Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2017, 06:20 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,003,209 times

Advertisements

I do very well on relatively high meat diets. This is best when combined with a one-day vegan "fast" thrown in once in a while.

I like the pre-converted LA and DHA. The pre-converted Vitamin K2. The pre-converted Vitamin A. The pre-converted B vitamins. The animal-preferred amino acid balance. You get the idea.

I have auto-immune disease. Most plant foods cause a reaction, even things that you wouldn't thing.

My libido is higher on a diet with meat.

My gut doesn't tolerate veggies a whole lot. And yes, I do actively eat fermented veggies/sauerkraut as well as raw veggies.

Veggies always get stuck in my nasal passages. One of the few things that don't do this is rare steak. Ground beef especially gets stuck in there.

It tastes good. And satisfies me in ways that veggies (even protein rich) can't.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:31 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,011,547 times
Responses in blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I would not be stepping in front of a bus because I pay attention to my surroundings all the time and do not attempt to walk and text.

But you pay little attention to health risks...

Besides that there are many other things that can kill you so it is generally best to look at the entire forest and not one individual tree.

That's what this thread is about: The entire forest includes the discussion of animal vs plant diets, and the benefits/pitfalls of each.

In addition, you still appear to not understand it is no one's business what I purchase and eat except for me and you shoving your *absolute truth* in my face is not going to be tolerated.

Out of curiosity, what exactly could you do, other than throw fits online?

How about me asking you: Where's the pot roast? Chicken? pork chops?

Answer: We don't have that.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:14 AM

724 posts, read 593,580 times
I’ll tell you why I don’t like veganism, other than the fact that it often is accompanied by a holier-than-thou attitude. How I read your post: “I watched a documentary on YouTube so you are stupid.” You are entitled and precious. If you were to place yourself in the shoes of most of the world’s people, outside of your pouty suburban bubble, they would rightly think you are insane to sanctimoniously remove great sources of protein from your diet and you would quickly starve. Name one traditional culinary pedigree that is vegan? You can’t because it’s total BS. Veganism is the ultimate paradigm of entitlement.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:55 PM

47 posts, read 23,801 times
I think depends on the person or community that do vegan. In Philippines we actually have lot of vegan recipes and good cooks. Sometimes everyone think PI is just heavy fat and starchy food in our restaurants, but in fact lot of Filipino cooking is vegan, its cheaper, sometimes more available protein and high quality, less environment damage of our soils. Our vegan tradition has lot of beans and good plant protein that is complete protein source. No one has problem with vegans and vegans no problem with non vegans, no one throws it in anyone's face. It's just matter of what works best, vegan tradition just makes sense for a lot of diet,s same way a lot people in Lebanon do vegan tradition.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:59 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,832,599 times
Those cow farts are killing the planet.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:09 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafo1981 View Post
Name one traditional culinary pedigree that is vegan? You can’t because it’s total BS. Veganism is the ultimate paradigm of entitlement.
Wrong. Most traditional Asian diets consist of rice and veggies. South American, if I recall correctly, was mostly about potatoes. American Southwest - the three sisters: corn, beans and squash.

The gladiators were called barley men because they existed mainly on barley.

You need to research your subject before you can argue it with sophistication. Otherwise, you are no better than the supposed holier-than-thou people you claim to be better than, with your supposed flawed knowledge.

Yeesh, if you don't want to be vegan, don't.

My animal-rich diet got me nothing but high blood pressure, high cholesterol and high triglycerides, reflux, and all of the medications to combat all of the above.

I'm now off of all of those medications, feel much better and my blood pressure is way down and I'm losing weight.

It's working for me. If you're not interested, so be it.

But, if you want to say that no civilization existed on a vegan diet, you're wrong and you need to go actually read some history.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:54 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

Wrong. Most traditional Asian diets consist of rice and veggies. Along with fish

South American, if I recall correctly, was mostly about potatoes. And roast guinea pig

American Southwest - the three sisters: corn, beans and squash. And venison

The gladiators were called barley men because they existed mainly on barley. And fish and dairy

But, if you want to say that no civilization existed on a vegan diet, you're wrong and you need to go actually read some history.
I think it is fair to say that most civilizations relied very heavy on vegetarian staples. The very definition of civilization is grounded on the existence of surpluses of staple grain crops as the caloric base of diet for the masses of population.

That in itself in not necessarily healthy as in a lot of early civilizations, most people not only ate very little meat, they ate relatively little fruit or vegetables either. The majority of peasants ate grain gruel (whether wheat, barley, or rice) and breads of one sort or another.

But that just makes those societies (functionally) vegetarian, not vegan. Most people ate what animal products they could get when they could get it. Veganism is a philosophy on what food one chooses to eat once one has the luxury of choice. Most people chose to survive by any means possible.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:45 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
The concept of it is fine, but I've lived with rather inflexible vegans - one former flatmate, and my husband now. I tend to enjoy meals I can actually bite into - like chicken thighs or longanisa sausages. I like real substance. And since I try to avoid soy and wheat, that doesn't leave me with many options for replicating that with vegan substitutes.

Honestly, I'm bored to death of vegan stews and broccoli rice. I like fruits, veggies, grains and legumes, but living on those makes me feel permanently deprived.

I've resorted to going out behind his back and ordering food I want on the sly. Kinda sucks to live that way, but he's that hysterical about us needing to eat 100% vegan for health reasons. He doesn't even like it, but he's convinced that his body responds best to vegan foods only, and insists that I follow suit so that he doesn't get tempted to fall off track.

Annoying. Makes me wonder if there's something to the blood type diets. He's A, I'm B, and our preferred diets really clash. I'm happiest eating mostly vegan except for having meat 3x a week (in only one meal). It's not even like I'm a habitual burger fiend or want steak every night. And I'm definitely not interested in trying to dictate his diet - if he wants to be vegan, fine. Just let me cook meat for myself. damn.

That's the issue I have with veganism in general...I associate it with controlling tendencies based on my own experiences.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLikeable View Post
Not really valid if the choice kills you
We all die, sweetpea.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Oh boy Eating protein and fat is part of a balanced diet. The oldest people in the world over 110 ate meat all of their lives. Such FUD.

It's ok to not like meat but don't try and work that angle.
I try to tell my militant vegan husband this. *whooooosh*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food