Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 02:17 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times

Advertisements

I met a person online that lives in Vancouver and was greatly impressed with what she told me about Vancouver---I live in Atlanta, Ga, FYI and we were very busy in the weeks prior to the Centennial Games of '96--even though the Olympic Committee didn't feel that we achieved the Olympic goals set forth for 'world class' cities. LOL---we are rednecks here and didn't care that much what Monsieur Whomever thought. France--we have our own style in Atlanta and if you like it--move here or if you don't then leave. 'Don't let the door hit you where God split you'--some of us say that or think that all the time. LOL.

I'd love to hear what Vancouver is doing and how they will achieve each and every goal set forth ---I don't plan a visit to Vancouver during this period--but I do want to visit later on --when you have fully recovered.

The pins and Olympic related merchandise took about 2/3 years to be recycled or whatever ---stop seeing it everywhere. I have a good collection of pins--still need to do something with them. I loved the quilt/leaf design on the banners that were hung for Atlanta. I enjoyed hosting the World---some still complain that we should never have attempted this---I try to stay far away from people like that.

The person I met online from Vancouver was 'kewl', laid back--loved Jazz and going to interesting places there. I hope most of Vancouver is like that?

tia

TakeAhike from the Atlanta forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 03:17 AM

Anybody? No one knows if Vancouver is Ready for The Games. It is going to be 'embarassing' if it is time for The Games To Begin and someone has forgotten to bring a lighter to light the Torch. The Olympic Committee will not like that and they may say, 'Vancouver is worse that Atlanta' or something like that.

Then you will be 'upset' for a long, long, time--arguing about whether you should have ever thought of inviting 'The World'. We, in Atlanta, can still barely discuss The Games--strong opinions still about that. We are truly an 'Opinionated' city--love to express every opinion and sometimes become intense and even hostile while discussing issues. <shrug> You should hear the discussions on the Civil War, Racism and States' Rights--First Amendment allows each and every individual to express his/her opinion and those involved in professions that require legal counsel won't let you forget any Amendment.

Hopefully, Hosers are more laid back--colder climate--maybe that Helps?

Somebody say Something--Please.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:33 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Anybody? No one knows if Vancouver is Ready for The Games. It is going to be 'embarassing' if it is time for The Games To Begin and someone has forgotten to bring a lighter to light the Torch.......
LOL. Sure, we are ready for the games. The torch has already been lit and is presently being passed from hand to hand, travelling all over this great nation to visit over 1000 communities from sea to sea to sea. Check it out.

Torch relay route:
Olympic Torch Relay Interactive Map : Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics

Latest photos, daily highlights and stories from the road:
Olympic Torch Relay : Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics

Old 11-30-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
LOL. Sure, we are ready for the games. The torch has already been lit and is presently being passed from hand to hand, travelling all over this great nation to visit over 1000 communities from sea to sea to sea. Check it out.

Torch relay route:
Olympic Torch Relay Interactive Map : Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics

Latest photos, daily highlights and stories from the road:
Olympic Torch Relay : Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics

Zoisite --nice to meet ya--I was getting worried for you. I want to keep up with this. Already love Vancouver for having the Head Hoser of Lallybroch--a site where the writing of Diana Gabaldon is discussed with great passion and humor and by those who know these are the best books written in quite some time. The Outlander series--the story of Jamie and Claire, soulmates.

Fingers crossed the movie will finally be made so the whole world can become 'Outlandishly Obsessed'. Then it will be better--that is what the Ladies of Lallybroch believe at 'The Broch'. What an incredible person Judie Rouselle is. You are lucky to have such a person in Vancouver.

Let the Games Begin--they will be great I know. The down hill racers--the ice skaters--the snow boarding and all the other sports. Too cold for me--used to Atlanta weather---but you are Hosers and love the cold, eh?

see ya later

Old 11-30-2009, 04:22 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,445,308 times
Quote:
but you are Hosers and love the cold, eh?
Calling somebody from Vancouver a hoser is like calling a Texan a Yank. It's a term we don't really identify with... (but is likely more prominent out in Ontario).

And just as an aside, Vancouver's actually not all that famous for its cold temperatures. While it's colder than Atlanta, it's actually not much colder. Just looked up the temperature right now and it's currently 49 F in Atlanta and 45 F in Vancouver.

This is pretty normal winter temperatures and will probably not be much colder than that during the Olympics.

And back to the Olympics - Vancouver's been preparing for the Olympics for 7+ years now. The Canada Line is done. All the venues are done. The mascots have been dancing around for seemingly ever now.

If you want some local Vancouver insight on the Olympics, I find the Vancouver Sun has good coverage on their website.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post
Calling somebody from Vancouver a hoser is like calling a Texan a Yank. It's a term we don't really identify with... (but is likely more prominent out in Ontario).

And just as an aside, Vancouver's actually not all that famous for its cold temperatures. While it's colder than Atlanta, it's actually not much colder. Just looked up the temperature right now and it's currently 49 F in Atlanta and 45 F in Vancouver.

This is pretty normal winter temperatures and will probably not be much colder than that during the Olympics.

And back to the Olympics - Vancouver's been preparing for the Olympics for 7+ years now. The Canada Line is done. All the venues are done. The mascots have been dancing around for seemingly ever now.

If you want some local Vancouver insight on the Olympics, I find the Vancouver Sun has good coverage on their website.
How will get they get the snow then? When it is 49 degrees in Atlanta it doesn't snow. I do remember Judie saying that is more wet that cold in Vancouver--an island?

She lol'd and called herself a Hoser---watched SNL, IIRC--loved the 'Hosers' skit--Eh? She had a good sense a humor, I can tell you that.

In Atlanta--'Redneck' is a way of saying --'I'm a native, someone who has been in ATL for more than a few years'. Maybe it's just my area, near Emory but we don't seem to get offended easily. That is how Emory is 'liberal'---and most people that attend or work at Emory stay very focused on careers. Take time out to R&R---believe in health--physical, mental and emotional.

There are parts of metro Atlanta where people get offended very easily--but most of us don't seem to care. Sort of like that song--'A Boy Named Sue'---several decades ago that was pretty funny---it's still funny to me. Our neighborhood is gay friendly and nobody really talks about any sort of issues. We are neighborly and try to stay out of others' business. <shrug>

I will try the Vancouver Sun, spanx.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:09 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
How will get they get the snow then? When it is 49 degrees in Atlanta it doesn't snow.
Vancouver is the official host but the events will be happening in more than one location, spread out about 87 miles apart (Richmond, Vancouver, West Vancouver and Whistler), some events outdoors and up in the mountains, some indoors. There is already snow in the mountains now. The city of Vancouver is a sheltered sea-port city on the mainland and when it rains in Vancouver it snows up in the mountains - it's colder up there at the higher altitudes. When it's not raining or snowing then it's clearer and colder. Also, we have the technology and machinery for making ice and snow if required for any indoor or covered events.

Here's another link for you that explains about the different locations and the events that will take place at each of those locations. Vancouver 2010 Olympic Venues: Overview of the Winter Games Locations | Suite101.com

Quote:
I do remember Judie saying that is more wet that cold in Vancouver--an island?
The city of Vancouver is on the mainland http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouver_BC

and then there's Vancouver Island, (290 mi. long and 50 mi. wide) in the ocean, just a bit west of the mainland. The island does get more rain and is usually slightly warmer than Vancouver but it still snows on the mountains on the island. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouver_Island

Last edited by Zoisite; 12-01-2009 at 04:26 AM..

Old 12-01-2009, 08:04 AM

Thanks, Zoisite, this will help me get ready for the games.

What does your username mean--is that some Canuck term---I know it sounds 'French'--and the French are all over Canada. The only place I've visited in Canada is Montreal, a great city--preferred by Rachel Ray and I want to visit Montreal again--visited the World's Fair in '67--in August--like October in Atlanta--the most beautiful turqouise sky I've ever seen and the best crepes and onion soup--we were college students and stayed in a youth
hostel. good times in Canada

Old 12-01-2009, 08:39 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,311,498 times
The latest is the Olympic Pavillion which is to be located downtown Vancouver to house exhibits ..

Four years to get ready and we just put the bid out a couple of wks ago to build .. in just seventy days?!! This is the worst time of year to get any work done .. someone wasn't thinking very clearly.

Plus, the fact that the bid went to an American firm had many up in arms.

I wasn't in favour of the Olympics as I don't think this city is prepared financially, when so many are homeless, and hasn't helped with the economic decline.

Some areas of the province will benefit, but don't see the majority of the province getting much spin-off and yet it's costing all tax payers a lot of money.

And as always, budgets are getting over-run and new agendas costing money cropping up recently .. gee, what a surprise.

But since they ARE being held here, not trying to rain on anyone's parade .. instead trying to adopt the attitude of trying to make the best of the situation.

What does annoy me though, is the fact that almost half of BC's population wasn't in favour of the Olympics in the first place, and the news and politicians are in wonderment of the lack of rah, rah, rah.

And hearing weekly about all the extra funding needed here, there and everywhere .. and given no choice but to forge ahead and spend more tax-payer's money, it's nothing less than what I expected.

I would imagine the havoc is the same in every city where they're held, but a couple wks back they're blasting on the news that it isn't going to work .. the communication/transportation, of getting around the city .. unless .. ONE THIRD of the regular car traffic is reduced by car-pooling, buses, etc.

Also taking up parking places out front of businesses and eating establishments during the Olympics .. this could hurt many. Already so many merchants have had to fold and go out of business while the transit system along Cambie was being built, making it impossible for any cliental parking anywhere.

So while it may help some, it's also hurt many more.

Sorry for the downswing, but just don't feel this city was financially prepared and really tough luck that it happeded during such a stressful economic time.

Believe it or not, I'm not running around dissing it to everyone that comes across my path, .. but you did ask, and again, every city hosting the Olympics must run into all sorts of snags.

But not quite to the rah, rah, rah stage yet ..

I do hope that all that come to visit, do enjoy the games and city and time spent here. One thing in our favour, so far .. lots of snow on the mountains. Earliest in a long time.

I'm with you Takeahike .. better to see the place once all the hustle and bustle has died down, easier to get around, etc.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:20 AM

Omg--stone-ground--get ready to hear 'The Games were OK' whatever they say when They, the Imperial Olympic Committee isn't pleased or pray that some sort of miracle will occur.

If 'anything' goes Wrong--there will be years of 'Discussion'. I lived near the 'suspect' of the Centennial Park Bomb Incident--glad he was finally cleared --to have your home searched--records, computers seized and be 'Accused' of High Crimes and Misdemeanors is something no human should have to endure. Hope all the citizens of Vancouver will read about Richard Jewel and not let that happen to them. He really wanted to be involved in the Drama and Pageantry--just a 'little guy' and wanted to help the Cause.

It could have been me--that is how I am and I have been wrongly accused of lesser things which is something that a person never really forgets.

Be Ready in All Ways ---I wish you the best of Luck. I thought The Games brought some needed change and growth to Atlanta--a native and we needed to Do Something about Change and Growth--so we Did It as Best WE Could--'Atlanta will never be a world class city--that is what the newcomers say--look at Boston, NYC, Chicago, LA---Vancouver, Rio, etc---I just listen--It is a World Class City by Our Standards and that is Good Enough for the Natives' --No, we don't really care much what others think of Atlanta--it is Our Home and We Love and Understand It----That is how Vancouver should feel, too--no matter What --'They' say.

Ya'll come--if you know a native you will get the Southern Hospitality that we are Famous for--takes some time to Train the Newcomers but we work on them in the Atlanta forum--lol--each and every day. They will become 'Southern' enough to live here--by Atlanta standards. Helpful, kind and tolerant---'We'--all of us--all creeds, colors and beliefs want a good quality of life and believe me we have been working Cooperatively for about 100 + years now. Slavery was 'Wrong'--oh yes---King Center, Carter Center, Emory, GA Tech, Coca Cola---that is what the real PTB have always believed.

'Atlanta, GA--The City Too Busy To Hate'--Ivan Allen, Mayor of Atlanta--during the civil rights era of the 60's--city was burned once--no need to do it again--and we didn't. Peaceful means--yes, we do that--and we discuss the issues non violently. It is true. We have different ideas and yet have found ways to compromise or take turns--change priorities if need be.

I love Atlanta--been reading GWTW since I was thirteen. 'Scarlett', was a woman with a good heart for all of her imperfections. LOL---adjusting the feathers on my green hat and off to see Rhett again. We, Southern Women, do that--just go ask Rhett--if you can't do it by yourself. Southern Gentlemen of all kinds in Atlanta, GA. The South is a Fine Place to Live--regardless of what some may tell you. LOL---Scarlett also has to plough the back 40 on occasion--maybe I should do that today--but wait--'Tomorrow is Another Day...'

Later Gators
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver