Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 08:45 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Kellogg was a Seventh Day Adventist and responsible for introducing cereal as a substitute for the typical 18th century breakfast that included steak, eggs, bacon or sausages.
There were two Kellogg brothers, one was focused on healthy foods and started to create healthy cereals that unlike today had no sugars. Then there was the other Kellogg brother, who just wanted to sale food and started to create cereals with added sugars and such. Ultimately, its the latter brother that won the rights to the Kellogg name and the basis for the company today.

But, in any case, Kellogg today is by no means a health food company and mock meats don't have much to do with Seventh Day Adventist, who at least in general, eat fairly healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
"Veggie" means vegetarian; it doesn't have to contain vegetables like stringbeans and tomatoes as long as the basis of the product is plant products -- like TVP which is Textured VEGETABLE Protein -- like CORN oil, POTATO starch, things like what you see in the list here. But no, I don't know what guar gum is myself!!!
I don't think I've ever heard someone use the word "veggie" to refer to vegetarian, usually its short for vegetable. Checked the dictionary, and it says "A vegetable":

veggie - definition of veggie by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

I noticed that Morning star doesn't actually call them "veggie sausage", probably to avoid a law suit, but they seem to encourage the use of the word "veggie" in their description. Seems like an obvious attempt to make their products sound like something they aren't. After all, if they wanted to say "vegetarian" there is an entirely unambiguous word for that: vegetarian. Reminds me of the companies that put pictures of fruit on their sugary drinks that contain "5% fruit juice".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 09:41 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post

I noticed that Morning star doesn't actually call them "veggie sausage", probably to avoid a law suit, but they seem to encourage the use of the word "veggie" in their description. Seems like an obvious attempt to make their products sound like something they aren't. After all, if they wanted to say "vegetarian" there is an entirely unambiguous word for that: vegetarian. Reminds me of the companies that put pictures of fruit on their sugary drinks that contain "5% fruit juice".
I just looked at the MorningStar website and they refer to "MorningStar Farms plump and juicy breakfast veggie sausage links."

Besides......if you don't like veggie sausage links don't eat them.

But many people - veg*ns and others who enjoy a healthier substitute for meat - do enjoy them.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I just looked at the MorningStar website and they refer to "MorningStar Farms plump and juicy breakfast veggie sausage links."
Yes, in the description, but the name of the product isn't "veggie sausage links". But in any case, morningstar is being misleading because this product does not contain any vegetable...unless you want to count textured vegetable protein as a vegetable. In any case, I was just pointing out to the other poster that these products don't actually contain "veggies" just in case they were under that impression.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:21 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I do like veggie burgers. We used to get them at Sam's but I don't think they carry them anymore.
The one here carries Morningstar black bean chipotle burgers. I bought some yesterday because the girlfriend likes them. IMO they actually taste pretty good and the ingredients aren't too bad.

My problem is the price. $11 for 8 patties and the first 3 ingredients are onions, black beans, and brown rice, all of which are beyond dirt cheap (as least the black beans and brown rice, not as much so the onions). At the prices they're paying to buy this stuff in massive quantities the whole box probably has about $1 worth of ingredients in it, so it's a pretty substantial rip off.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
My problem is the price. $11 for 8 patties and the first 3 ingredients are onions, black beans, and brown rice, all of which are beyond dirt cheap (as least the black beans and brown rice, not as much so the onions). At the prices they're paying to buy this stuff in massive quantities the whole box probably has about $1 worth of ingredients in it, so it's a pretty substantial rip off.
Yeah, but this can be said of any name brand processed food. Unfortunately the sales don't seem to be high enough for the grocery stores to produce generics, which I imagine would cut the price by 30~40%. They could also create dry mixes that you hydrate, similar to say falafel mix, and I imagine that would bring the cost down to 60~70% of the morning star products. Though, it would take a bit more effort.

In the case of "veggie" burgers though, they are pretty easy to make at home and freeze for later use so you can save a lot by doing that.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:36 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Kellogg was a Seventh Day Adventist and responsible for introducing cereal as a substitute for the typical 18th century breakfast that included steak, eggs, bacon or sausages.

Kellogg also opened a few health spas at the turn of the last century - I believe in Wisconsin.
Along with Graham, (as in Graham crackers, another advocate of a meat free diet) he was a part of the health movement of the time.
The part of that chapter in history that is largely overlooked today is that the cereal diets of the famous Battle Creek sanitariums of Drs. Kellogg and Post were developed primarily to "cool excess sexual passions," as a way to combat insanity. Cold cereal, and multiple cold water showers were standard treatments for people who suffered from "nervous breakdowns."

Kind of funny to think about today when eating a nice bowl of corn flakes for breakfast.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:24 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,077 times
This has been going on since before July 4th. One regular poster hates these products and continue to post about how terrible they are.

So, don't eat them!

Seventh Day Adventists absolutely do eat these products. I have bought them from SDA "book stores". They were developed by SDA people, and earlier in Asia. Both for religious reasons.

I eat them for ethical reasons. Not for health concerns. So as another poster said list all the ingredients that you want, because I check the box to ensure that there is no meat.
As long as there is no meat, I'm good to go.

So, as July comes to a close, and those people seem to have had a nice July 4th gathering where people enjoyed what she brought, so why is this being debated any longer?
The OP never asked if she should take veggie balls or a whole food.

The thread has gone off topic and seems to have run it's course.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:12 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Yeah, but this can be said of any name brand processed food. Unfortunately the sales don't seem to be high enough for the grocery stores to produce generics, which I imagine would cut the price by 30~40%. They could also create dry mixes that you hydrate, similar to say falafel mix, and I imagine that would bring the cost down to 60~70% of the morning star products. Though, it would take a bit more effort.

In the case of "veggie" burgers though, they are pretty easy to make at home and freeze for later use so you can save a lot by doing that.
It definitely made me consider making my own. Most boxed or processed foods have a substantial markup over what it would cost to make it yourself but these are a little ridiculous.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:23 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,773 times
I know this thread is like three weeks old and the pot luck is over, but for next year or whenever the next pot luck is, try stuffed portobello mushroom burgers. My boyfriend made them at several BBQ events we attended and they are to die for. There a big hit and the non-vegetarians love them!

I can't find the recipe right now. I'll ask my boyfriend where he found when he gets back from Asia in two weeks.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:21 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,676 times
The non vegetarians loved what my wife brought. One poster continues to rant about how much he hates meat analogs and how unhealthy he thinks they are ...blah blah blah...

But those stuffed mushrooms some good, ThinkingElsewhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food