Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2011, 03:24 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times

Advertisements

My opthamologist wants me to eat lots of kale to prevent lutein deficiency and macular degeneration. I know about kale chips and bubble-and-squeak, but what are some other tasty ways to fix kale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 07:18 AM

3 posts, read 4,625 times
i use it in smoothies

Old 02-02-2011, 02:48 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,592,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organicvegan View Post
i use it in smoothies
great advice. the taste gets hidden!

Old 02-02-2011, 02:56 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
great advice. the taste gets hidden!
Just google "green smoothie" and chances are, it will be in the ingredients. Check out.... Raw Family - Victoria, Sergei and Valya Boutenko - Raw Food Diet for some awesome green smoothie recipes.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-03-2011, 04:59 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,285,858 times
Default This is sublime - found it online

KALE AND SWEET POTATO CARIBBEAN SOUP

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 to 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
3-6 cloves garlic, pressed
1-2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger root
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1-2 teaspoons ground turmeric
1Tbsp + 1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground dried thyme
6 cups vegetable stock
2 cups diced peeled sweet potatoes
3-4 cups (about 200g) finely chopped fresh kale
1 cup coconut milk
2 cups fresh or canned chopped tomatoes
1-2 cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons lime juice, or to taste

Directions
Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion, garlic, and ginger; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle in the allspice, turmeric, coriander, and thyme; cook 1 minute longer.

Add the vegetable stock, sweet potatoes and kale and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 15-20 minutes. Add the canned tomatoes and black beans. When the temperature is back up to a simmer, stir in the coconut milk, then add the lime juice. Taste, then add salt and pepper to taste.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:31 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post

1 Tbsp olive oil
6 cups vegetable stock
1 cup coconut milk

Directions
Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion, garlic, and ginger; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle in the allspice, turmeric, coriander, and thyme; cook 1 minute longer.

Add the vegetable stock, sweet potatoes and kale and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 15-20 minutes. Add the canned tomatoes and black beans. When the temperature is back up to a simmer, stir in the coconut milk, then add the lime juice. Taste, then add salt and pepper to taste.
oh gee. Only 3 - 6 cloves of garlic... Is that ALL???? oh hell, let's put in 15 cloves!

Can you tell that I hate the stuff? Why is it in the world today, you cannot find a recipe for anything without garlic in it? I swear, soon it is going to be in cake frosting.

20yrsinBranson
garlic hater

Old 02-04-2011, 02:13 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,285,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
oh gee. Only 3 - 6 cloves of garlic... Is that ALL???? oh hell, let's put in 15 cloves!

Can you tell that I hate the stuff? Why is it in the world today, you cannot find a recipe for anything without garlic in it? I swear, soon it is going to be in cake frosting.

20yrsinBranson
garlic hater
LOL Well that's the wonderful thing about soup - it is VERY difficult to mess it up! If you don't like garlic, don't put in any - the recipe will still be great as there are so many other lovely flavours.

I typically add way more vegetable stock and about 500 grams (about a pound) of kale as well.

Last edited by sunshineleith; 02-04-2011 at 02:19 AM.. Reason: Added picture

Old 02-04-2011, 02:26 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
I could never stand cooked carrots. So in recipes where I see it, i leave it out. Whenever i get recipes online, I just leave out the ingredients that I don't want and add others.
Luckily for me, I love garlic. It helps to keep the vampire's away as well.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:57 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,904,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
My opthamologist wants me to eat lots of kale to prevent lutein deficiency and macular degeneration. I know about kale chips and bubble-and-squeak, but what are some other tasty ways to fix kale?
what are kale chips and bubble and squeak?? never heard of them

Old 02-21-2011, 07:01 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,904,087 times
thank you I can't wait to make this....I can tell my daughter will love it
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post

1 Tbsp olive oil
6 cups vegetable stock
1 cup coconut milk

Directions

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food