Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2022, 09:04 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times

Advertisements

Kimchi is easy to make. I make a type that has pears in it. There are probably hundreds of different types of kimchi.

Here's a good article on kimchi, along with a recipe on how to make it with pears. It takes literally minutes to make it, after you let the cabbage sit for an hour with salt on it. If you don't like fish sauce or anything like that, just don't put it in there. I don't.

https://www.ohmyfoodrecipes.com/home...9%80%EC%B9%98/

Kimchi is a very forgiving dish - LOL. Yum. I love Korean food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2022, 09:15 PM

61,659 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Definitely a super food and I love it!
It's so beneficial. And yes, Korean food is fantastic!

Old 02-19-2022, 01:39 PM

6,452 posts, read 3,971,294 times
I keep meaning to try one of the veg{etari}an kimchis-- I love kimchi and am heartbroken that practically by definition it's not vegetarian-- but they're so expensive. (But I've also not gathered the energy to try making it myself...)

Old 02-19-2022, 02:12 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I keep meaning to try one of the veg{etari}an kimchis-- I love kimchi and am heartbroken that practically by definition it's not vegetarian-- but they're so expensive. (But I've also not gathered the energy to try making it myself...)
Why would it not be vegetarian? I just checked mine and it's vegan.... not on purpose, it's just a vegan dish as is
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-19-2022, 03:05 PM

13,062 posts, read 7,497,585 times
Quote:
Make your own.
I do a variation, in a crock pot, 2 quart mason jar, coarsely chop cabbage, 4-7 tbs non iodine salt (more than salty but not as salty as seawater), dechlorinized water, not hot, add seasoning, add cabbage. Add enough water or cabbage to have water to just covering vegs. Cover but not air tight CO2 will be produced. Place in a warm spot, not cool, room temp is OK. Place container into another container since, the volume will increase slighlty and you want to catch the excess rather than excess liquid destroys your floor or countertop. Use any type of dry seasoning, a teaspoon or each, more red peppers for heat. Second day, squish down the cabbage to insure all veg is under liquid, repeat daily. You should see some bubbles formed from the fermentation on the second day or see a volume expansion. Should be OK on 4day . Better on 6th day. By 8 day, all fermentation should have ended.

Last edited by leastprime; 02-19-2022 at 03:35 PM..

Old 02-19-2022, 03:22 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Definitely a super food and I love it!
It's so beneficial. And yes, Korean food is fantastic!
I generally like Korean and just about every foreign (to the U.S.) food. My son is getting me hooked on Kimchi.

Old 02-20-2022, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Why would it not be vegetarian? I just checked mine and it's vegan.... not on purpose, it's just a vegan dish as is
It's usually made with fish sauce and/or shrimp paste. There are people who think omiting those things will make an inferior kimchi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Make your own.
I do a variation, in a crock pot, 2 quart mason jar, coarsely chop cabbage, 4-7 tbs non iodine salt (more than salty but not as salty as seawater), dechlorinized water, not hot, add seasoning, add cabbage. Add enough water or cabbage to have water to just covering vegs. Cover but not air tight CO2 will be produced. Place in a warm spot, not cool, room temp is OK. Place container into another container since, the volume will increase slighlty and you want to catch the excess rather than excess liquid destroys your floor or countertop. Use any type of dry seasoning, a teaspoon or each, more red peppers for heat. Second day, squish down the cabbage to insure all veg is under liquid, repeat daily. You should see some bubbles formed from the fermentation on the second day or see a volume expansion. Should be OK on 4day . Better on 6th day. By 8 day, all fermentation should have ended.
As noted:
Quote:
(But I've also not gathered the energy to try making it myself...)
Eventually I will probably feel like doing all that to try it. Right now is not the that time.

Old 02-20-2022, 08:40 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
It's usually made with fish sauce and/or shrimp paste. There are people who think omiting those things will make an inferior kimchi.

As noted:

Eventually I will probably feel like doing all that to try it. Right now is not the that time.

Wait.... you want vegetarian kimchee, but then say it's inferior if there is no shrimp paste or fish sauce.

Which is it?

Most that I pick up from the store is vegetarian, so it is easy to find. I'm in a rural area. I've had all kinds of kim chee, I couldn't tell you which had fish sauce and such. Some I've had I liked more than others, but it's pretty good across the board.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-24-2022, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Wait.... you want vegetarian kimchee, but then say it's inferior if there is no shrimp paste or fish sauce.

Which is it?

Most that I pick up from the store is vegetarian, so it is easy to find. I'm in a rural area. I've had all kinds of kim chee, I couldn't tell you which had fish sauce and such. Some I've had I liked more than others, but it's pretty good across the board.
I didn't say that. I said SOME people say that, as in, those ingredients are a big part of the unique taste of kimchi.

I've seen the vegetarian brands, but they're always in the "special vegetarian section" and pricey to match. I've never seen kimchi that isn't specifically created and advertised as vegetarian that lacks the fish sauce or shrimp paste.

Quote:

Old 02-24-2022, 04:47 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
[quote=K12144;62938704]It's usually made with fish sauce and/or shrimp paste. There are people who think omiting those things will make an inferior kimchi.

/QUOTE]

Oh well, I omit them anyway and mine tastes fine to me. I mean, it IS for me so I don't care what anyone else thinks - LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food