA. But that's a long way away and more $$ too.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 10-10-2022 at 09:52 PM..

Old 10-10-2022, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderingWhere11 View Post
Thanks @texasdiver! I will check out these neighborhoods.

Are any of these neighborhoods within walking distance of walking trails? If so, are there any particular trails? (Preferably safe for a single woman to walk during the day.) When I visit, I would like to not only see the apartments and coffee shops, but also check out the walking trails that are available.

Thanks again. This is very helpful.
Camas would be best for that. Vancouver has some good trails but some are getting overrun by homeless encampments. As are some over in Portland. Camas is a bit further out so none of that....yet.

Camas Trails Map: https://www.cityofcamas.us/sites/def...railmap_hi.pdf

Old 10-10-2022, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Camas also has some of the best walking trails in and around Round Lake and Lacamas Lake. We go there often as a family.

It's going to really come down to how big of an area you want to live in and how urban it feels vs. a small town vibe. Camas is a very small town with a smallish downtown and lots of nice amenities 'for its size.' If you're ok with that small town vibe, it checks the other boxes. Only you can say if it fits what you're really looking for. I don't find the downtown that interesting or compelling to want to visit more than the few times we have. But if we lived there, maybe a bit more, perhaps. By contrast, Lacamas Lake is one of my favorites spots to recreate - paddle, hike, etc... It really comes down to personal interests. I don't antique, quilt, like fancy smelling soaps, candles or the other trinkets you'll find in many small downtowns like Camas. I've endured it for my wife's sake and that's about it until bored to tears. lol

Most of Vancouver is a huge sprawling suburb which is fine if you're ok with driving more than walking and lots of big box stores. It works for us as a family of five. But that doesn't sound like what you want. So, check out those other areas Texasdiver shows in above. Here is a link to the hiking trails in Camas. https://www.alltrails.com/explore/us...34148971666646

We also enjoying walking down by Wintler Park. But I'm not sure it has all those other things you're looking for (shops, etc...), probably not. Still, its a nice place to walk and check out the river. https://www.alltrails.com/explore/tr...enway-trail--2

Also, Waterfront Park is nice with more of the shops you're thinking of.
https://www.visitvancouverwa.com/thi...t-development/

In the end, Portland may be more what you're after. Though there are some cautions you'll need to take due to some of the social unrest in the more urban parts. It comes with its own societal issues. If you're young and 'hip' Vancouver may seem too slow for you or 'older' feeling even though we have lots of young people throughout. If you're somewhat older, it may be more to you're liking. Not saying it can't work for a young'ish' person. Portland does have more cultural event, concerts, art galleries, museums, botanical gardens, etc... All the things a larger city and cultural center brings. We're fine with driving over there for those things when we want to experience them. But you're apparently focused on walking more than anything. So, not sure what all of that really entails for an ideal location and environment. It honestly sounds a lot closer to where we moved from in Monterey CA. But that's a long way away and more $$ too.

Derek
I'm definitely not young and hip. But, I'm also not into soap and quilts. I just like coffee and coffee shops and like wandering around.

I love the area around Monterey. It's absolutely beautiful. And, unfortunately, totally unaffordable for me.

Yes, walking is the most important thing for me. More specifically, I really would like to have a walking trail walking distance from my apartment. I have a back injury, and walking is about the only exercise I can do. Driving is pretty much the worst thing for my back, and it's particularly bad to get in the car right after I've walked and hiked. So, that's why the key thing for apartment location is to be very close to good and safe walking trails. And I want to be able to enjoy the outdoors. (I know there's lots of rain and cloudy weather, but I'm okay with that. That's what brings the green!)

Old 10-10-2022, 11:21 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderingWhere11 View Post
I'm definitely not young and hip. But, I'm also not into soap and quilts. I just like coffee and coffee shops and like wandering around.

I love the area around Monterey. It's absolutely beautiful. And, unfortunately, totally unaffordable for me.

Yes, walking is the most important thing for me. More specifically, I really would like to have a walking trail walking distance from my apartment. I have a back injury, and walking is about the only exercise I can do. Driving is pretty much the worst thing for my back, and it's particularly bad to get in the car right after I've walked and hiked. So, that's why the key thing for apartment location is to be very close to good and safe walking trails. And I want to be able to enjoy the outdoors. (I know there's lots of rain and cloudy weather, but I'm okay with that. That's what brings the green!)
Camas is mostly residential homes though there 'might' be some apartments within walking distance from the best trails near the lakes. It's also on the higher end of neighborhoods due to their top school district which its most well known for. Many people who would like to live there for the schools can't really afford to. So, that will be a consideration from a housing perspective.

Closer to downtown Vancouver may have more apt. rental options which are 'somewhat' more affordable. There are also fewer hills than Camas which may be a good thing vs. not depending if you like to walk all those hills. Camas is very hilly especially between the lower downtown area where all the coffee shops are and the lake trails above. There's not as much to walk down below. It sorta that old town with shopping markets and the downtown - the original paper mill town layout with really old homes (think 1920s type stuff). Then, the hills which go up toward the 'newer' Camas by the lakes and woods. That can sometimes present a challenge when we get our rare snows and ice during winter.

The Monterey Bay is beautiful with amazing walking/biking trails all along the ocean. But yes, its crazy expensive for obvious reasons with those big ocean views and mild year round temps.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 10-10-2022 at 11:31 PM..

Old 10-11-2022, 09:21 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
For Vancouver, check out areas near or within ft Vancouver (they offer residential rentals) near downtown and very nice walking areas of waterfront parks and ft Vancouver historical site, + library, plenty of coffee, and Lupke senior center and Marshall recreation center.

For Camas look at rentals near Louis Bloch park, Safeway, Camas Police Station. This is near walking trails to Lacamas Lake and to next door Washougal.
Camas will likely stay very safe, as they have a very strong police dept, and social structure to keep it safe. Vancouver will be relatively safe, but has a lot of overflow pressure from Portland, and is doing a far better job of helping homeless+/-(so will attract more homeless).

If you need public transit, you can look to relocating near transit centers. IiRC, skamania County transit serves to Fisher Landing transit center (SE 164th ave and SR14). As a senior, you can commute to Columbia River Gorge hiking + Stevenson and White Salmon for $1-$2. Hit up the senior meal programs in 5 towns and you might never need to cook, and have a beautiful ride to great hiking and plenty of coffee. North Bonneville is a great place for walking (very flat). They also have a subsidized senior housing center, but it is a very sleepy town. (No grocery store). Very limited coffee, but nice cheap golfing and cafe. (Good use of $1 bus fare)

https://www.cityofvancouver.us/messenger

Hint: (Clark county / Vancouver)
Avenues run N-S,
Streets run E-W

Old 10-11-2022, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Camas is mostly residential homes though there 'might' be some apartments within walking distance from the best trails near the lakes. It's also on the higher end of neighborhoods due to their top school district which its most well known for. Many people who would like to live there for the schools can't really afford to. So, that will be a consideration from a housing perspective.

Closer to downtown Vancouver may have more apt. rental options which are 'somewhat' more affordable. There are also fewer hills than Camas which may be a good thing vs. not depending if you like to walk all those hills. Camas is very hilly especially between the lower downtown area where all the coffee shops are and the lake trails above. There's not as much to walk down below. It sorta that old town with shopping markets and the downtown - the original paper mill town layout with really old homes (think 1920s type stuff). Then, the hills which go up toward the 'newer' Camas by the lakes and woods. That can sometimes present a challenge when we get our rare snows and ice during winter.

The Monterey Bay is beautiful with amazing walking/biking trails all along the ocean. But yes, its crazy expensive for obvious reasons with those big ocean views and mild year round temps.

Derek
Yes. All the areas I circled above have lots of apartments including lots of newer ones except perhaps Camas which has some older apartments and a very few number of new ones.

The walkable parts of Vancouver and East Vancouver (in terms of access to shopping, coffee, etc.) aren't really close to any major trails. But you will have plenty of sidewalks so you can basically walk endlessly in any direction, just not so much on trails. The longer trails in Vancouver are a bit more suburban located so not particularly adjacent to apartments and other services like shopping.

Camas has the best trail network but is more single-family homes and less apartments. From what you describe, I suspect the best location might be the 192nd corridor which is more or less the dividing line between Vancouver and Camas (circled above in East Vancouver). There are lots of new apartments in that corridor and you are close to the Camas trails network. You also have an assortment of coffee shops and restaurants, although they are more car-centric than the downtown Camas area. Theoretically walkable but you will have to navigate huge parking lots.

The only new apartment complex I can think of in the downtown Camas area is the Clara at 6th and Birch in downtown Camas but it is a choice location so vacancies are probably rare as hen's teeth: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...68655312_zpid/

Old 10-12-2022, 01:29 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Camas apartments are most plentiful across from Police Station / old bowling alley (There are hundreds, fairly new)
Camas - Washougal Port is adding a 242 unit apartmenst on the waterfront (hiking trails) east to Washougal / Steigerwalt.
There are quite a few duplexes and fourplexs near Crown Park. (Tough walking home from Safeway / Downtown)

Older version apartments (1970-1990)across (south) from Louis Bloch Park and east towards Camas Police Dept.

You can link up to Vancouver pretty well with public buses. https://mail.c-tran.com/routes/92-camas-washougal
https://mail.c-tran.com/system-maps/...washougal-maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area