Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 10:28 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
For me, there was just a great sense of relief to not have to pretend I didn't know where my meal had originated .....
^^^^ This.

The flipside is that I don't enjoy going to other people's houses for Thanksgiving. Knowing what kind of life the turkey had and watching them gorge on it turns my stomach.

I guess you could say I don't have a lot of patience for gluttony when it involves meat. Sounds holier-than-thou, but there it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 10:39 AM

947 posts, read 3,409,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
^^^^ This.

The flipside is that I don't enjoy going to other people's houses for Thanksgiving. Knowing what kind of life the turkey had and watching them gorge on it turns my stomach.

I guess you could say I don't have a lot of patience for gluttony when it involves meat. Sounds holier-than-thou, but there it is.

i am right there with you on this.

for me, it does not make sense, i don't "fit in" with others that chew on dead animals.

i am not thankful for the horrible life that the turkeys lived (most of them that were factory farmed raised, of course, not to step on anyones toes, there are some farms that "say" they "humanely" raise ... but ... )

i am thank full and grateful for life!

So, yes since i allowed myself to become aware of other creatures that we share this earth with, ... how "we" treat them (for the most part, in unnatural, terrifying ways)
specifically the animals that "we" eat- that are raised for foods...
... I have only become more and more open, alert and aware of living compassionately ...
and others around me will know info if they are interested in learning and i will share...
i also always am educating myself, write letters sometimes- tho not as often as i would like...

as for health... i am not always eating the healthiest way... even as vegan ... doesn't mean that you can't over do it on sweets... etc!

but i am strong and healthy weight...

And most of All, feel great about myself... and I am at peace knowing that no animal died for me so i could take their flesh... no animal lived for me so i could take their milk or eggs...

i know ... it is not right for me to do so when ... now a days... there is sooo much food available no need for me to eat animals/by-products

Old 11-26-2010, 03:09 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
I am already thin so I don't need to lose any more weight...if anything I could stand to gain 5-10 lbs so my pants aren't fitting looser. My food costs are a bit up because I'm trying out a lot of new foods but I expect them to go back down as I find new things I like and kind of "settle" into the lifestyle. I still buy meat because my live-in BF is not vegetarian and has no desire to be.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:26 PM

442 posts, read 1,296,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
I've felt more a sense of inner peace and calm, perhaps because I'm no longer ingesting fear and death. There is also something to be said for being happier when your actions match your values.
i feel like that too

as to the person who said they had one drink and it was poison..lol i still have a few drinks i dont see that as a problem

Old 11-28-2010, 05:28 PM

947 posts, read 3,409,000 times
Xpat,
you put it So simply! to the point and True!

At peace...
my choices, now, are not causing fear, pain, ... etc... and death
to other creatures.

*although as I write this, ... hmmm... It is really hard to be sure unless we grow and prepare and cook... everything ourselves, that there is not any harm to any other creature, be it human or animal...

even by, well, say, buying a bag of rice (just throwing this out there, as it pops in my head!), maybe, indirectly we harming animals, around rice field because we (rice) are taking part of land that they would live on...

Phew, don't know where this came from!... but, seems that we can just never be sure...
I do look at where things are from/made...
fair trade, organic...
but things of that sort although should be the standard, that they are not and are more costly.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:36 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,003 times
I feel better that I am not contributing to more suffering in the world by eating the tortured carcasses of factory farmed animals.... or any other animals for that matter. I subscribe to the "Do what you want with your life, as long as you don't hurt other living beings" and a veggie lifestyle fits this perfectly. I can't imagine living any other way.

forum rules, please read them

Old 11-28-2010, 08:09 PM

784 posts, read 3,120,866 times
I have been a lacto vegetarian with vegan leanings for almost twenty years. I also meditate. The two have made me much calmer. When researching online for some reason for the effect of meat on the mind I found this, written by Charles Fillmore, the founder of Unity Church:
Charles Fillmore and Spiritual Vegetarianism

I'd be interested if anyone can direct me to other such online sources on the topic.

-- "As to Meat Eating," October, 1903

Again, it is proven by experiment that certain negative states of consciousness peculiar to the animal accompany its flesh in all its journeys through the body of-man. All the upbuilding life goes out with the soul of the animal when it gives up its body, but the fears, the violence, the ignorance, the anger, the lust, and all that pertains to the error side of consciousness hovers around the dead cells.

Moderator cut: Due to the possibility of copyright violation, please post a link and a "snippet" only as per the Terms of Service.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-28-2010 at 08:21 PM..

Old 12-16-2010, 10:46 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,935,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1 View Post
How have you changed?
I still eat meat/processed food, but I've managed to cut my consumption substantially without really missing it. My reduced consumption has affected me in the following ways:

1. More energy.
2. Sleep better.
3. Feeling of fullness and satisfaction after a meal that fast food never provided.
4. More frequent bowel movement (plus doesn't stink).
5. No bloating and excess gas.
6. Less overall joint pain.
7. Greater overall health consciousness.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:34 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,175,680 times
This describes me, too, mostly....not a true vegitarian but eating very little meat...I don't really miss it either...

Quote:
I still eat meat/processed food, but I've managed to cut my consumption substantially without really missing it. My reduced consumption has affected me in the following ways:

1. More energy.
2. Sleep better.
3. Feeling of fullness and satisfaction after a meal that fast food never provided.
4. More frequent bowel movement (plus doesn't stink).
5. No bloating and excess gas.
6. Less overall joint pain.
7. Greater overall health consciousness.
...definelty agree on the more energy part and the feeling of satisfaction. I feel...lighter somehow...well I am lighter, but I dont feel bloated/tired/"heavy" the way I used to when I ate lots of meat....

Old 01-03-2011, 02:56 AM

323 posts, read 529,047 times
Some of you may think this is weird, but besides what's been listed -there has also been data/reports that confirm that your sexual bodily fluids are affected - taste-smell-potency-etc - I find it to be true from my experience -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food