Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2017, 10:30 AM

48,564 posts, read 34,949,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
The gladiators were called barley men, because they just ate mostly barley, wheat and beans - basically a vegan diet. They were quite healthy and strong. So, gotta disagree.

Gladiators were 'mostly vegetarian' - BBC News
Exactly - everything I have read on the development of civilization has been that is was built on the back of agriculture.

Historically, the people who showed (the most) heart disease, gout and other similar diseases were the nobility. They were the only ones who could afford meat, sugar and salt on a regular basis.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-06-2017, 06:30 AM

724 posts, read 594,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Wrong. Most traditional Asian diets consist of rice and veggies. South American, if I recall correctly, was mostly about potatoes. American Southwest - the three sisters: corn, beans and squash.

The gladiators were called barley men because they existed mainly on barley.

You need to research your subject before you can argue it with sophistication. Otherwise, you are no better than the supposed holier-than-thou people you claim to be better than, with your supposed flawed knowledge.

Yeesh, if you don't want to be vegan, don't.

My animal-rich diet got me nothing but high blood pressure, high cholesterol and high triglycerides, reflux, and all of the medications to combat all of the above.

I'm now off of all of those medications, feel much better and my blood pressure is way down and I'm losing weight.

It's working for me. If you're not interested, so be it.

But, if you want to say that no civilization existed on a vegan diet, you're wrong and you need to go actually read some history.
Rice and veggies and fish sauce. Eggs. Honey. Don’t confuse lack of available animal protein with denial of protein. Cite one article, archeological, hell....any scientific article that delineates a large group of people that were historically vegan. You can’t, it doesn’t exist. I dare you to prove it. Precious.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:41 AM

724 posts, read 594,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I think it is fair to say that most civilizations relied very heavy on vegetarian staples. The very definition of civilization is grounded on the existence of surpluses of staple grain crops as the caloric base of diet for the masses of population.

That in itself in not necessarily healthy as in a lot of early civilizations, most people not only ate very little meat, they ate relatively little fruit or vegetables either. The majority of peasants ate grain gruel (whether wheat, barley, or rice) and breads of one sort or another.

But that just makes those societies (functionally) vegetarian, not vegan. Most people ate what animal products they could get when they could get it. Veganism is a philosophy on what food one chooses to eat once one has the luxury of choice. Most people chose to survive by any means possible.

^^^^^ this all the way. When animal protein was available, which was rare, it was consumed with gusto by any and all cultures. That is a fact proven by stacks of archeological data. Again, willful denial of ALL animal protein in one’s diet is an affectation of the entitled and deranged.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:10 AM

14,358 posts, read 11,758,960 times
Anyone who thinks Asians eat nothing but rice and vegetables has never been to Asia. Heck, they haven't even been to an Asian restaurant.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Anyone who thinks Asians eat nothing but rice and vegetables has never been to Asia. Heck, they haven't even been to an Asian restaurant.
I've been to Asia, and I live in a predominantly Asian state. Traditional diets are very low in meat, higher in fish, veggies and rice.

Think of Pho and ramen, just a slice of meat, or some meat balls, bento plates usually only have a little meat, Thai dishes are mainly noodles and fish, etc. When I eat at my friend's house, traditional Chinese, it's mainly plates of various veggies, and a side of meat, lots of rice. Korean food comes with a choice of multiple veggies at every restaurant.

They eat red meat and chicken, just in much smaller quantities than most American diets. Though most large cities have certainly adapted to offer those options if you want.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:29 AM

923 posts, read 528,037 times
If this thread is shifting to what, where, when, why, how, people eat; then it's obvious that from the beginning of time people ate LOCAL resources. Today, transportation has made tomatoes available to us in January in the colder climates....beef along the coast, fish where there isn't water for over 100 miles.

That's why we are omnivores. We now can select what we wish to eat, what we WANT to eat, not what we must or have to eat.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:45 PM

88,677 posts, read 84,998,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
When my dd (vegan) first moved to Beijing, she sent pics of the street carts selling baby shark, snake, scorpion, and spider on a stick.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
When my dd (vegan) first moved to Beijing, she sent pics of the street carts selling baby shark, snake, scorpion, and spider on a stick.
Lots of pig on stick too... snouts, ears...

Old 11-06-2017, 01:35 PM

88,677 posts, read 84,998,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Lots of pig on stick too... snouts, ears...
When she went to school in the Sichuan province, she said people walked around gnawing on rabbit heads.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:32 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,012,495 times
It is entertaining to read comments implying that vegetarians/vegans are somehow weaker than meat-eaters, despite the fact that the largest, strongest land animals -- past and present, from brontosaurus to elephants -- are/were all vegetarian.

My personal experience, once making the shift to a mostly plant-based diet (I still eat small portions of fish and egg white powder for protein shakes) is all I needed to convince me that plant-based is the way to go. Weight, cardiovascular health, strength and endurance all improved. (I effectively quadrupled my workout routines and complete them is less time, while simultaneously gaining lean muscle mass and losing weight. People say I look bigger and are perplexed when I tell them I am at least 12 pounds lighter than they remember). Even skin tone is noticeably clearer.

A lot of the argument is about preference, which is fine, however, I cannot honestly be sympathetic to a meat eater's high blood pressure, obesity, type 2 diabetes, or erectile dysfunction (caused by cholesterol clogging penile arteries) because they are all self-inflicted.

I agree that if people saw how animals are raised and slaughtered they would be less inclined to eat meat. But the real issue is taste: Many years have been spent making meat products tasty. Drop raw chicken, pork or beef in a pot with no seasonings and people would not eat as much of it. The vegetarian industry (if there is such a thing) has a lot of work to do to make a veggie burger taste as good, or better, than Popeye's chicken. At that point, the switch will be effortless, and threads like these will not exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.