Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2018, 04:49 AM

55 posts, read 114,848 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,

Just visit (again) Whistler, for the wintersport, I just love Canada and there friendly people too.

For the next vacation, I would like to visit Vancouver Island, with my wife, thinking in may.
( so, this is not a wintersport :-) )

Is may the best time time to visit Vancouver Island, and after visiting some websites, what are the really must see/do things on this Island? (bear watching, cano, whales ... )

Thank you for you time / responding!

Kind regards, Greets from Rob / Holland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 06:31 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Google can tell you all the outdoorsy things to do, so I'll just tell you this: High tea at the Empress Hotel.

Victoria Afternoon Tea at The Fairmont Empress Resort Victoria, British Columbia - Dining & Restaura

Old 02-11-2018, 05:34 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Rob, how long do you plan to be here visiting when you go to the island? Do you plan to stay in one area or do you want to do and see as much as possible of the island? Will you be renting a car and driving yourselves around the island or will you be using public transportation? Knowing the length of visit and method of transportation will make it easier to advise you about things to do and places to go that you can conveniently access. How about you tell us some of the things you and your wife want to do/see and then some of us could tell you where are the best places to visit to do that. Like do you want to be mostly doing outdoors recreational activities in nature? or do you prefer touring towns, crafts fairs and gardens and going shopping and dining instead? or both?

May is lovely but can sometimes be a bit risky due to the possibility of late spring rains still happening and lasting for several days. Personally I find the best time to visit the island is in summer between late June to mid-September because by then it's a lot warmer and more comfortable outdoors where I want to spend most of my time. There's less rain (if any), there are more opportunities to spend doing touristy things outdoors and on the water (including swimming at beaches) and just generally more to do and see around the island. There are a lot of artisans on the island and at that time of year there are also more fairs, festivals, arts & crafts and farmers markets happening outdoors because of the drier weather and growing season.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:30 AM

Hi Zoisite,

Thank you for your response on my question(s).

We will land on Vancouver, stay there for a few days, thinking about for staying on Vancouver Island for 1 week or so?
We will have a rental (4wd) SUV, and it doesn't that we don't stay at one place, we likkepot travel around.

At this moment we have not a clue, were to stay, and for how long.
We do have a wishing list, which include; bear, whale watching, cougars...
We don't mind drive a long on this island, it is just us, probably still in good health too :-)

Thank you for your response again...!

Old 02-12-2018, 11:49 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times
I agree with Dawn regarding High Tea at The Empress Hotel.
Also, I would recommend a walk through Butchart Gardens. It's a beautiful place and very interesting, too.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:55 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,302,957 times
Yes, May is a little early for really warm weather, but all these three things are very easy to do at that time of year, not too much out in the weather and close to downtown:

1: High tea at the Empress
2. Royal British Columbia Museum - a must-see for all visitors. You will be bowled off your feet.
3. A visit to Butchart Gardens, even in the rain, can be lovely. They're set up for rainy weather.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:49 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
High Tea at the Empress Hotel: Victoria Afternoon Tea at The Fairmont Empress Resort Victoria, British Columbia - Dining & Restaura

Victoria Chinatown: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinatown,_Victoria

Butchart Gardens: The Butchart Gardens | Victoria BC Attractions | National Historic Site of Canada

Chemainus and its murals: https://muraltown.com/

Cathedral Grove: http://www.backyardnature.net/n/09/090920pq.jpg

Tofino and Pacific Rim Long Beach (galleries, whale watching and other wildlife): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tofino

Coombs Old Country Market Place: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coombs,_British_Columbia

Porty Hardy (whale watching, and maybe even bears, sea wolves and cougars): https://www.hellobc.com/port-hardy/t...-watching.aspx

If you decide to drive north from Nanaimo to Port Hardy be sure to drive on the Old Coast Highway along the coastline instead of taking the newer inland Highway. Driving along the eastern coastline you will see fabulous scenery, quaint villages and towns, artisans shops, and lush farms and valleys, gorgeous shorelines and beaches, lots of eagles and sea lions and other wildlife.

Last edited by Zoisite; 02-12-2018 at 01:06 PM..

Old 02-12-2018, 01:00 PM

676 posts, read 648,761 times
The later you can push it into the summer, the better. Drier and warmer at the end of May than at the beginning.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:34 AM

Thank you again for your posting and info!

Kind regards

Rob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver