Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2019, 09:24 AM

6,725 posts, read 6,715,548 times

Advertisements

Just spent time in both, and have to say, the Seaplane between the two cities is definitely the best way to get to one from the other. Just an over an hour at 1,000 feet above the San Juan Islands, can't beat it.

Both are great cities. Have to give the edge to Seattle though because the business environment is far more advanced. Also has slightly better weather.

But it's funny how many Canadian tourists go to Vancouver and American tourists visit Seattle, both offer urban physical settings that you don't get elsewhere in either country. In both Canada and the U.S., the West is definitely best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2020, 08:36 PM

1,110 posts, read 895,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
I actually think that is a disadvantage. I wish US and Canada didn't have any borders.
Given the current state of affairs, you should thank your lucky stars that there IS a border....

Old 01-02-2020, 09:19 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Money laundering
Why??

Old 01-08-2020, 04:11 PM

35 posts, read 46,471 times
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...tate-1.5128769

An investigation by former Deputy Commissioner of the RCMP found large amounts of money being laundered in BC real estate, causing prices to go up.There is plenty of information out there on this, but little initiative being shown by local and provincial government to do anything.

Old 02-22-2020, 12:17 PM

79 posts, read 53,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr75 View Post
The topic is which city is better, of course Seattle's cultural options/contributions are relevant. Why would they not be? Cities are more than just collections of buildings with people in them. What those people create and where they do it is relevant. Most of those people I mentioned previously not only came from Seattle but created their art/music here.

Do you think people from Austin shouldn't point out their incredible live music scene when discussing their city?? because... "like, who cares about that stuff?" or someone from New Orleans their incredible food?

Of course it doesn't affect YOUR daily life, that's not the point, you're in Boston. I don't think your sitting there on the east coast dwelling on Seattle culture BUT if you were deciding on which city to visit or live in that might come into play.. and before you mention a zillion other cities that have culture, once again we're talking about Seattle and Vancouver here. That's..one more time.. Seattle and Vancouver
Good point.This is about the comparisons between Seattle and Vancouver 'culturally wise'. But I don't think bringing what famous musicians once dominated the music scene in Seattle throughout the years, adds up to being a *culture* one is dealing with in the here and now, while visiting or living in either city. It would be like saying that LA is the best city in the US because so many famous musicians and actors have impacted one's daily life while living there. You might bump into one downtown or while hiking, but how does this affect you 'culturally'? The museums, music clubs, historical buildings and history, etc. might, but the famous people don't.

I would not visit either Vancouver or Seattle for 'cultural reasons'. I lived in Seattle for 3 years and loved it. And I plan to visit Vancouver next year. But neither city has a list of cultural options to choose from. Just having Jimi Hendrix or Nirvana floating around inside your head while in Seattle is not going to help one find cultural places to immersed one's self with.

By the way, I lived in Seattle in the late 60's/early 70's. At that time, it struck me how FRIENDLY everyone was. It had a hippie vibe and every one and his brother was a musician. The sun would come out and transform everyone into joyous people. I know...Seattle received an influx of *others* and more business, making it a more successful city, but it is sad to read on here, that the people don't seem friendly to outsiders there.

Old 02-23-2020, 10:23 AM

942 posts, read 562,765 times
It's a wash. Vancouver is Seattle lite.

Up to you.

Old 02-24-2020, 02:01 PM

676 posts, read 647,173 times
Eh, I really wouldn't say so. They're quite distinct in amenities and flavor. Similar, but neither city is a "lite" of another.

Old 07-12-2020, 02:20 AM

72 posts, read 35,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaCritic View Post
Vancouver, because prostitution is legal in Canada. Here in the states, the government thinks it's their business to tell two adults they can't have sex if one of them is paying for it ...
1) Prostitution ISN'T legal in Canada. Not fully, at least.

2) The federal government of the US obviously doesn't think that, considering Nevada has fully legalized prostitution

Old 07-12-2020, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshansenbc View Post
The one thing that did catch me off guard in Downtown Seattle one time is how early things close, in Downtown Vancouver everything stays open quite late into the night - more of a european style.
God, the frequency with which everything desirable gets associated with "being European" on city data is just ridiculous, lol.

That's not "European style". Most European cities close earlier than most major American ones.

Old 07-12-2020, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
Seattle's light rail is awesome because you can take it all the way from downtown to the airport for $2.75--very cheap. Well, almost to the airport. For some reason they decided to stop it about a quarter mile from the terminal so all the riders can drag their luggage thru the parking garages for 20 minutes :-(

And it doesn't even approach rapid. Nearly all of the rail line is shared with cars and/or buses, so it gets stuck in traffic a lot too (especially the parts closer to downtown).

We are in the process of doing that. Just doing it really, really slow because our tunneling machine broke down and got stuck underground for over a year.

According to the latest report from Forbes, Vancouver has the second worst traffic in North America, trailing only Los Angeles. Seattle comes in at number 5 though, so traffic is nearly as bad down here and like you mention at least Vancouver has grade-separated rapid transit.

that tunnel has nothing to do with transit--it is a highway replacement. We are, actually, digging two other tunnels for transit (to expand that light rail line further north) and they are both ahead of schedule (an extremely long schedule, 10 years to extend a line 7 miles, 5 stations).

We do have a tram line though that is a year behind schedule because the tram car manufacturer screwed up all the orders. And a recent study shows that our other tram (the south lake union streetcar) has the worst on-time performance of any transit line in the country because it partially shares its rail line with street parking, so a badly parked or slightly large car totally takes it out of commission. Can't wait for the new tram line :-(

gonna have to disagree with you here. Hendrix, Nirvana, coffee, outdoor culture, HUGE concert events, Sir Mix-a-Lot, northwest seafood, Seahawks, Hating on David Stern, Hating on Californians, PAX, etc. Seattle has exported a lot of talent and always seems to have something going on. :-)
Seattle definitely has a vibrant cultural scene, including historic jazz clubs, grunge, and alternative rock, a notable garage rock scene, and notable record labels like Sub Pop.

As is the case with most American cities, I'd definitely say it's much more culturally unique than Vancouver
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver