Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 08:08 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion777 View Post

So yes, "eat slowly" by chewing every mouthful thoroughly
That's has been my problem, and I don't know how I developed the habit of eating so quickly. But now I make a conscious effort to thoroughly chew and enjoy each mouthful.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 11:33 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Quote:
Actually, this 90kg male finds porridge (oatmeal) with milk & fruit in a 'Jethro' bowl very fulfilling.

Dare I ask what a "Jethro bowl" is?

Old 03-10-2017, 11:38 PM

473 posts, read 307,547 times
I am actually vegetarian, not vegan but

I usually make a smoothie at morning, I drink half right away and I drink another half when I come back home. My smoothie is waiting for me in the fridge.

Also, usually home made foods are hard to make just for one and just for one meal. When you buy vegetables etc. they are so big and you have so many sorts that you get lot of food to your fridge and freezer and it is fast to warm them up later.

Also some home made fruit-peanut-bars etc. are handy quick snacks.

Now if you are into raw vegan diet or something then I have no knowledge.

Old 03-11-2017, 01:08 PM

844 posts, read 1,443,241 times
Quote:
Actually, this 90kg male finds porridge (oatmeal) with milk & fruit in a 'Jethro' bowl very fulfilling.
I don't see how you do. Are you vegan or just eat oatmeal?

Old 03-11-2017, 06:07 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
I don't see how you do. Are you vegan or just eat oatmeal?
This article might explain it:

Why Oatmeal Keeps You Full
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/food-matters/why-oatmeal-keeps-you-full/

Viscosity of oatmeal or cereal appears to be a key player in promoting fullness, so my next question was naturally about what determines differences in viscosity.

“Viscosity is generated by the particular fiber in oatmeal, which is called β-glucan,” said Rebello, who is a research dietitian. “The fiber is affected by the manner in which it is processed.”

Ready-to-eat oat-based cereals, instant oatmeal and old-fashioned oatmeal are processed differently, which can lead their β-glucan to have a different structure and result in a different viscosity.

So if you find yourself feeling satisfied until lunch after a bowl of instant oatmeal, now you’ll know why.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:17 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Dare I ask what a "Jethro bowl" is?
I think it's self-explanatory...as long as you have seen The Beverly Hillbillies at some point in your life!

Old 06-16-2017, 10:33 PM

910 posts, read 2,293,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
I eat subs and soup when I want a quick bite to eat. I sometimes eat Lentils and bread, as I'm trying to EASE into be vegan, but its hard.

When people make vegan meals it looks like it takes 30-40 minutes per meal.
Entirely not the case with me! I'm over 60, an adrenal fatigue sufferer with sleepin problems still on the mend, who became a vegan only 1 1/2 yrs. after 5 weeks of being a lacto-vegetarian. The first thing I noticed is that cooking or prepping a lot of my meals took a LOT less time than the meat-centered ones (except maybe for fish which cooks quickly). I was really delighted because there are quite a few days when I don't feel like cooking at all, so, from the start, "batch cooking" became a must for me. As long as I had cooked beans and rice in the freezer I could build a nutritious meal in a few minutes. On the good days I'd spend a while chopping veggies for stirfry or "fried rice" and I'd eat them with rice noodles or brown or white rice. On those good days I could chop a ton of veggies and not mind it at all, once I used 14 veggies (counting onions and garlic) in a stirfry, but then cooking them was done in 5 min.

On a few lazy days I've used frozen veggies or canned beans to complete a meal. A little chopping is also required when having my vegan tacos, and at first I also used a few more veggies than I do now. Now shredded lettuce and carrot, chopped avocados and tomatoes over warmed corn tortillas spread with fat-free refried beans or hummus and then topped with some salsa is enough and at most takes me 10 min. to prepare and I feel full for hours. And speaking of lazy, the other day I watched several videos of "cheaplazyvegan" who has 10 and 5 min. meals and I tried her pasta in pumpkin sauce from the 10 min. ones (with a bit of skepticism) and it was better than I'd expected. I just added broccoli to the mast at the end of cooking to make the meal more "complete".

I had believed I was hypoglicemic (diagnosed over 30 years ago) which was my greatest excuse to not even try a vegetarian diet because I'd learned I "needed" animal protein at every meal and carbs were the "enemy". But I learned the hard way that was dead wrong. When I began to change my diet, mainly due to constant indigestion, I went one meal at a time and to my utter shock I was often MORE satisfied than before and slept better. I'd actually accidentally discovered that years earlier when all I could eat late one night was a salad with no "protein" and slept better than I had been. Joel Furhman calls most cases of hypoglycemia "toxic hunger" and when I first heard that like 5-6 years ago I was incensed but then had to "eat humble pie". Then I felt pretty angry at having been lied to for so long. I could've been a happy vegan long ago. Yes, happy because I got instantly cured from the tendency to be depressed in varying degrees almost all the time, which I'd suffered from during most of my adult life.

Since I had no idea of how to make tasty nutritionally complete meals, at first I spent a lot of time looking at vegan recipes online and "what I ate today" videos on YouTube. I soon got the hang of it though and settled for several favorite easy go-to meals. And although I make some tasty lentil burgers at home I often buy a type or 2 sold at Aldi. I also buy Gardein's beefless ground and make Latin "picadillo", chili with beans or mix with bottled spaghetti sauce. I also buy their "meatballs", love them with spaghetti sauce with the wider rice vermicelli sold at Asian stores (I'm gluten intolerant, possibly celiac). Recently I got bored with the same foods and that's what led me back to YT, there are TONS of recipes and ideas there to suit every taste and budget.

Oatmeal has never really satisfied me for long though, most of the time I eat it when I want to go back to sleep, it seems to help me get sleepy fast, so I guess it depends on the person. But because of my irregular hours I'm not hung up on having "breakfast foods" after I get up, I just eat whatever I feel like or have on hand, same at any other meal.

So, like a job? Oh no, more like a fun adventure or a comfy routine, depending on the day. But I do confess that before I took the plunge I too thought it was a lot more work and complicated too. You did the right thing in coming here and asking because that kind of thinking comes from the huge lack of information most of us had about vegetarian and vegan diets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food