Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 08:35 PM

680 posts, read 535,748 times

Advertisements

Anyone watch it? What are your thoughts? My wife and I watched it 13 months ago and decided to go vegan(whole food plant based). I lost 30lbs, and feel great. Dr. Esselstyn actually called my mother in law and encouraged her to clean her diet up, she and my wife lost weight. Did gain a little back because I was eating more processed foods, I work 12hr shifts and it's hard to food prep sometimes. Also, injured myself and haven't been working out as much lately. We plan on sticking to this long term. We eat more fruits and veggies, whole grains, legumes, a little bit of nuts/seeds. No oil, or alcohol, added sugar. Supplement with D3, B12.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 10:00 PM

337 posts, read 311,484 times
Hey, good for you. It does take discipline and planning ahead. But that is just the way it goes when you eat real food. I watched it maybe three years ago, after reading The China Study.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:14 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
Yes, I was looking for healthy alternatives to the many medications I was taking - statins, high blood pressure meds, reflux meds - and saw this documentary. I then did more research and decided to try a vegan diet. I've been vegan for over a year now, and am off all meds. I feel a million times better, with more energy, better mental health, my memory has improved tremendously (was beginning to worry about Altzheimer's). The difference in how I look and feel, both physically and mentally, is tremendous.

So, I'm personally sold on eating this way - whole food, plant based, no oil.

I will very occasionally blow my diet in a very small way - like having one chocolate treat today that came from Brazil while having lunch with friends from Brazil - and it was a special treat a friend had flown with them from Brazil. I don't ever eat meat, but I will, very occasionally, eat something that might contain eggs or milk. But, I'm talking about having one bite of something - at most once a week.

As far as my medical changed, my blood pressure is now normal, I have no more issues with reflux, and I feel so much better going off of statins. My cholesterol is still high, but that appears to be genetic, and since my memory has improved tremendously since I went off of the statins, and I don't have any heart disease, I'm guessing that the cholesterol in my body is only being created by my own body, and that it's actually helping to heal my mind and body.

Cholesterol is only put into our bodies by meat products - or - it's produced by our own bodies. I think that if my body is producing a lot of cholesterol, that my body must need it. And cholesterol is necessary for good brain function and for cells, etc. So, if my cholesterol, that is only being produced by my own body, is high, and my memory has improved tremendously, my overall health has improved tremendously, etc., then I think the cholesterol produced by my own body can't be a bad thing.

I think the medical profession still doesn't really understand cholesterol. But, it's very much in the interest of big pharm to find studies that say that high cholesterol is bad for us - so they can sell us statins, which is the most widely prescribed drug in the world, as I recall.

So, believing them, and the doctors who they have convinced to tell us we need to take this drug, doesn't serve us well. I'd rather use my own mind and logic. if I feel and look a million times better without their statin drug, even though my cholesterol is high on a vegan diet -- then I think their results from their research regarding cholesterol levels and health - is wrong.

Old 09-25-2018, 05:32 AM

I'm 32 and was taking blood pressure medicine. Now I don't take anything but vitamins and turmeric. For years I had a bodybuilder mentality where I had to eat meat, and plenty of protein. I thought meat and dairy was a requirement. Found out it's not and I feel better now. I work at a hospital, and occasionally in the ICU where they do open heart surgery. The surgeon there recommends a plant based diet to his patients.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
I'm 32 and was taking blood pressure medicine. Now I don't take anything but vitamins and turmeric. For years I had a bodybuilder mentality where I had to eat meat, and plenty of protein. I thought meat and dairy was a requirement. Found out it's not and I feel better now. I work at a hospital, and occasionally in the ICU where they do open heart surgery. The surgeon there recommends a plant based diet to his patients.
This is really interesting - that surgeons are recommending plant based diets. There is a lot of research regarding how a plant based diet can reverse heart disease.

I don't have heart disease, but I wanted to get off of statins and other drugs for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc., and just changing my diet has fixed these problems overall.

The main thing, though, is that I feel a million times better, being off of the medications - and changing my diet to a vegan diet. The change is really remarkable. I was beginning to have memory issues, and those are gone. I just look and feel so much better that it's really a miracle.

I don't try to convert anyone. But, if anyone is interested, I can say that this diet has changed my life tremendously.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:51 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
Anyone watch it? What are your thoughts? My wife and I watched it 13 months ago and decided to go vegan(whole food plant based). I lost 30lbs, and feel great. Dr. Esselstyn actually called my mother in law and encouraged her to clean her diet up, she and my wife lost weight. Did gain a little back because I was eating more processed foods, I work 12hr shifts and it's hard to food prep sometimes. Also, injured myself and haven't been working out as much lately. We plan on sticking to this long term. We eat more fruits and veggies, whole grains, legumes, a little bit of nuts/seeds. No oil, or alcohol, added sugar. Supplement with D3, B12.
Yes. I did see the movie, and it had an impact on me. I have been working towards removing processed foods and dairy from my diet.

I like their magazine and it is full of delicious, relatively easy, vegan recipes.

We avoid animal products out of compassion and concern for the earth. Not only because of our health.

I really disagree with "Forks Over Knives" when it comes to the use of oils. While I agree that a greasy and fatty diet is unhealthy, I vehemently disagree with their hardline stance on moderate to low use of oil.

There is another side to this.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Yes. I did see the movie, and it had an impact on me. I have been working towards removing processed foods and dairy from my diet.

I like their magazine and it is full of delicious, relatively easy, vegan recipes.

We avoid animal products out of compassion and concern for the earth. Not only because of our health.

I really disagree with "Forks Over Knives" when it comes to the use of oils. While I agree that a greasy and fatty diet is unhealthy, I vehemently disagree with their hardline stance on moderate to low use of oil.

If I remember correctly, their stance on oils was because it is harmful to endothelial tissue, it inhibits the release of nitrate oxide. Acutely it causes the vessels to stiffen and constrict, like what happens when eating red meat. Maybe eating something with fiber at the same time would lessen that, I don't know. It's also very calorie dense.

I love animals and gave up hunting and fishing long ago. Rather spend my time outdoors hiking or kayaking, etc. Plus I don't have the patience to sit in the forest for hours waiting for a deer to cross my path. It's not safe either, hunters often kill other hunters by accident.

Dr. Greger is a good one to follow, he has a instagram and youtube account, and books.

Last edited by Matthew_MI; 09-26-2018 at 12:39 AM..

Old 09-26-2018, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Yes, I was looking for healthy alternatives to the many medications I was taking - statins, high blood pressure meds, reflux meds - and saw this documentary. I then did more research and decided to try a vegan diet. I've been vegan for over a year now, and am off all meds. I feel a million times better, with more energy, better mental health, my memory has improved tremendously (was beginning to worry about Altzheimer's). The difference in how I look and feel, both physically and mentally, is tremendous.

So, I'm personally sold on eating this way - whole food, plant based, no oil.

I will very occasionally blow my diet in a very small way - like having one chocolate treat today that came from Brazil while having lunch with friends from Brazil - and it was a special treat a friend had flown with them from Brazil. I don't ever eat meat, but I will, very occasionally, eat something that might contain eggs or milk. But, I'm talking about having one bite of something - at most once a week.

As far as my medical changed, my blood pressure is now normal, I have no more issues with reflux, and I feel so much better going off of statins. My cholesterol is still high, but that appears to be genetic, and since my memory has improved tremendously since I went off of the statins, and I don't have any heart disease, I'm guessing that the cholesterol in my body is only being created by my own body, and that it's actually helping to heal my mind and body.

Cholesterol is only put into our bodies by meat products - or - it's produced by our own bodies. I think that if my body is producing a lot of cholesterol, that my body must need it. And cholesterol is necessary for good brain function and for cells, etc. So, if my cholesterol, that is only being produced by my own body, is high, and my memory has improved tremendously, my overall health has improved tremendously, etc., then I think the cholesterol produced by my own body can't be a bad thing.

I think the medical profession still doesn't really understand cholesterol. But, it's very much in the interest of big pharm to find studies that say that high cholesterol is bad for us - so they can sell us statins, which is the most widely prescribed drug in the world, as I recall.

So, believing them, and the doctors who they have convinced to tell us we need to take this drug, doesn't serve us well. I'd rather use my own mind and logic. if I feel and look a million times better without their statin drug, even though my cholesterol is high on a vegan diet -- then I think their results from their research regarding cholesterol levels and health - is wrong.
Getting a lipid panel blood draw is very limited in regards to heart health. A patient's cholesterol could be great, and they could die of cardiac arrest the next day. The gold standard is CT calcium scoring, or called coronary calcium score(heart scan). It's a non invasive test. A CAT scan that shows exactly how much plaque is in your blood vessels, and where it's located. An angiogram/cardiac cath will do this too, but it's invasive.

Last edited by Matthew_MI; 09-26-2018 at 12:50 AM..

Old 09-26-2018, 07:38 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,899,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to sheena12 again."

Plus, I just love olive oil. I was all set to go more "plant-based," but when I read the part about no EVOO, I said no way. I was told I could make vinaigrette with water instead.

Uh-huh.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:41 PM

The issue with oil is that it's concentrated fat. And this is mainly problematic for people with heard disease.

Because, even though it's plant fat, it's still concentrated fat.

It takes approximately 44 olives to make 1 tablespoon of olive oil. So, for every tablespoon of olive oil you use, you're actually eating 44 olives.

But, since your body doesn't have to actually break down the fiber, etc., from 44 olives, the oil from the 44 olives is simply digested as straight fat, without having to use any energy to digest it, and you get zero benefit from any fiber, etc., that would have been in the 44 olives. That's a lot.

It's actually really easy to cook without oil. It's a learning curve, like anything. But, if you get cast iron cookware, you can "grill" many veggies dry on cast iron, and you can also simply add water or broth to basically steam veggies like onions, peppers or whatever.

And, you can find really good balsamic dressing vinaigrettes that don't have oil. Sprouts carries one that I use. Zero oil and it's super tasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food