Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2022, 02:13 AM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times

Advertisements

Because of health issues, my doctor wants me to eat flax seed. I'm not familiar with it. I know someone who is vegan & they gave me some. They said they use it as a egg replacement/emulsifier, but no other ideas. I am not vegan or vegetarian, I don't believe I have eaten flax seed before, so all suggestions appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2022, 03:45 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,156,308 times
Bob's Red Mill sells one pound sacks of whole ground flaxseed meal. (I know grinding them may reduce health benefits but Bob's packaging claims to use a cold process for retention of the oils and the sacks are dated for freshness. Additionally, some may find whole seeds difficult to digest, which likely defeats some of the benefits if whole seeds are used)

I use this in my baking (as a substitute for some of the flour) and in my morning oatmeal or pancake batter. It adds a nice crunch. As I'm writing this, I'm thinking it could also be added to casseroles. It might be tasty mixed with parmesan on top of mac and cheese, put it under the broiler a bit in order to get that nice crunch.

Old 12-18-2022, 05:46 PM

24,473 posts, read 10,804,014 times
I add them to homemade crackers. If you want a recipe please let me know. Sprinkle them on yoghurt, add them to cereal. Actually - soak the little beasties for an our or so in warm water or broth. I like yoghurt/cottage cheese with savory toppings.

Old 12-19-2022, 05:35 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Really good mixed into cottage-cheese.

Old 12-19-2022, 09:24 AM

Thank you for all the suggestions!

Old 12-19-2022, 10:04 AM

126,264 posts, read 19,031,286 times
Flaxseeds are perfect in smoothies,in a salad vinaigrette,,sprinkled over porridge,added in homemade granola bars .I also use them in home baked buns and bread and have hidden them in vegetable and lentil burgers.

Old 12-19-2022, 11:19 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
Can't help you with the suggestions, those are made above. But thought some people may appreciate some interesting facts about flax seeds.

Flax seeds are linseeds. Linseed oil has been used for hundreds of years by artists to help facilitate paint across canvas. (I am one, so I know, lol) It also helps cure cloth canvases.

It is/was also the basis for linoleum, the flooring sheets many are familiar with. It has also been used to weave cloth, before the influx of cotton, which then displaced it.

It has been used as fodder for cattle and other herding animals for centuries. It has many uses that today, may go unnoticed.

I know it's off-topic, but it is interesting the ancient uses of plants that we as modern humans seem to forget as time marches on.

Oh, and yes, it has also been consumed for the same amount of time, and is deemed healthy for many maladies. So keep eating it, the oil is very beneficial.

Old 12-20-2022, 08:13 AM

3,687 posts, read 2,408,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
Because of health issues, my doctor wants me to eat flax seed. I'm not familiar with it. I know someone who is vegan & they gave me some. They said they use it as a egg replacement/emulsifier, but no other ideas. I am not vegan or vegetarian, I don't believe I have eaten flax seed before, so all suggestions appreciated!
As I assume you know,

It has to be grinded / ground up before you eat it.

It goes well with Oats and really well in yogurt.

Yum.

Old 12-20-2022, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
As I assume you know,

It has to be grinded / ground up before you eat it.

It goes well with Oats and really well in yogurt.

Yum.
Yes, I do know that. I only have a coffee bean grinder, which does a so-so job. Is there a better type of grinder?

Old 12-20-2022, 08:25 PM

9,398 posts, read 11,147,212 times
I would throw it out and get some peanut butter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food