Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 08:57 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,864,680 times

Advertisements

I always try my best to avoid fast food restaurants, but sometimes when we travel the choices are limited. Several of my coworkers are vegan or vegetarian, and sometimes Taco Bell is the best of the available choices. Their policy is to offer "vegetarian option" for anything on the menu. Apparently some of the employees didn't get that memo, because sometimes they don't understand.

I ordered a meal, asking that they sub beans for beef, vegetarian option. The kid at the register didn't understand, so he went back to get the manager. The manager said he could do that if I would pay for both the beef and the beans. He said that subbing beans for beef messes up his inventory.

I told him that I wasn't actually getting the beef, only the beans, and he said that I still needed to pay for the beef on each item, and pay for beans too. He said, "Why would I give you something that you aren't paying for?"

He then picked up a package of cinnamon crisps and handed it to me, and said that he would give me those for free but I still had to pay for the beef.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 10:52 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,061,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I always try my best to avoid fast food restaurants, but sometimes when we travel the choices are limited. Several of my coworkers are vegan or vegetarian, and sometimes Taco Bell is the best of the available choices. Their policy is to offer "vegetarian option" for anything on the menu. Apparently some of the employees didn't get that memo, because sometimes they don't understand.

I ordered a meal, asking that they sub beans for beef, vegetarian option. The kid at the register didn't understand, so he went back to get the manager. The manager said he could do that if I would pay for both the beef and the beans. He said that subbing beans for beef messes up his inventory.

I told him that I wasn't actually getting the beef, only the beans, and he said that I still needed to pay for the beef on each item, and pay for beans too. He said, "Why would I give you something that you aren't paying for?"

He then picked up a package of cinnamon crisps and handed it to me, and said that he would give me those for free but I still had to pay for the beef.
It messes up his inventory????

That's the most ridiculous reason I've ever heard.

If I were a vegetarian, I would have told him, "Yeah? Well, your way messes up my ETHICS!"

But of course he wouldn't have understood that.

ETA: It's interesting... I'm not even a vegetarian (although I really should be... and want to be) but these stories get me SO riled up.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:01 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,864,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
It messes up his inventory????

That's the most ridiculous reason I've ever heard.

If I were a vegetarian, I would have told him, "Yeah? Well, your way messes up my ETHICS!"

But of course he wouldn't have understood that.

ETA: It's interesting... I'm not even a vegetarian (although I really should be... and want to be) but these stories get me SO riled up.

Sometimes you just have to laugh.....

I might have mentioned this one before but at a Taco Bell in Indiana I ordered a couple of meals to go, I said sub beans for meat in everything. When I took the meals back to the hotel we found out that everything had chicken inside. I went back and told the cashier that I had requested no meat, she opened a burrito and said, "Oh honey, that's not meat, it's chicken, I thought that is what you wanted, you said no meat...."

Old 06-18-2012, 11:23 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,500,296 times
There are not that many vegetarians etc. to make it justifiable to cater to.
More money in dealing with meat eaters.

Most large buffets have large salad bars and
you can make your own salad very easily with all that they have.

Vegetarians etc. have to many variations and
different desires in their salads, which take to
much time to prepare separately to make it cost efective.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:36 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,500,296 times
Quote:
Sometimes you just have to laugh.....

I might have mentioned this one before but at a Taco Bell in Indiana I ordered a couple of meals to go, I said sub beans for meat in everything. When I took the meals back to the hotel we found out that everything had chicken inside. I went back and told the cashier that I had requested no meat, she opened a burrito and said, "Oh honey, that's not meat, it's chicken, I thought that is what you wanted, you said no meat...."
Many people think fish is not meat either.

I myself do not believe there are that many true Vegetarians etc. either.

If Vegetarians etc. also eat fruits, and nuts, and herbs, etc. then
they could only truly say I am not a meat eater.

Because a true a true Vegetarians etc.
would eat only vegetables and nothing ! ! !

A true meat eater would only eat meat and nothing else.

I myself am a true food eater of my choice ...
maybe even a bug or dog, cat or horse, monkey,
ramps, sauerkraut, lizard, and grease ... but I don't like hominy ! ! !

Old 06-18-2012, 11:56 AM

24,130 posts, read 32,525,265 times
Quote:

Taco Bell isn't bad in a pinch. My vegan son loves it!

I don't boycott any place because they serve meat - in fact, it is my goal to make vegetarian options more accessible and normative to average people.

Purchasing veg products at mainstream places shows support and demonstrates that we are NOT some marginalized, lunatic fringe, but a powerful economic force.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:25 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,871,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Taco Bell isn't bad in a pinch. My vegan son loves it!

I don't boycott any place because they serve meat - in fact, it is my goal to make vegetarian options more accessible and normative to average people.

Purchasing veg products at mainstream places shows support and demonstrates that we are NOT some marginalized, lunatic fringe, but a powerful economic force.
Likewise. With a non-Vegetarian husband, when we dine out we want to cater to both our needs. Also, I don't think I've ever received any backlash / funny looks from Waiters and Servers over the years when I've asked them to hold the meat on a dish, or ordered 3 or 4 vegetable sides and asked them to serve it as a main.

Thankfully, I think requests like this are becoming more 'mainstream'.

Years ago, I used to always order a 'Veggie Burger' or 'Portobello Burger' if the restaurant had one; but got sick of this being my staple meal at most restaurants so got into the habit of just asking them to amend or combine dishes already on the menu to suit me.

Personally, I'm still not a fan of chain restaurants though. I prefer places that are unique, although concede that chains are unavoidable from time to time. With that said however, my favorite chain is P.F. Changs- they have a LOT of yummy vegetarian-friendly dishes on their menu!

Whenever we go to P.F. Changs, DH lets me order everything- all of their dishes are so good and so filling he doesn't even miss or need the meat

Old 06-26-2012, 02:21 AM

941 posts, read 1,805,640 times
I saw a commercial last week..
for a limited time you can view Reboot your life for free:
Reboot Your Life
a guy goes vegetarian and helps others along the way.. loses a lot of weight, and takes videos
of his year long journey to health. A wonderful film!!!!
Tell me what you think?

Old 07-04-2012, 10:47 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,390,383 times
Interesting...we went to several restaurants that had tofu as an option...or portabella mushrooms...

Old 07-04-2012, 03:48 PM

32,957 posts, read 36,419,326 times
Stopped by a place the other day that had a portabella "burger" on the menu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food