Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 04:57 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,928,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian veteran View Post
You are revealing your ignorance once again. My commanding officer said something to the effect of "alright boys, you know what to say when the cameras are rolling". It's the same thing that I tell the men who serve under me. Anyone who has a basic understanding of our military knows this. It's just another want from the moral crusaders who have absolutely no concept of military strategy or morale, and could care less about our military's effectiveness. The military is not a hockey team, and when our morale isn't 100% we dont't just lose. People die (not that you would care about Canadians or our allies coming home in a coffin). I sincerely hope you enjoy living your cushioned life in Vancouver without having to a give a second thought to ISIS or any other group of fanatics who want you dead at this very moment.
There is no connection between protection of a nation and gays serving in the military.. It is a problem because you make it a problem. You could come up with all kinds of issues to support morale. Exclude women in combat roles to boost morale.. Exclude atheists from combat roles to boost morale.. Exclude Asians from combat roles to boost morale. Exclude - insertnameofgroup here to boost morale.

The fact is the military will have to deal with the laws of this land. It is NOT above the law and neither are you, your commanding officer or anyone else. I agree with Nat it is your problem that it impacts your morale.. Acceptance of gay rights in society is simply a given and members of the military are a cross section of our society. I'm not sure how old you are but your idea of morale seriously needs re-evaluating.

I have respect for the job any member of the military performs in their role to protect our country.. I don't respect bigoted views or connecting bigotry with morale whatsoever. Most Canadians don't either - whether its a latte sipping gay in Vancouver, or a straight father of two girls in Quebec. Sorry many but you need to change what you think of as morale and accept the rule of law! One thing has nothing to do with another and it is only an issue if YOU make it one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCassidy View Post
It's sad that you have such a pronounced hatred for the men and women who serve our country.
Let me ask you something Matt - would you support ANY outdated discriminatory practice simply because the military is 'off limits' in your estimation at least when it comes to the laws of the land? Do you support a rogue military that has its entirely own code of ethics, laws, values that are so outside our society and its laws that essentially it would be its own mechanism that has zero connection to us at all and has zero accountability? Is this the type of military you want in Canada?

Nat doesn't have a pronounced hatred for the men and women who serve at all - Nat is simply saying that just like our society, the military needs to respect the laws of our land and that the issue isn't gays serving openly, its an outdated and discriminatory code of exclusion that should have no part in our military!

Last edited by fusion2; 07-12-2015 at 05:09 PM..

Old 07-12-2015, 05:11 PM

170 posts, read 182,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Let me ask you something Matt - would you support ANY outdated discriminatory practice simply because the military is 'off limits' in your estimation at least when it comes to the laws of the land? Do you support a rogue military that has its entirely own code of ethics, laws, values that are so outside our society and its laws that essentially it would be its own mechanism that has zero connection to us at all and has zero accountability? Is this the type of military you want in Canada?

Nat doesn't have a pronounced hatred for the men and women who serve at all - Nat is simply saying that just like our society, the military needs to respect the laws of our land and that the issue isn't gays serving openly, its an outdated and discriminatory code of exclusion that should have no part in our military!
I support military professionals deciding what is best for the military, not a bunch of people who are generally anti-military and anti-Canada and have a loaded political agenda.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
I support military professionals deciding what is best for the military, not a bunch of people who are generally anti-military and anti-Canada and have a loaded political agenda.
Well I support civilian control of our military Matt... We have endless examples in history when a military has no accountability to the society it is sworn to protect, we all know what type of governance that is - can you say military dictatorships, military junta's etc.

I like how you are dodging the question though - should the military through whatever code it decides be allowed to exclude any group 'it' wants simply because it knows what is best in the name of what is considered prevailing 'morale'.. If that is the case which groups if any are off limits in terms of exclusion and which groups are fair game to include?

I also love the tactic you are using whereby you connect those of us in favour of a military respecting our laws as being 'anti' military... Great connection you've made there!

Old 07-12-2015, 05:21 PM

170 posts, read 182,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well I support civilian control of our military Matt... We have endless examples in history when a military has no accountability to the society it is sworn to protect, we all know what type of governance that is - military dictatorships, military junta's etc.

I like how you are dodging the question though - should the military through whatever code it decides be allowed to exclude any group 'it' wants simply because it knows what is best in the name of what is considered prevailing 'morale'.. If that is the case which groups if any are off limits in terms of exclusion?
I'll answer it for you: Yes the military should decide what is best for the military.

Now let me ask you a question:

Do you really think a bunch of political zealots like yourself and Natnasci who have absolutely no military experience or knowledge of what makes a military tick be deciding what is best for the military?

Hopefully you won't dodge the question and will answer it like I did for you. We could even branch this out into other fields - maybe the public should decide what scientists should do, what teachers should say, what businesses should sell....Stalin would approve of you guys.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:22 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,535,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
A quick trip to Google and it tells you this is hardly a Vancouver "problem" (Whether you view it as a problem or not is up to you)

NYC: China Real Estate Investment NYC | EB 5 Visa New York
Miami: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-0...ubble-bursting
Boston: China's Town: Big Chinese Buyers Are Sinking Their Cash into Boston Real Estate
Toronto: How Foreign Real Estate Investors Are Changing Canada's Skyline - Forbes
SF: ?6 reasons Chinese money is raining down on Bay Area real estate - San Francisco Business Times
London: China and Qatar buy London properties - Nov. 11, 2014

I think you get the drift. I have no idea why people come down on Vancouver so hard when it comes to this topic, when every major city is basically in the game.

Yes skyrocketing housing prices are a problem for the middle class and maybe Vancouver doesn't share the same robust economic conditions with many of these other cities. But seriously what are they supposed to do if foreign buyers want to invest in their city?
Exactly. This is an "issue" in many desirable real estate markets around the world: http://news.domain.com.au/domain/rea...18-13i7bz.html

They are currently getting the blame in most major Australian cities too.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
I'll answer it for you: Yes the military should decide what is best for the military.

Now let me ask you a question:

Do you really think a bunch of political zealots like yourself and Natnasci who have absolutely no military experience or knowledge of what makes a military tick be deciding what is best for the military?

Hopefully you won't dodge the question and will answer it like I did for you. We could even branch this out into other fields - maybe the public should decide what scientists should do, what teachers should say, what businesses should sell....Stalin would approve of you guys.
But you are dodging the question Matt.. You've entered into a slippery slope here where essentially you've advocated for a military in our nation that operates outside our laws, our values as a nation. You have advocated for a military that makes whatever decision it decides best for itself regardless of whether it conforms with the law. This 'rogue' group if you will, will decide what it believes is right and not what our democracy, our charter and the rule of law has decided what is right.

Its not a matter of political zealots - we all have our own agenda but we also have progressed to where we are as a society at this point in time. To roll back to a time where we exclude groups based on prejudice and discrimination well how far shall we go back.. So again I ask, which groups from society should be excluded from the military than. If you ran the show and you could decide what groups would the military exclude. What would I do? I would ensure the military follows the laws of our land and I sure as heck would get those who need it the psychological help some may clearly need because there is zero connection to an openly gay member of the service impacting their morale or the job they are expected to objectively perform whatsoever - that is simply nonsensical. That is the real issue here - what is the threat here of someone who is openly gay or should I say the perceived threat to service members?..

Last edited by fusion2; 07-12-2015 at 06:04 PM..

Old 07-12-2015, 06:03 PM

I opened up a thread in the general Canada forum to continue on this discussion

https://www.city-data.com/forum/canad...penly-our.html

Thought it best to move it to a more appropriate location!!

Old 07-13-2015, 12:08 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,319,732 times
This is why this forum is so entertaining...you never know where the discussion can lead to...

Modernrebel, I think you are confusing someone's sexuality with someone's strength (both physical and mental) to perform certain professions.

Do you know that there is an open (and very serious) historical debate about Alexander the Great sexual orientation right?? I hope you do not accuse him of not being an effective warrior.

When I was in the military there was one of my superiors that we suspected being a gay (and it turned out to be a gay) and he was a very effective and capable commander.

Going back on topic, I do believe in open immigration.....with rules. I do believe Canada handed too many fake business visas, from the Asian millionaire speculating on RE values in Vancouver to the cornerstone shop "owner" struggling to make ends meet.

Modernrebel however raised an interesting point...despite all the enthusiasm for even more immigration, the power levers especially of Canada, Australia and the UK, among high immigration English speaking countries, still remain comfortably in white hands.

Canada has a powerful moat to protect some professions, the infamous foreign qualification recognition issue. We welcome you with open hand....are you a doctor or an engineer?? Sorry no, but you can drive a cab.....

Old 07-13-2015, 03:39 PM

11 posts, read 15,772 times
Little shacks going for 2 million dollars in vancouver? Haha what a joke. Vancouver is just a little dumpy city of barely 6 hundred thousand and no significant enterprises or economy, why is realistate so expensive? It's not Toronto.

Last edited by Joyandlove; 07-13-2015 at 03:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver