Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2016, 11:13 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTPym5VHI4c
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 01:52 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
The show is a bit sensational and sort of like Housewives of Vancouver.
Living in Vancouver I know many people of Chinese origins. The ones I know, are just ordinary folk, working hard and being...well normal.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The show is a bit sensational and sort of like Housewives of Vancouver.
Living in Vancouver I know many people of Chinese origins. The ones I know, are just ordinary folk, working hard and being...well normal.
I have actually never seen the show. Did you watch the documentary?

Old 09-23-2016, 11:36 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
I think that rather than titling this thread an "interesting documentary about Chinese in Vancouver" it would have been better to title it an "interesting documentary about newly arrived nouveau riche Chinese mainlander investor immigrants to Vancouver".

The reason is because without an explanation the title sounds like it's about all Chinese people in Vancouver and the fact is that all Chinese people in Vancouver aren't like that. They aren't rich, they aren't investors, they aren't from China's mainland, they aren't trust fund children, they don't behave like spoiled jet-setters and they haven't effected real estate and the housing market in Vancouver. They're just ordinary hard working Canadian people like everyone else and they vastly out-number the investor immigrants that the reality documentary was about.

These nouveau riche trust fund mainlanders that were depicted are limited in number and are a fairly recent immigration development in Canada within the past 20 years. That Australian youtube documentary was produced for reality TV and the Vancouver trust-fund girls he was focusing on were acting their wealthy part for their reality TV show (which they have invested in) just like the wealthy women in all the other "housewives of (fill in the blank __________)" reality shows that are being produced about wealthy women all over the world (including Australia).

It's also 2 or 3 years out of date (I know because I watched in on TV a couple of years ago) and while it is true that some of these nouveau riche investor immigrants have made an undesirable impact on the real estate market in Vancouver, in the past year the federal and provincial governments have started making some changes and crack downs about investor immigrant policies and about investor immigrants who have been abusing the investor immigrant program.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:46 AM

Ok good point, but the documentary actually does cover all that though.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Ok good point, but the documentary actually does cover all that though.
Yes, my point though is that I think it's not good enough to just post a youtube video without a brief explanation of what and who it is really about. The thread title alone is rather misleading because it makes it sound like it's about ALL Chinese immigrants to Vancouver, and that simply is not true. I don't think it's a good idea to paint all Chinese with such a broad brush stroke as the producer of that sensationalized reality show has done.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Yes, my point though is that I think it's not good enough to just post a youtube video without a brief explanation of what and who it is really about. The thread title alone is rather misleading because it makes it sound like it's about ALL Chinese immigrants to Vancouver, and that simply is not true. I don't think it's a good idea to paint all Chinese with such a broad brush stroke as the producer of that sensationalized reality show has done.

Ok fine get the moderator to remove it.

Old 09-23-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post

Ok fine get the moderator to remove it.
What for?

Nah, let's leave it be. It's still an interesting video about a lifestyle that's different from the norm. I think since Nat and I have provided a bit more explanation it clears up a couple of grey areas about the Chinese investor situation as depicted in the video. Besides which, more people might still wish to view the video.

Old 10-08-2016, 10:39 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,558,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think that rather than titling this thread an "interesting documentary about Chinese in Vancouver" it would have been better to title it an "interesting documentary about newly arrived nouveau riche Chinese mainlander investor immigrants to Vancouver".

The reason is because without an explanation the title sounds like it's about all Chinese people in Vancouver and the fact is that all Chinese people in Vancouver aren't like that. They aren't rich, they aren't investors, they aren't from China's mainland, they aren't trust fund children, they don't behave like spoiled jet-setters and they haven't effected real estate and the housing market in Vancouver. They're just ordinary hard working Canadian people like everyone else and they vastly out-number the investor immigrants that the reality documentary was about.

These nouveau riche trust fund mainlanders that were depicted are limited in number and are a fairly recent immigration development in Canada within the past 20 years. That Australian youtube documentary was produced for reality TV and the Vancouver trust-fund girls he was focusing on were acting their wealthy part for their reality TV show (which they have invested in) just like the wealthy women in all the other "housewives of (fill in the blank __________)" reality shows that are being produced about wealthy women all over the world (including Australia).

It's also 2 or 3 years out of date (I know because I watched in on TV a couple of years ago) and while it is true that some of these nouveau riche investor immigrants have made an undesirable impact on the real estate market in Vancouver, in the past year the federal and provincial governments have started making some changes and crack downs about investor immigrant policies and about investor immigrants who have been abusing the investor immigrant program.

Don't make it sound like there aren't that many of the nouveau riche ones either. Just drive through Richmond anytime and you'll see that the number is substantial regardless of how many normal/poor ones there are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver