Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2013, 12:50 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,214 times

Advertisements

All things considered, I hope, Vancouver will never have freeways going through it.

I absolutely love it the way it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 01:14 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberated in TO View Post
I agree with everything you said, and the thought of a freeway through Stanley Park is certainly not what I want.

What I have issue with is the idea that Vancouver's growing suburbs should not see any investment in road infrastructure because of the success of the planning model of the downtown core.

So Vancouver rejected freeways in the 60's? Great. However, that shouldn't impact the much needed expansion of projects like the Patullo or Massey Tunnel. Suburban communities have different needs, different demographics and their priorities should be treated as such.
Then we both are happy since I get my transit, The Evergreen line which is starting construction.

Evergreen Line - What's New

you get the Massey Tunnel upgrade which has started to be discussed

George Massey Tunnel Replacement Project

However the Pattullo Bridge is slowly being talked about more.

What

Old 03-25-2013, 01:39 PM

377 posts, read 1,695,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Then we both are happy since I get my transit, The Evergreen line which is starting construction.

Evergreen Line - What's New

you get the Massey Tunnel upgrade which has started to be discussed

George Massey Tunnel Replacement Project

However the Pattullo Bridge is slowly being talked about more.

What
An NDP government (which is looking very likely since Christy has self-destructed) has hinted the Massey Tunnel is not a priority. I'd be surprised if either crossing was significantly improved within the next 15-20 years.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
An NDP government (which is looking very likely since Christy has self-destructed) has hinted the Massey Tunnel is not a priority. I'd be surprised if either crossing was significantly improved within the next 15-20 years.
Hmmm. Perhaps, but as we say, " time will tell ".

Old 03-25-2013, 02:04 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Quote:
Maybe you'll get those light rail lines Diane Watts has been lobbying for instead. It's maybe not as ideal as getting your tunnel right away, but it'd take some cars off the road meaning a little less congestion then would otherwise be there.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:57 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
I just came back from Vancouver. The city is very urban, nice and safe, but the traffic is a nightmare. Also parking is almost non-existent or completely unaffordable ($6 per hour!). People who use cars as their main transportation have a really hard time. And a freeway does NOT divide any city. It does exactly what the sky train does. You just see a bridge over the road.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:20 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
I Also parking is almost non-existent or completely unaffordable ($6 per hour!). People who use cars as their main transportation have a really hard time.
If you are talking about downtown, that's pretty much the goal - to discourage the use of private automobiles so that people can actually enjoy the city more. That's the best thing about Vancouver - that the streets are not dominated by passing vehicles.

Those who "used cars as their main transportation" should think twice before visiting a real city. The car is such a suburban mall and plaza kind of thing. Would you consider driving your car on the streets of Manhattan?

The only vehicles that run on downtown streets should be cabs and delivery trucks. Cars ruin cities all the time.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I just came back from Vancouver. The city is very urban, nice and safe, but the traffic is a nightmare. Also parking is almost non-existent or completely unaffordable ($6 per hour!). People who use cars as their main transportation have a really hard time. And a freeway does NOT divide any city. It does exactly what the sky train does. You just see a bridge over the road.
I haven't parked in downtown Seattle for a few years, but I don't remember it being cheap. I did find online parking at Pike Place that appears cheap at $3.00 per hour and the early bird deals seem good.

Pike Place Market - Parking

However I also found parking at 721 1st Ave that is more expensive at $ 7.00 per hour.

Seattle Parking Coupons | Central Parking Seattle > 721 1st Avenue

Do you know why such a jump in the 2nd lot?

In Vancouver a lot of the lots are run by EasyPark and I just chose one random lot downtown and the prices are $1.75 per half hour, or $3.50 per hour.

Parking Downtown Vancouver, Lot 34 - 872 Richards St, EasyPark

The most expensive one I found is in Pacific Centre at $3.25 per half hour.

Parking Downtown Vancouver, Lot 9 - Pacific Centre (Spans 3 Blocks), EasyPark

All these prices also have maximums and and after hours pricing as well. I don't see many early bird specials though.

I guess it depends on how well one knows a city and where to find affordable parking. As you can see by the links there are plenty of lots downtown and people who don't live downtown, but park downtown go for the monthly rates, not the per hour ones or park, bus or walk to a Skytrain station and come in that way, or take the Westcoast Express.

As for freeways not dividing a city, we are going to have to agree to disagree. Under the Skytrain's elevated parts you can have parks, bikeways and community gardens. All which exist under certain parts of the Skytrain. Also the elevated double track for the Skytrain is nowhere near as wide as a six lane freeway.Most freeways, like the one bisecting Seattle need overpasses over the freeway to get to the other side. There is a distinct feeling, especially for pedestrians, of being jarred somehow by the sudden concrete harshness of a freeway when crossing from one neighbourhood to the next. It just doesn't flow nicely.

Last edited by Natnasci; 03-27-2013 at 01:56 PM..

Old 03-27-2013, 01:46 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
That's the best thing about Vancouver - that the streets are not dominated by passing vehicles.
I also said traffic is a nightmare, so I don't know what "the streets are not dominated by passing vehicles" means.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:12 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
I also said traffic is a nightmare, so I don't know what "the streets are not dominated by passing vehicles" means.
wouldn't it be even worse if car use is not discouraged in that case?
high parking charges and lack of parking space at least mitigated such risks, if not solved the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver