Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 01:02 PM

579 posts, read 434,511 times

Advertisements

My 10 year old son has always been vegetarian. He doesn't eat eggs (no allergy or anything - just doesn't care for them). So we tend to eat a lot of dairy-heavy food in our house - Greek yogurt, pizza, pasta with alfredo sauce, mac and cheese, etc. He does like beans, but I don't really know how to use beans as a regular part of our diet. (We mainly eat them in Mexican food). He's pretty good about eating veggies, when offered. He'll eat whole grain toast. But given the opportunity, he would totally be a junk food vegetarian, so I feel like getting enough protein in him *is* an issue. I don't like to spent a lot of time cooking, though I realize that I may need to increase this somewhat. I'm not interested in turning our household entirely vegan, but I would like to reduce the dairy consumption considerably. I'm looking for ideas for, shall I say "low dairy" (and minimal/no egg) dinners that kids (also have a 5 yo) would be apt to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 04:31 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,100,891 times
How about a black bean burger. Google is your friend with recipes.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:17 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,614,478 times
I like this lentil recipe:

Lentils With Garlic & Onion Madhur Jaffrey » Indian Recipes » Ethnic Recipes » Recipes Library - Best Free Recipes from Around the World! WWW.RECIPESLIB.COM

Although I typically top mine with a poached egg, you can serve it over basmati rice and make a sauce with some plain yogurt, lemon juice, tahini, S&P, and fresh herbs and drizzle over. There isn't much cayenne in it so it isn't hot-spicy, but if your family likes it very mild, use sweet paprika instead.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:16 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,294,392 times
In soups, you can puree white beans to make them "creamy". Pureed tofu does the same thing.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:25 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,692,186 times
I suggest avocado, it can be sliced/smeared on most things in place of meat and cheese. There is also there are also numerous chickpea and white bean spreads you can easily make. Soft tofu can be creamy like cheese - good luck. We had a vegitarian and a lactose free house for a while. It was tough.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:56 PM

569 posts, read 553,715 times
The westerners consume a lot of dairy products. So I had supposed that they get those western attitudes from them (). I had switched from the eastern dietary to the western dietary once. And sure thing, I started speaking the western-ish and acted like one. Hence I had no idea if you based your diets on the eastern side, and what you would become.

However, in the Chinese vegan diet, we mainly consume the yellow-beans; and the nowadays research discovered the high yields proteins from the yellow beans.

The most famous liquid yellow bean diet would be the soya milk. And the most well known solid yellow bean diet was tofu. And there were people who produces the vegan hams, the vegans sweat and sore pork, the vegan lamb-chops ….etc. from the soya beans. Yet some had accused the intergradient of the late comers were not totally vegetarian. However, my ways were to take the accountabilities from the stores and the packages. Yet I shall remind you that at the earliest days when the vegan food started appearing, those new products caused no little sickness on me; which meant that I couldn’t digest more than 3 pieces of them.

If you were fond of the Koshal diets, there were associations to approve the on-shelves.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:33 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,776,462 times
Making sure your kid gets some sort of whole grain and some sort of nuts, beans or seeds daily is the key to making sure he gets protein without a lot of dairy. Tofu and other soybean products definitely count. Ideas:

Vegetarian baked beans
Beans 'n' rice (especially brown rice)
Peanut-butter sandwiches on multigrain bread
Rolled oats cooked in water or fruit juice, maybe almond milk, with walnuts, pecans, almonds, etc.
Chickpea salad with some sort of nuts added
Tofu smoothies or tofu-based "cream" pies are sneaky tricks that work
Bean burritos, especially on whole-wheat lawash bread or suchlike -- with just a little cheese or with salsa only
Bean or pea soup using Liquid Smoke instead of ham for flavor -- you can also buy the vegetarian kind ready-made

I don't/can't spend a lot of time cooking either -- I just sling the ingredients in the slow cooker and walk away like it never happened. In 8 hours, voila, dinner.

Last edited by Cliffie; 11-10-2015 at 01:00 PM..

Old 11-10-2015, 11:46 PM

569 posts, read 553,715 times
I don't know how you rate food. But the Bible says the fruits from the trees shall be our meats.

Sure thing, I love fruits. But the sources where the certain fruits were from were unfavoritble to me. Therefore, my diets in Asia were mainly proteints and the chemis.

The thing was switching to the biblic dietaries that lacked proteints, which caused the increasing tempermants. But I don't know what would happen to your son, if he ate his mentioned way all the way from his youth. It was like I said that everybody was different.

If the doctors knew everything, they wouldn't stick with the jobs that they loathed so much; for the survival.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:55 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,720,422 times
We've found that are favorite vegan choices come from Indian and Thai cuisine.

For example: aloo matar curry recipe, how to make aloo matar | aloo matar gravy

I haven't the slightest idea how much on must, nor how to, modify such recipes for children.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:24 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,540,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatteredthunder View Post
My 10 year old son has always been vegetarian. He doesn't eat eggs (no allergy or anything - just doesn't care for them). So we tend to eat a lot of dairy-heavy food in our house - Greek yogurt, pizza, pasta with alfredo sauce, mac and cheese, etc. He does like beans, but I don't really know how to use beans as a regular part of our diet. (We mainly eat them in Mexican food). He's pretty good about eating veggies, when offered. He'll eat whole grain toast. But given the opportunity, he would totally be a junk food vegetarian, so I feel like getting enough protein in him *is* an issue. I don't like to spent a lot of time cooking, though I realize that I may need to increase this somewhat. I'm not interested in turning our household entirely vegan, but I would like to reduce the dairy consumption considerably. I'm looking for ideas for, shall I say "low dairy" (and minimal/no egg) dinners that kids (also have a 5 yo) would be apt to eat.

I raised both of my children as lacto-ovo vegetarians - one is now a vegan and the other eats fish occasionally. Not having "too much dairy" was always a concern of mine, and it's an easy pitfall for nor vegan vegetarians.

Here were some things that I kept on hand or prepared often -

Middle Eastern Food - Falafel sandwiches were something we ate for lunch and dinner fairly frequently. Served with tabouleh salad - made with bulgar, fresh chopped parsley, and tomatoes.
Fantastic Foods makes a good boxed Falafel and tabouleh that is available at most supermarkets.

Always kept family sized containers of hummus on hand. Great for sandwiches, wraps, as a dip with crackers or veggies.

We ate veggie burgers, meat analogues - including Nathan's meatballs (very, very good) Tofurky brand Sausages and Peppers - a big hit in our family. Commercial black bean burgers are usually very palatable - top with avocado, salsa - delish!

My children grew up with lentils - the fast food of the legume family. Lenti soup, burgers, loaf etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food