Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2017, 01:20 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,530,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLikeable View Post
Not really valid if the choice kills you
Death is a natural part of the life cycle. We are all going to die, albeit, some sooner than others. I have no issue with folks choosing to be vegan. But, food is one of life's great pleasures. I will not deny myself fresh seafood or aged cheese with my wine because it might be harmful. Life is for the living. Do what you enjoy. It's all about living in the moment.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
Why are people against veganism? I think it's a cultural thing. We are Americans. We are supposed to kill animals and eat them. It's manly. What's more american than a hot dog.

Plus, we have all been brainwashed by corporations. For decades they tell us what we should eat and that it's good for us. And they have corporate sponsored studies to prove it.
and are you saying this is part of the American culture? Have you traveled outside America? Obviously not, most countries eat meat, some a lot more than Americans.

BTW, not decades, but for generations we have been told what is and is not good for us. Yes, those studies, regardless of which side have been documented, but that means very little.

I have also noticed the op has never come back. My guess a kid and when he/she started reading responses they decided to take their agenda someplace else.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:04 AM

10 posts, read 6,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Many years ago my late wife and I acquired several chickens as pets. We got them to have fresh egg, but we knew we could never harm an animal who lived with us. It quickly went beyond that. We could no longer eat chickens nor any other birds. I think the solution is to introduce children to animals whom people commonly eat. Some won't care, but others will. Suppose that the number of vegetarians and vegans doubled? Think how many lives would be saved.
I concur. I'm not a vegan but I'm trying to reduce my consumption of meat, and if I become a parent someday (which I hope I won't), I'd have my kids befriend the animals and have them make their natural choice of food.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:09 AM

10 posts, read 6,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Death is a natural part of the life cycle. We are all going to die, albeit, some sooner than others. I have no issue with folks choosing to be vegan. But, food is one of life's great pleasures. I will not deny myself fresh seafood or aged cheese with my wine because it might be harmful. Life is for the living. Do what you enjoy. It's all about living in the moment.
I'm not debating on the choices, but I don't think we should eat junk food because "We are all going to die". Yes we are all going to die, some sooner than others, but it's not how long you live, it's about how you feel every day and the quality of the life that you enjoy. Junk food can make you feel sluggish and exhausted, and I don't think you'll enjoy life that much that way.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:36 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
Why People are so against Veganism? (junk food, food, vegetables, grocery store)

Because like "Born Again" Christians Vegans seem to feel specially entitled to preach their gospel anywhere and all the time, and they are a big pain in the rump with their raving.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:45 PM

526 posts, read 376,867 times
I think that the majority of people have nothing against vegans. But sometimes the vegans are become aggressive...for some years now in Italy it is spoken a lot of this, there are much meeting in TV where vegans and omnivores are confronted, unfortunately vegans, often, too often, they are aggressive and intolerant against who don't think like them. This also happens in the restaurants, the majority part of the restaurants don't make vegan dishes but a traditional cuisine, some vegans when don't see specific vegan dishes we react very hard against the restaurant.
All of this has created a clash that, for me, it could be avoided.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:41 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,765,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Why People are so against Veganism? (junk food, food, vegetables, grocery store)

Because like "Born Again" Christians Vegans seem to feel specially entitled to preach their gospel anywhere and all the time, and they are a big pain in the rump with their raving.

Have people really had a problem with this? It's a stereotype but I've never known a single vegan who got preachy about it.

In my opinion, people want to make all their own loosely-held, temporary opinions and lifestyle choices into life-or-death political positions that they are going to beat you over the head with until you frikkin' well submit. A good example of that is the typical Atkins Diet fanatic on this very site. I once posted a vegetable soup recipe that made something like a gallon of soup, and was thickened with a half cup of rolled oats. The Atkins piranhas came after me and went on for paragraph after paragraph about how if I eat all those CARBS I'm going to DIE and it will be HORRIBLE and THEN I'LL BE SORRY. I couldn't believe how worked up they all got. If it's not a zero-carb diet, it's the paleo one, or gun rights, or abortion. Can't we just agree to disagree? If you don't want to eat my soup, go eat something else for Pete's sake.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:31 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,011,547 times
Quote:
How can we change the world if the world doesn't want to be changed?
You don't. You let the world die, occupying yourself by preparing for the aftermath, rather than engaging in a futile fight.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:50 PM

923 posts, read 526,978 times
Quote:
Made my mom watch " What the health". The movie talks about the dangers of eating animal products. Short term and long. Heart disease, diabetes, cancer, osteoporosis. even with out the health issues the toll on the earth is unimaginable. I like this movie because it breaks it down with the facts, doctors, nutritionist and people who were actually going through these diseases. I work at a grocery store and I see people spend $100 or more on junk food and call it " necessity". And sometimes Ill ask " Where are the fruits and vegetables?" or " Wheres the real food?, this stuffs bad for you!". Deep down they know its bad but people do it ANYWAY! one lady even replied " Well.. I'm gonna die someday" as if that justifies living on junk 24 hours a day. The truth is people want to be lied to. They don't want someone telling them that they're favorite food could lead to an untimely death. After my mom saw the documentary she buys a fryer ( to fry foods) a week later. And its just proof that most are so brainwashed by the media so much that even when the truth is revealed they won't accept it. How can we change the world if the world doesn't want to be changed?
Something to think about, did you ever think that you could possibly be brainwashed?

Everyone has their guilty pleasures. It can be anything from corn on the cob to tomatoes, a snickers bar, a steak, or a 6 pk of beer.
What people buy from the grocery store to the take out restaurant doesn't mean that "that" is all they eat.

Someone could buy nothing but steak, but at home they have fruits and veggies in their garden and make their own pasta.
I went to a drive through and bought nothing but a family order of fries, tater tots, and onion rings. THAT is a disgusting diet, but it was what I was to bring to a party with home grown veggies/fruit and steak. I didn't eat any of the fried crap. So how can you judge someone without knowing the whole truth?

Moderation is the key to everything. A glass of wine a day is good for you, but not a case. 4-6 oz steak is good for you, not 96 oz. A tomato is good for you, but not a bushel. etc.

The media will show the radicals. The people who beat animals, the people who are drunks, the bad drivers, the murders, etc. These shows like Food, Inc, etc are a load of crap and I can prove it. But some people will suck it in without ever doing their own research or thinking for themselves.

Really, does McD's make people obese? Someone who dies of heart disease that hasn't had meat for 20 years, so it's because of the meat he had in his 20's killed him?
People will do what they want and blame who they want.

Have a good weekend! Has been a very interesting and thought provoking thread!
Take care!
H&K

Old 09-08-2017, 05:45 PM

465 posts, read 236,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
People aren't against it. They are making a personal choice to not choose veganism. Both choices are valid.
No meat-eating diets will pass through the traps Jesus has.

How would you like it if you were ground up for the salads.

If a tiger can be made into meat who uses its coat for rugs?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food