Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 07:51 AM

701 posts, read 1,900,814 times

Advertisements

I think you question is wrong. rather you should ask "do you think it is annoying to see large concentration of Caucasian business in Vancouver".
In many parts of North America, the whites should gradually get used to the fact that they are a minority, or "visibly minority" if they prefer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 11:40 AM

19 posts, read 48,299 times
Default You sound like

either a racist [yes there are folks other than caucasians who are racist ] or someone with an inferiority complex. I am caucasian and surrounded by folks of every creed and colour. No different than when I was young and surounded by caucasians. A good neighbour is a good neighbour period. What does bother me is perceived racism where it doesnt exist.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:56 AM

701 posts, read 1,900,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeder View Post
either a racist [yes there are folks other than caucasians who are racist ] or someone with an inferiority complex. I am caucasian and surrounded by folks of every creed and colour. No different than when I was young and surounded by caucasians. A good neighbour is a good neighbour period. What does bother me is perceived racism where it doesnt exist.

It is a common misunderstanding that only whites discrimate other races. Racial discremination is actually quite prevalent in most Asian countries such as China, Japan and Korea. And unlike in north america, there is no such necessity to be "politically right" and such prejudice could be quite explicit in the mass media.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:05 PM

19 posts, read 48,299 times
Robynator. No I am not the same person who it seems posted on Rafe Mair. I got the story a few years ago I believe from the Vancouver Sun. As I recall it was a story on the HYLouie family. The Vancouver mayor at the time was Tom Alsbury. He defeated Rathie as I recall. I imagine the place to find it would be the archives of the Sun or its columnists.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:41 PM

2 posts, read 4,702 times
I originate from a cosmopolitan Asian country which is a melting pot of many mixed cultures, and multi-culturalism is a different concept there (nice salad blend of East + West outlooks) than what I see here.

Whoever coined the term "visible minorities" ... holy cow - that is a major (politically incorrect) patronising racial slur already.
Pray tell ... what happens to IN-visible minorities? They don a cloak like Harry Potter?

Vancouver may seem "cosmopolitan" but really dig deep into the facade of political correctness and you will realise that racism is still very much alive and kicking.

A lot of the multi-cultural thingys going in Vancouver - it is with a very WHITE-washed slant.
for eg, the public holidays and practices of Christmas, New Yr, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Easter .... etc - these are alien to some immigrants.

What about Chinese New Yr (Chinese - also Koreans and Japanese celebrate their own version of this), Diwali (Indians), Hari Raya (Muslims). Canada accepts these immigrants (and their money), make sure you make them feel at home too.

To me, it's NOT about shoving the white-culture and lifestyle down their throats.
Rather it should be about BLENDING different cultures together into a homogenous whole. Being inclusive.
Now that's SUCCESSFUL multi culturalism and intergration.
That's a melting pot Vancouver should strive for - it's more progressive. Otherwise all that results is segregation (and building resentment).

Teach new immigrants about the other cultures.
At the same time, educate and expose the existing population (white, and 1st-4th generation Asian and European immigrants) here (some amazingly insular in their thinking) about what is OUTSIDE of NAmerica - other religions (racial tolerance), other lifestyles, other cultures.

This will go a long way to make Vancouver more progressive.

@ kkgg7
Having said that ... yes reverse racism exists too - among the very traditional Asian cultures (China, Korea etc) . Some of these new immigrant folk don't even realise they're being racist. They are 'racisit' even among themselves (for eg Shanghai vs Beijing, or how Koreans often only marry within their own race).

And some of these folk have seen nothing else all their lives - even foods like cheese and pasta are alien to them.
How can they possibly understand for eg Western, Indian food, let alone want to step inside mini-India or mini Greece and Italy?

Then again, you get the very politically correct CBCs (Chinese or Asian born Canadians who are totally born and bred in Canada). With them, I am often horrified at the racist comments (against fellow Asians and other cultures they don't quite understand or are not exposed to) that come from their mouths too.

A lot of mutual ignorance prevails.

Last edited by rooftop oasis; 12-27-2009 at 04:03 PM..

Old 01-09-2010, 09:48 AM

88 posts, read 302,595 times
I find that compared to many other countries/cities in the world, Vancouver is much more progressive, open-minded, and sensitive when it comes to multi-culturalism. Of course it's not yet perfect and as stated in the post above, racism is still alive and kicking and we still have a long way to go, however, comparatively, Vancouver is very Asian-friendly and more politically correct and I think people (at least people around me) are proud of that.

For example, when I lived in France or when I worked in the UK, I was shocked by how it was totally different there. I'm Asian but growing up in Vancouver I often forgot that I looked different from my friends because I felt as "Canadian" as them and was treated thus. Yet when I was in Europe I was often reminded of the fact that I was different (for example, they love asking "what's your origin?").

I know that in the Netherlands racism is also a HUGE problem. Their insensitive attitude toward the Muslim immigrants is shocking to me.

In Richmond......
well it's mostly Asians (and mostly Chinese) and most Chinese people love how much they've created a new "home" that's both Canadian and Asian. My parents (first gen) love it. They love being able to enjoy a Canadian life (camping, hiking, taking advantage of the amazing nature, enjoying everything that Vancouver has to offer) but still enjoy good Chinese food, buy groceries that they are used to, and hang out with friends who understand and share a similar past (old life in Asia) as well as the present life in Canada.

I think most caucasians are comfortable with it (this is a massive generalization). But the huge concentration of Asian business in Richmond must be a little annoying though. Even I find it a little annoying and I'm Asian! Ok I'll confess, I hate going to Richmond because of that whole area. It's not that it's annoying because it's Asian. It's that it's annoying because the whole area is badly designed in terms of function and atrociously tasteless in terms of aesthetics. I'd be just as annoyed if it were Scandanavian. But it's mostly tucked away in Richmond so I think most people avoid that area if they don't want to be annoyed.

(But it does have amazing food. So we forgive it because it has great food. That seems to be the biggest redeeming quality for the Chinese. We can forgive the Chinese for everything for their food. Just as we can forgive the French/Italian for everything for their food, which also seems to be the biggest redeeming quality for them.)

But I also know a lot of caucasians who love shopping at Daiso because it's like Dollar Marts except the products have a MUUUCH higher quality. Like...Daiso is crazy. And it sells EVERYTHING. Literally EVVVERYTHING. I think the guy who owns Aberdeen center wants to create a new mall that targets ALL Vancouverites. So it will have stores we find in regular Canadian malls like Gap, Guess, the Body Shop, etc, but also has a lot of big Asian brands.

The MOST complaints I've heard about the Asian community in Vancouver is about the terrible Asian drivers. If Vancouver gets a penny every time someone utters "I hate Asian drivers" it'd be rich enough to buy the entire universe.

I don't blame them though. It's not a racist comment. I hate Richmond Asian drivers too cuz they can't drive for shxt. And they don't give a Fxck. Both my mom & dad are terrible Asian drivers and they just don't care. I don't know why middle-age/senior Asians suck at driving. It's probably a genetic defect. Nature works in mysterious ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver