Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 07:55 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,737,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Oh, I won't necessarily blame foreign investors for skyrocketing house prices in those cities. They've been known to be astronomically expensive since before the Chinese got rich. It's all about supply and demand.

You hear more complain about Vancouver but not about those cities because people in US have plenty of choices to live and find work with affordable housing + good weather. Not so in Canada.
in reality none of the American cities which are safe, urban, walkable and vibrant in the core is affordable. Sometime I say to myself houses in America are so cheap but on second thought I don't really want to live in any of those cheaper cities such as Houston, Atlanta, Phoenix or Philadelphia. Look at NYC, Boston, west LA, San Fran and the better part of Chicago or DC you get the idea. Seattle doesn't even have a subway so really not my type of ideal urban living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 08:13 PM

4 posts, read 4,472 times
Yes the Chinese are to blame. Don't construe that at racism either. It's more a culture problem. They can't just monopolize the entire city with their money. Canada needs to put its foot down.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:49 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,284,816 times
Well seems Vancouver and the Chinese increasing housing cost. Has made US news

Soaring Vancouver home prices spur anger toward Chinese buyers | New York Post

Saw it in the Yahoo home page.

Last edited by steeps; 07-09-2015 at 09:00 PM..

Old 07-09-2015, 10:18 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,309,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
everything in the Us is cheaper, why do we compare real estate in a different country? How does that ever make sense? Why not Norway or Monaco? Should the Chinese compare house price with Korea or India?
Botti, Vancouver is expensive even just related to Canada...that is the entire point. Yes you can find a way to spend less than the sensational price tags that make the news...that does not make things cheap or easily affordable anyway.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming899 View Post
Yes the Chinese are to blame. Don't construe that at racism either. It's more a culture problem. They can't just monopolize the entire city with their money. Canada needs to put its foot down.
How? I wonder how?

Unless Canada stops immigration. You can't continue to have immigrants but forbid them to come to Vancouver; Vancouver can't continue to accept immigrants just not the Chinese. It can't forbid immigrants to buy houses once they move to Vancouver. You can't say the Chinese can only buy a certain number of houses a month in Vancouver either, can you?

The thing is, the Chinese are buying a lot of the properties world wide, they are a major force in luxury product sales, the driving force of world tourism, and you want to reverse that trend, sure, but how?

Unless you put an end to the market capitalism, but I don't know how well that will go. The truth is, the US and China are the only two major countries that are doing well economically right now, and the Americans have no interest in buying expensive houses in a city with mediocre weather, nor do they have the cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Botti, Vancouver is expensive even just related to Canada...that is the entire point. Yes you can find a way to spend less than the sensational price tags that make the news...that does not make things cheap or easily affordable anyway.
I don't deny that, but every country has an expensive city. Was Vancouver affordable before the Chinese influx? I thought it was always the most expensive city in Canada. No, Vancouver is not affordable, neither is London, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Paris or even Mumbai. The solution? instead of complaining about those who buy, build more and increase the density.

Last edited by botticelli; 07-10-2015 at 07:25 AM..

Old 07-10-2015, 09:15 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,309,134 times
Quote:

I don't deny that, but every country has an expensive city. Was Vancouver affordable before the Chinese influx? I thought it was always the most expensive city in Canada. No, Vancouver is not affordable, neither is London, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Paris or even Mumbai. The solution? instead of complaining about those who buy, build more and increase the density.

We are going back to square one...Vancouver has always been more expensive than its economic weight would suggest because it has one of the mildest weather in Canada, it was already attractive to retirees and relatively well to do well before the "Asian wave"...it is one (of the many) factors that makes California desirable to live (for Americans) as well....Californians call the cost of living there "the sunshine tax".

Old 07-10-2015, 10:28 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,302,027 times
Quote:
for allowing immigrants in? Sure, feel free to.

It is a free market, people buy whatever they want to.
We should search for your sense of humour. You seem to have misplaced it.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:12 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,601,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming899 View Post

Money has no nationality and will flow anywhere it could where there is a safe haven and decent return. In today's world, Vancouver is a beautiful place in a stable country that it is open to immigrants so it is no wonder Asian money has flowed in and, yes, propped up real estate prices to a point where it is higher than it should be (a trend happening all over the world). Local middle-class people will bear the brunt unfortunately but "Chinese" people are not to blame per se. You or others would likely behave no differently if you had to deal with the same circumstances. Europeans came and settled in North America and they weren't there first inhabitants either. Besides, overpaying for housing is not breaking the law so you cannot blame individual people, blame the government and lobby the government if you can think of beneficial changes for all. If you want to curb immigration then locals need to procreate more to reach their replacement rate, otherwise immigrants are necessary to maintain the population. Would you rather have wealthy immigrants who bring money int he country and will integrate over the next generations or impoverished, uneducated farmers from rural China coming in droves? End of the day, Vancouver is probably the most Asian city outside of Asia and will eventually become majority Asian if current trends hold. And I don't see why they won't.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
We are going back to square one...Vancouver has always been more expensive than its economic weight would suggest because it has one of the mildest weather in Canada, it was already attractive to retirees and relatively well to do well before the "Asian wave"...it is one (of the many) factors that makes California desirable to live (for Americans) as well....Californians call the cost of living there "the sunshine tax".
then I guess blame the weather, not the Chinese

Old 07-10-2015, 05:39 PM

428 posts, read 451,529 times
Just ban Chinese immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver