Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 10:43 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,178,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Nowadays, in medical school, vegan eating is taught as the ideal diet!
Maybe at the vegan indoctrination medical school. It is widely held (and taught) that the Mediterranean diet is the healthiest on the planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 03:44 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
Men need more calories then women, a man can't get full off of oatmeal and blueberries.
And yet there are vegan men. Imagine that!

Old 02-20-2017, 04:10 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
^Great post. It does take some adjustment.

When I ate meat, I would have vegetarian days. Now I have vegan days.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:14 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
Quote:
Men need more calories then women, a man can't get full off of oatmeal and blueberries.
Men do need more calories. All they have to do is increase the portion size. Also, there is no law saying you can't add things like a banana, or dry toast with a smear of jelly.

You can also have things like fruit with either tofu scramble or hash browns for breakfast.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I love my instapot. It makes beans so easy. About 30 minutes for unsoaked beans!
I will have to try it! Just an aside, I just ordered a Scanpan nonstick skillet from Amazon. It has a ceramic-titanium surface, and is said to be safer than other non-sticks pans.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Regarding the whole vegan thing, not just breakfast meals, Dr. Ellsworth Wareham is about 101 years old and he retired from his job as a surgeon about 5 years ago. He's vegan and always had enough energy to perform his job.

101-Year-Old Credits Vegan Diet For His Longevity | The Huffington Post

Old 02-21-2017, 02:37 PM

For anyone who might be interested, Dr. John McDougall's wife, Mary, has developed a number of low-fat plant-based recipes.

You can get them for free at his website:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/recipes/mcdougall-recipes/

You can also download an app for about $4.99:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/shopping/apps/mobile-cookbook-app/

The meals are not boring and include things like Banana Pancakes, Almond French Toast, Breakfast Burritos, Cinnamon Crunch Granola, Layered Tex-Mex Lasagna, etc.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:18 AM

844 posts, read 1,443,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
For anyone who might be interested, Dr. John McDougall's wife, Mary, has developed a number of low-fat plant-based recipes.

You can get them for free at his website:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/recipes/mcdougall-recipes/

You can also download an app for about $4.99:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/shopping/apps/mobile-cookbook-app/

The meals are not boring and include things like Banana Pancakes, Almond French Toast, Breakfast Burritos, Cinnamon Crunch Granola, Layered Tex-Mex Lasagna, etc.
I got a Dr Mcdougall book from the library several years ago. Very informative.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:28 PM

919 posts, read 609,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
I do not encourage people to eat until they feel satisfied. It takes time for fullness to register in the brain. I encourage people to eat slowly to give themselves time to feel full. Eating quickly and getting "stuffed" usually means the person overeats and no one needs that.
This is interesting. I've found that since becoming a vegetarian, I have not over eaten to the point of discomfort. Nor do I eat until I feel full but rather, I eat to my requirements & I know when I've had enough. The more active I am, the more I tend to eat.

I've noticed that many people don't thoroughly chew their food. My then wife first brought this to my attention when she complained that although she loved my green lentil dishes, they gave her stomach aches. Not understanding why, I observed that she barely chewed her food.
Watching reality shows, I've noticed that many people don't chew their food. More like chomp chomp swallow, lol.
Research has shown that those who masticate their food thoroughly, get the 'full' feeling quicker than those who wolf down food.

So yes, "eat slowly" by chewing every mouthful thoroughly

Old 03-03-2017, 06:16 PM

919 posts, read 609,757 times
Quote:
Actually, this 90kg male finds porridge (oatmeal) with milk & fruit in a 'Jethro' bowl very fulfilling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food