Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 01:09 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,523,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I feel your pain, but it's better than how it used to be. Yes the smokers have been pushed out into the streets, but it's better than walking into banks, grocery stores, department stores and having smoke and ashtrays around. Or the worse, was working at a desk job where the person near you smoked at their desk.

I'm not sure of the Vancouver stats, but only 14.9 percent of British Columbians smoke.
That's the crux of the matter in a nutshell. Inside forced exposure has gone off the books now so it is just the remaining indirect exposure that is to a large extent merely periphery in context remaining. This is one of those little compromises in life that separate the reluctantly tolerant from the rabid zealot anti-this or that person.

We have to accommodate to some extent those who were addicted during the peak popularity times of tobacco use where every free square inch of space held an ashtray. Where everywhere you went you saw the remnants of smoking in the form of filters laying on the ground that hadn't degraded to their former natural components yet and wouldn't for a month or two of weather.

This person needs to remind themselves of what it means to have an addiction and factor that into a mindset of Vancouverites among the first to foster needle exchanges and safe injection zones. How does one even begin to reconcile an illegal habit being tolerated to that extent but going over the top with something like obsessing over the smell of second hand smoke.

I'm having trouble attributing seriousness to this poster's position in light of the accommodation of his neighbours over a far worse life destroying addiction. Families experiencing the loss of a loved one through addiction to tobacco and a cancer perhaps cause by it or those who've lost a loved one to the addiction of a drug would not be able to assign a priority or value of pain but someone subjected to the mere smell of second hand smoke sure as hell should be able to differentiate to some degree.

It's an addiction pure and simple. Treat the availability instead of vilifying the addicted.

This too, will probably get consigned another infantile number by our resident whiner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 03:16 PM

870 posts, read 1,127,343 times
This whole thread is infantile, living in town anywhere second hand smoke should be way down your '' health hazard'' list ...off the list really unless your spread sheet stretches from Burnaby to Whitehorse even as far a threat to your respiratory function goes....car fumes cough smog herbicides/pesticides cough cough pollen lawnmowers smelters refineries and cough cough cough

Old 06-21-2014, 06:33 PM

173 posts, read 257,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
This whole thread is infantile, living in town anywhere second hand smoke should be way down your '' health hazard'' list ...off the list really unless your spread sheet stretches from Burnaby to Whitehorse even as far a threat to your respiratory function goes....car fumes cough smog herbicides/pesticides cough cough pollen lawnmowers smelters refineries and cough cough cough
Another tired argument trivializing cig smoke's health hazard, and bring up other unrelated bad things. Once again, this is considered a non sequitur argument fallacy.

You people seriously have a thick layer of fog in your sad little brains.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:04 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,235,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I feel your pain, but it's better than how it used to be. Yes the smokers have been pushed out into the streets, but it's better than walking into banks, grocery stores, department stores and having smoke and ashtrays around. Or the worse, was working at a desk job where the person near you smoked at their desk.

I'm not sure of the Vancouver stats, but only 14.9 percent of British Columbians smoke.
Meanwhile, pot use has climbed probably over 20 percent of British Columbians. This is a province of pot heads, not smokers.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:16 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,102,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post

Meanwhile, pot use has climbed probably over 20 percent of British Columbians. This is a province of pot heads, not smokers.
Uh oh - now the OP will probably start ranting about how tobacco is a gateway drug to pot smoking. Then want to get another drink.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:37 AM

I want you all to imagine a scenario for a few moments.

Let's just imagine there is a hyper-intelligent alien colony we discover.

They communicate with us, and find out that roughly a third of Earth's human population engages in ingesting something that contributes to not only their death, but which they spend a lot of time working to obtain, in full awareness that the substance is harming them with each use, as well as their friends, family, and even despite having personally experienced the death of humans closely connected with them that was mainly attributed to this substance.

They discover that when a small handful of the human population communicates with the rest and assert that they care about their existence, and feel that this pointless and harmful practice should at the very least be practiced in such a way that it brings no harm to those humans who actually desire to maintain their existence, the result is that the majority of humans:

1. Communicate in such a way that trivializes the harmfulness of that substance
2. Call them controlling because they desire to protect their life
3. Ignore the matter of the substance itself, and bring up various unrelated substances which also cause harm, but many of which actually serve a purpose

What do you all think that hyper-intelligent alien species would think of humans?

I think they would think we are daft fools.

And sadly, that is the case.

Like I said before, I think human-dominated Earth does resemble the picture illustrated in "Idiocracy" too closely.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:33 AM

870 posts, read 1,127,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersavina View Post

We already knew your imagination was running rampant

The hyper-smart group on here think you are a dumbass

Now go play in traffic and again cough cough cough

Old 06-22-2014, 04:35 AM

I highly doubt that a hyper-intelligent alien species would kill each other via inhaling and emitting a toxic substance--that serves no beneficial or useful purpose whatsoever--and allow themselves to be killed without stopping to think, hey, this isn't such a hyper-intelligent idea. Think about how ludicrous that sounds!

Sadly, y'all are nowhere near grasping the simple concept of self-preservation.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:46 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,102,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersavina View Post

They communicate with us, and find out that roughly a third of Earth's human population engages in ingesting something that contributes to not only their death, but which they spend a lot of time working to obtain, in full awareness that the substance is harming them with each use, as well as their friends, family, and even despite having personally experienced the death of humans closely connected with them that was mainly attributed to this substance.

They discover that when a small handful of the human population communicates with the rest and assert that they care about their existence, and feel that this pointless and harmful practice should at the very least be practiced in such a way that it brings no harm to those humans who actually desire to maintain their existence, the result is that the majority of humans:

1. Communicate in such a way that trivializes the harmfulness of that substance
2. Call them controlling because they desire to protect their life
3. Ignore the matter of the substance itself, and bring up various unrelated substances which also cause harm, but many of which actually serve a purpose

What do you all think that hyper-intelligent alien species would think of humans?

I think they would think we are daft fools.

And sadly, that is the case.

Like I said before, I think human-dominated Earth does resemble the picture illustrated in "Idiocracy" too closely.
As to numbers 1, 2 and 3 - that sounds exactly like the same reaction the aliens would get from all of the climate change denialists and the political, religious and/or firearms fanatics too.

As to humans discovering a colony of so-called hyper-intelligent aliens, you know what the humans would do about the aliens once they discovered them? First of all, humans wouldn't care less what the aliens thought about humans. The humans would tell them that they're not so hyper-intelligent after all, otherwise the aliens would never have let humans discover them. Then the humans would steal the aliens' technology then either give the aliens the heave-ho off their colony and give them their walking papers to a wasteland reservation somewhere on Mars or else they'd just outright slaughter the aliens. Then they'd take over the displaced aliens' colony, they'd pillage and clear cut the whole territory and drill, baby, drill !! while enjoying their smokes and booze and moralizing and thumping their holy books in one hand and shooting their pistols at politicians with the other hand. Then they'd go discover another colony and repeat.

Which just goes to show that humans really are all daft fools and all of your own moralizing and preaching at humans about their bad habits and poor conscience won't change human nature. That's just the way it is, that's how the cookie crumbles. So, as someone else already mentioned to you, you might as well suck it up buttercup and get used to it ...... or else move to an alien inhabited colony where there's no other humans and hope the aliens don't have worse bad habits of their own.

Last edited by Zoisite; 06-22-2014 at 04:55 AM..

Old 06-22-2014, 05:07 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,544,459 times
I'm surprised by how many people think nonsmokers should just deal with secondhand smoke. It's 2014 and this is a health risk that should be easily avoidable in public space, and that simply isn't debatable anymore. I understand it is an addiction, and smokers have my great sympathy in that regard, but it usually isn't a problem to slightly displace yourself somewhere more innocuous before you light up. Seems to me like a great many who smoke don't like the facts, get frustrated and point at things like car pollution and pollen as comparable irritants, as if these things make a *nonallergetic* person hack up a lung every time they go outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver